The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video and Film Cameras
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Monday, June 20th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Bethel Sarnia

GY-HM700 with Studio Monitor

I'm looking at the JVC GY-HM700U with the HD-SDI Studio Monitor (VF-HP790). The thing is, the monitor is SDI only, and the 700U only has one SDI out. My switcher input for it is also SDI. Do I have to run a return all the way back from my switcher then, or is there some way I can get it connected locally to the camera, but still allow me to run the camera via SDI to my switcher. I've seen splitters and stuff (ie. BlackMagic Mini-Converters), but I'm unsure if it's the best option.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Monday, June 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM
iOS Team Leader

The VF-HP790 is a return video monitor, which is intended to be run exactly the way you describe.

IMO, if you're looking for a large Electronic View Finder (EVF), I would suggest a SmallHD DP1x, using the component HD out of the HM700U, freeing your SDI for the run to your switcher. It would be less than 1/3rd of the price of the VF-JP790, but give you a full 720p HD display (the VF-JP790 display is only 1024 x 768 ).

It's what we use on our three JVC HD cameras and our ops absolutely LOVE them!
Old Monday, June 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Bethel Sarnia

Hmm, the DP1x looks good. Their sites says it's discontinued though, so would I have to get one used without a warranty?

Also, what do you use to mount it? The DP1x has thread points, and so does the 700U (I would assume both standard size), but is there a good little mounting head I should look at. I don't see any need for a long articulating arm, maybe just something small with tilt adjustment?
Old Monday, June 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
iOS Team Leader

Wow! Discontinued? That's a big, huge, hairy bummer. Look for used. Seriously. Set up an alert on eBay and scour the classified listings on dvinfo.net and Creative Cow. I'm serious. It's that good.

(Now that I think about it, DON'T do that. I may want to snatch one up for a spare. )

It has standard 4/20 threads on (I believe) all four sides so you can mount it to just about anything. We have ours mounted on rather long goosenecks so our more "vertically challenged" ops can just pull it down to eye level.
Old Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Bethel Sarnia

Well, we'd be looking to purchase 3 of them when we purchase the rest of our package, so unfortunately, I don't think DP1x's will work for us. Do you have any other suggestions? The other reason I liked the JVC monitor is that it had camera menu control, but I'm assuming JVC has that locked down to just their products?

I also came across a Manhattan LCD monitor, which seems to have some nice features and is pretty affordable. (http://bit.ly/j4d5ZP) I've never heard of them, any thoughts?
Old Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
iOS Team Leader

LOL!! The Manhattan LCD HD089C was the monitor I originally spec'ed. Our worship leader came across the SmallHD the day I was preparing my order.

So yeah, the ManhattanLCD would be my next pick. Camera menu control is a non-issue. Once you get your camera configured the way you like it, you really don't mess with the menus that much. Besides, you still have full access to the fly-out LCD on the camera if you need to tweak anything.

I use both monitors when I'm shooting. I keep my eyes glued to my SmallHD to maintain framing and to keep focus sharp. I glance down at the fly-out LCD occasionally just to see what time it is, check my iris, or to make sure I'm recording (we record on-camera for a fail-safe backup.)

If I think about it, I'll snap a picture of one of our rigs tonight and post it here so you can see how we have our cameras, arms and monitors set up.
Old Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM
Bethel Sarnia

Haha, glad to know I'm looking at the right stuff. I'd love to see your setup too.
Old Tuesday, August 16th, 2011, 07:15 AM
iOS Team Leader

Woohoo!! SmallHD DP1x for sale! Snatch it up quickly!!

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video and Film Cameras