The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video and Film Cameras
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 09:08 AM
New Church Media Member

New Cameras

We are looking at starting a second worship venue in our existing building and will be doing IMAG in order to stream the message there.

My specific question is about cameras. What should I be looking at? The camera distance is about 45ft to the stage and I would like to be able to control iris, gain, etc from the booth. I'd say my budget is $10-15k per camera. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Church Media Mentor

Do you want a hard edged studio type camera (Sony BVP 900) or are you looking at something that has more of a lower profile (Sony BVP950)? The BVP E10 is a nice unit (a bit over your price range), and so is the Ikegami HL60.

Are you open to used equipment?

Also are you open to wide screen standard definition (which would be my recommendation)?

Mike
Old Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

I finished upgrading our video about 6 months ago and used Sony HDR-NX5U's for the cameras. While they wouldn't be considered broadcast they produce an image better than alot of what i see on TV. They can be used with Sony's Lanc control and the cameras have SDI outputs for clean digital connection. I have the Sony RM1000BP connected up to one camera that is 75' away so don't think that Lanc can not travel far.

Since you have some money to play with you would probably be better served with Sony PMW-EX3 and RMB-150A remote. It all depends on what end product you are going for or if you need more forgiveness with poor lighting.

crt
Old Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
New Church Media Member

The EX3 looks pretty sweet...what about something like the HM790 from JVC, is it cut out for this kind of work? Since Mike did our lighting I'd say we're good there!
Old Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Church Media Mentor

Hahaha... Thanks man. Are you looking for something more like a pro line or were you looking at something more like a broadcast setup?

That JVC looks interesting.
Old Saturday, July 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
New Church Media Member

Going with the JVC/Sony style cameras gets me into HD at a decent price point, plus I could use them for multi-cam video shoots if needed. I think they both have remote control units that will give me the gain/iris control I want too.
Old Saturday, July 23rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
ubergeekimus maximus

If you were going to be doing very brightly lit action then i would say the JVC would be a perfect fit. Since i know you are doing worship services i would say the Sony EX3 will be a better fit. You will not only be able to film things in lower light but you will also have more latitude with the EX3 camera. Not to mention the the extra resolution.

There are a few other cameras out on the market that have piqued my interest but noting as of yet has been well suited for worship service setups.

crt

Edit: I say all of this assuming that you know you will need different glass then what comes on the cameras. The 13X lenses would get you close to the subject on stage but not close enough for intimate detail. You can probably get away with 18X but i would spur you to step up to a 20X or 18X with a doubler.
Old Saturday, July 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Church Media Mentor

Well, you have the remote iris/gain/etc control from the broadcast cameras I recommended as well.

Plus keep in mind that from the viewing distance of your closest congregant, no one will be able to tell the difference between HD and SD-widescreen.

Also keep in mind that broadcast level units will handle the lower lighting conditions better than pro level cameras as well as offering quality and features that pro level cameras can not.

Also the broadcast cameras I mentioned can be removed from their tripods and used as shoulder cam or steady cam units as well.

Keep in mind also you need a lot of accessories, lenses, viewfinders, displays, etc with these new units that you might be able to get as a package with used broadcast cameras.

If you are set on going new and using pro level cameras (I had assumed broadcast) then my favorite is probably the EX3. That is nice a nice camera, but I am not sure how it fits in your budget, especially with the necessary accessory package.

Ugh, my reading ability is failing me this morning! The JVC is an interesting choice. But I would stick with the Sony for the reasons that Chris mentioned.

Just a few notes.
Old Sunday, July 24th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hesitation=Devistation

Sony PMW EX3 with a good tripod and mattebox will cost around 15000 The Jvc gy hm700 lineup is good I have them. You should look at the demo of both on youtube. One advantage the EX3 has over the 700 is the 1/2 over the 1/3 of the jvc which means it is better in low light. However, if you are recording sound through the camera which I would suggest you don't; you may want the Jvc. it uses ccd rather than cmos. the ccds are quieter but use more energy. weigh the differences. either way, both are good for their price range.

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video and Film Cameras