The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video Distribution
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 12:45 AM
New Church Media Member

Video Wall 3x3 Setup

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a 3x3 video wall setup for church. My church is planning on installing a 3x3 (46 inch display setup) directly behind the stage and I'm having trouble finding a server card that can control the video wall. Primary the graphic card is the issue since I can't find one that will support 9 monitors and expand the window across. (1080p per display at 1920 x 1080). Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Church Media Expert

Last time I used a 'wonder wall' of this size we were using bespoke graphics hardware which cost a fortune...

Dave
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Insert Witty Comment Here

When you say primary graphics card, I will assuming your talking about the graphics card in your computer.

Thats not how this is done usually. The simplest way to to have a single output from your computer, which runs into a video wall processor, which will give you 9 outputs to run into each of your video wall monitors.

1080p on each display is being ridiculously ambitious. That means your computer would need to be outputting 5760x3240. You'd need one mean super computer to be able to keep up with graphics that size, and I don't think there is a video connection standard currently that will support that sort of resolution; and no one will notice the quality difference.

I think if you can feed 1080p into your video wall processor, that will be more than sufficient quality.

This is the sort of video wall processor your'll need:
http://www.avenview.com/9-display-im...76922c915c9d12

or

http://www.markertek.com/Interface-S...VW-09XAS.xhtml

As you can see, its not a cheap thing to do by any stretch of the imagination.
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Church Media Regular

Zac is right - it is generally done with a videowall processor, however, depending on your display, you may not have to. Some professional displays have a built-in tiling feature. Do you know what displays you're planning to use?
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM
New Church Media Member

I plan on using 9 of the SAMSUNG 460UX-2 (3x3 setup). It says that it has a built in video wall processor. Is it possible to mount them using standard screen mounts (low profile) and then having them measured so there's no gap in between the screens. They have the custom video wall mounts for the Samsung screen, but they cost a fortune. Thanks for all the help.
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Church Media Regular

I had this dilemma last summer and what I ended up doing was finding flat panel screens that have the zoom feature. I used a 9-way splitter and zoomed each screen in to a different section of the image.

The borders around the screens made it difficult for the faces as far as the live video was concerned but it was great for the graphical effects.
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Church Media Regular

Those samsungs should work pretty well for this application. The way you need to do it to use the built in processor is what Ted suggested. You take your 2nd monitor output and feed it into a distribution amp and send the same signal to every display. If my memory is correct - the biggest resolution these displays will accept is 1920x1080 - so basically what happens is that it splits the 1920x1080 image up into 9 sections and displays one section on each display. You're sorta losing resolution this way... the expensive video wall processors do alot of scaling and processing to make it look good when you split the image up - but for this application i would think the built in processor should work alright. You probably won't be that close to it, and you won't be showing really fine resolution stuff like a spreadsheet or something.
Old Tuesday, April 27th, 2010, 04:30 PM
New Church Media Member

Oh okay thanks for all the help. Do you also have any recommendations on the monitor (such as a regular monitor that could be used and then attached to the rackmounted video wall processor.)

Budget is around $20,000 so I only have around $10,000 to work with for 9 displays.
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Church Media Regular

The Matrox 9140? is a 4 headed pci-e dvi card. We have one.
AFAIK, you can use 2 that will get you to eight then maybe a Matrox G-550 dual headed pci-e card to serve as 9 and 10.

The nice thing about the Matrox is the utilities that allow you to pool the cards.

You can hook those DVI outputs up to DVI to HDMI cables.

We did that but our pc is miles (well ok a long way) from the stage. So we used cat6e cable and hdmi extenders I got from eBay.

Works great!
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
New Church Media Member

Do use your matrox for a video wall? Im concerned that the lyrics will be cut off in a video wall setup. The multimedia software used is mediashout 3.5
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Insert Witty Comment Here

I don't think trying to run multiple outputs out of the computer is the best way to go. As far as i'm aware, the worship software packages are not designed for this sort of thing, although i'd gladly be proved wrong on that one.
Old Wednesday, April 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Church Media Regular

No. We clone 1 DVI signal from it by splitting it and it goes to two big lcds in front in stereo fashion. Another DVI goes to the back wall where the choir lyric feed is driven. We are using Worship Him from Freedom Software.

The Matrox allows you to extend the windows desktop across all those monitors using windows monitor extension and placement.

I don't see how words might be cut off as Windows is responsible for the wall and support for such a notion began I believe with XP.

The 9140 isn't the only Matrox that sports quad DVI either. I just checked on eBay and there are a boat load of Matrox quad DVI cards.

You can get one of those cards and start small with a 2x2 setup using small desktop LCDs to prove the concept before going bigger.

That said, The software we use only lets us specify a single monitor number for presentation. I don't know how you might "combine" a bunch of screens to make it look like 1 monitor to an app. Good question. I've never tried a wall but there are some cards with outputs.

This just in *** Googling video wall produced video wall processors.

I am out of my league here. Sorry to waste your time.

There is also video wall software but I can't post links yet.

Best of blessings as you go.
Sounds fun.

:Ron

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video Distribution