The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > The Idea Factory > Thematic Ideas and Metaphors
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thematic Ideas and Metaphors Have a theme for a service or sermon series? Come on in!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, April 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Church Media Regular

Question How can children serve?

Our senior pastor asked me this morning for some ideas (esp. videos) that show children serving in the community. We're talking ideas for the children's sermon that will roll into the main sermon. These can be entertainment videos/media (we'll ask for clearance if it's not covered under CVLI) or pix or anything that shows the concept.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Not having children, I'm a bit at a loss for ideas.

This is a renewed focus for the church in not just collecting "stuff" to be distributed, but to be in the community, serving, doing His work.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, April 6th, 2005, 11:56 AM
ItsaGodGig Music

Well, in church, I have had children serving as ushers, assisting with communion.

Certainly in the broader community, kids going out doing yard work (raking a neighbors leaves, etc). Kids in some neighborhoods walk dogs in the neighborhood.

But those are a couple of ideas.
Keep Pressin' On (Phil. 3:13-14)

Steve Goad

ItsaGodGig Music, Humble, TX
www.itsagodgig.org
Old Wednesday, April 6th, 2005, 12:06 PM
law by day-video by night

Frank-

A couple of quick examples from my church.One is a ministry called Threefoldcord
that serves the widows and others at area nursing homes. The other is children serving with adults at meals for area homeless shelters.

Last edited by David Reddel; Wednesday, April 6th, 2005 at 02:29 PM. Reason: wrong link URL
Old Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Talking children serving

at my church, our children's ministry has the little ones go out some Saturdays during the spring/summer and pick up trash at a local park. Follow them around with a video camera knowing whatever they do will be cute, adorable, and evoke laughter, sighs, and general happiness throughout the congregation... especially if some little toddler ends up getting chased by a duck or something
Old Thursday, April 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Will design for lattes

We had a weekend mission on the Yakima Indian reservation, where we put in a playground for the town of White Swan, WA. We also did landscaping work, put in a garden, painted... We had children working from 2 1/2 to 3 years old to 70. The youngest children helped in the landscaping, grounds cleanup, and the garden. Honestly, the 3 year olds weren't a lot of help in the garden, but they still felt (correctly) that they were serving.

I wouldn't hand a 3 year old a paint brush, though!

Bill
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Livin way past the stix

I have 4 children one 9yr old, two 7 yr olds and a 9month old. The older three serve with us in what ever we do. If we are setting up the sanctuary for the next service they serve side by side, moving chairs, dispersing tithe envelopes, picking up trash, etc or when I am doing things with the media I often let them do the mic checks or let me know if a monitor is working or not. These kind of things have caused our kids to really get envolved and they are disapointed when we are not at church all day Sunday. I don't know how this will help you with your question but too often we stick kids in a group, teens in a group senior citizens in a group, you get the idea and we never come together and work as a single body.

I guess my suggestion would be maybe several age groups working toghether? Children often do not have the desernment (sp?) to do things completely on their own but add an interested adult and WOW.
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Church Media Regular

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. To some degree, children DO get "brushed aside" when it comes to serving. Our church is focusing on active serving--for everyone--and your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

Serving side-by-side with parents is an excellent way to introduce them to the concept!
Old Sunday, April 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Will design for lattes

I concur that the best way to get children involved in serving is working together in disparate age groups, ideally with a parent.

Back when we built the playground we had a wide variety of participants on the 'big toy' playset. We had several engineers, retired and otherwise. Thanks to them, you could sight through a hole in one post across a span of 30 feet (it was a BIG playset) through 3 more holes and see that they lined up to within a fraction of an inch. But even with so many engineers, they allowed and even supported help from kids. I've got to dig out the picture where my daughter is using a mallet to drive in a connector on the set. It was a great moment!

Bill

The Church Media Community > The Idea Factory > Thematic Ideas and Metaphors