The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video and Film Cameras
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, November 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM
New Church Media Member

Projector Best Camcorder for the job?

Grace and Peace
Our church is looking for a new camcorder to record our church sermons and events to put on DVD for purchase and TV. I have looked at several camcorders at B&H and narrowed my search to Sony HDR AX2000/Sony HDR FX1000/Sony HVR HD1000U Digital_High_Definition/ Sony HXR NX5U/Sony_HVR_Z7U/Sony_PMW_EX1R_PMW_EX1R_XDCAM_EX If anyone could help us make a decision on the best camcorder for the job?
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, December 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
AVL System Designer

Well out of that list I would recommend the HXR NX5U. Cory from the forum told me about that unit. It's a great value. Out of the cameras you are looking at I would say that is the best bang for the buck. HOWEVER Sony is putting out a HD2000U in the near future, so you may want to wait a little longer and see what the verdict is on that.
Also if you are open to looking at Panasonic, check out the HMC80. It would save you some money and I think it would be more than sufficient for your plans. However the HD2000U from Sony will be a direct competitor to this camera so I would still recommend to wait.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, December 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
seeing~hearing~believing

I think these first two look good for your purposes, unless you have need for the larger sensor of the EX1r @ $2000+ extra cost:

• HDR-AX2000 & • HXR-NX5U - both are full 1920x1080 HD, affordable memory sticks, 20x zoom, XLR audio ... do you need the few extra features of the NX5u @ additional $500?
• PMW-EX1r - probably overkill for your need. Larger sensor... but only 14x zoom. Media cards are pricey, you'll need to purchase more to record a complete service. I've found the 14x zoom on my EX3 doesn't get in as tight as I would like for shooting from the sound booth at back of wide auditorium (sorry don't have that distance - seats 600).

I would avoid these models:
• HDR FX1000 & HVR-HD1000u - lack XLR inputs, only HDV resolution (1440x1080 vs. 1920x1080 for HD), only 10x zoom. Plus extra nix to the HD1000u with only one sensor chip vs. three of the others, and it's only a 37mm diameter lens vs. 72mm of the other models.
• HVR-Z7u - requires tape, only HDV. Rather than go this route, I would pay the extra for an EX1r with larger sensor, solid state & full HD

By the way, I would not recommend using miniDV tape. I experienced excessive digital glitching with HDV to tape. Even with higher-quality, hard-to-find miniHDV tape, the recording wasn't reliable (Sony camera with Sony tape). Plan to use a new tape for each recording. Also, remember to budget for the tripod and remote zoom control if needed.

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > Video and Film Cameras