The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Computers > Technical Miscellaneous
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Technical Miscellaneous Can't find a place for your technical question or tip? Post it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Church Media Member

Question Beginning two worship services soon - help?

In just a few weeks, we will begin two services. Today, the Worship Advisory Counsel met to discuss plans for accommodating both services and ensuring a smooth transition into the new schedule. We are moving to two services to accommodate our growing church and both services will reflect the same contemporary style worship that we have in our current service. A member of the counsel believes that we should have two worship teams and two media teams to provide content and support for the services, this means two different sets of songs and graphics. I feel that is a huge misuse of resources and that we should have one worship team and one media team that prepare materials, songs, and media that are repeated and/or used for both services. After all, I know the pastor is going to give the same sermon in both services so why should the media and songs be different? Please let me know your thoughts or what you are doing in your worship services.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM
...A vergence, you say?

Preparing the service, no. If the services are for the same crowd, but you just can't fit them all in at once, it's not very smart to get 2 teams - it doubles the workload. It doesn't make sense to create 2 sets of graphics and two song sets if the services are to be executed the same way.

Executing the service, an astounding YES - rotating teams for both media and music. It gives people time to unplug and be without responsibility - to be on the receiving end every once in a while, instead of always on the giving end.

Our church has 2 services - they are served by 3 singing teams and 2 tech teams, but the graphics are the same for both. The music changes, because the styles are different. Other than that, they stay the same with different people executing them.
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
will design for bandwidth
Become a CMN Professional Member!

We have the same team do both services (identical). Second service usually goes better than the first.

We do have 2 worship teams and 4 tech teams that swap every week and 2 screen content creators that swap monthly.

Have the same team do the same stuff twice just makes sense. Quite often our second service is much better than the first, because of the quick run through that they call pratice.

But the sound and video guys are more on cue and quite often, I've gone up to the computer to tweak the slide show between services.

Our experience is, keep the same teams for both services.

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
the Dr. is in

We currently have 5 identical services, 2 Saturday night and 3 Sunday morning. If you are scheduled to be on the worship team or the tech/media team you are on for all services plus rehearsals. So part of our weekend crew (computer, lighting director and sound) shows up for vocal rehearsal Wed after church, then the entire crew Saturday an hour and a half before church services start for service run through and then for all services on the weekend.

It's a big commitment to be on one of the teams. We try to rotate our crew 1 week on 2 off, which seems to keep people fresh enough on the position, yet not too much to burn them out.
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Media Mogul

I'm reading this thread

with great interest-we're going to be doing two services every sunday as well. I believe the songs et al are the same for each service.

We're going to be doing rotating teams-one morning shift, one 11 am shift. We went this way because at our church the focus is really on the families, and we felt that it was important for the families to be able to sit together during the service they're not working. We're hoping it helps eliminate some of the burnout that comes when you cannot spend time participating in the worship or following the message with everyone else.

The other part of it is that its difficult to focus for 4 hours straight on anything. Even the worship team gets to sit down for a while, then the Pastor sits down and they repeat. But the Sound and AV teams would otherwise be there for the entire period. If we had paid staff, I might think differently, but with an all volunteer army of av presenters, I'd rather keep them fresh.

One curveball for us is that we are also going to start doing IMAG at the same time. So we are really drawing on the people we've trained over the past year. We need to get those that are trained in the presentation stuff involved more, so that those of us involved in the imag portion can focus more on creating excellence in that ministry as well.
And yes, we want to rotate two teams there as well, though I suspect at the beginning, the initial control room guys will be straight through. Initially, anyway-plus, the plan now is just to have the sermons up there-though I personally think they'll quickly ask us to add the praise dancers, along with occasional shots of the worship team.

Of course, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed.
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
CMN MediaWallah

If the two services are the same... don't create two sets of media.
Create one set of media.
However, I'd recommend having more than one team, and rotating weeks.
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Media Wizard

We were doing two services and went back to one for the summer (although that service is now almost full again, even with people on vacation). We had the same people each service and it is a big committment. Even if we went to two worship teams the songs would be the same and the sermon would be the same so it wouldn't mean any additional work for me.
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Worship Leader/Sound Guy

I don't think it would be wise to do the songs and media different, especially if the sermon is the same. Our services are identical, and it works very well. It would be hectic, almost not possible if we did them different. Besides the bigger workload, and requiring more team members and planning, just think about the general attenders. Let's say some of your relatives go to first service, and they were talking about a certain part of the service that they enjoyed, but you have no idea what they're talking about because you were in second. It kind of takes the sense of "community" in the church away, if half the church is experiencing something different than the other half...

Quote:
osborn4-
Have the same team do the same stuff twice just makes sense. Quite often our second service is much better than the first, because of the quick run through that they call pratice.

But the sound and video guys are more on cue and quite often, I've gone up to the computer to tweak the slide show between services.
And what he said

Just my 2 cents (if it's worth that much, then again maybe I should charge 5 cents... nevermind)
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
The Great Indoorsman

I would also like to recommend that you do not have 2 worship teams. I know a lot of churches do, but in the end we have found that it just causes division. We mix up the team members every single week and schedule it out by the quarter so they have plenty of warning. Our team is big enough for 3 or 4 teams, but no team will ever be the same. Only our worship leader stays the same. We have different intrumentalists and singers each week.

For us, this was the only way to keep unity amongst the worship team and with the congregation. We no longer have the whole, this team is better then that team going on with the band members or the church. Everyone has to get along or just not play...
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 08:10 PM
KJ5GG

There has started to be some discussion here about going to two services. However I'm not sure the reasoning behind it is all that sound. We have two musical styles battling it out, traditional (hymns) vs contemporary mix of rearranged hymns and choruses. Some are wanting two services, one for each style of music. I can see going to two services because of attendance but is anyone else doing it JUST to satisfy different tastes in music?
Old Thursday, July 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Church Media Regular

If you are doing the same music, I agree with the above replies that two teams each week will dramatically increase the workload, roate week to week or every month etc, but having changes in the team will not only impact the teams, but lead to multiple practices, sounds system / stage changes for each team and much more...

Maybe start with one team each week for awhile and see how it goes. Moving from one to two services will impact much more than just the Worship team and I would recommend that you keep the same whatever you can for a period of time to grow into the new schedule.

Please keep us updated and how this goes...

Blessings,
Troy
Old Friday, July 28th, 2006, 04:33 AM
New Church Media Member

Already doing it in Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
There has started to be some discussion here about going to two services. However I'm not sure the reasoning behind it is all that sound. We have two musical styles battling it out, traditional (hymns) vs contemporary mix of rearranged hymns and choruses. Some are wanting two services, one for each style of music. I can see going to two services because of attendance but is anyone else doing it JUST to satisfy different tastes in music?
We went to 2 services almost a year ago because we were at 85-90% capacity. We went with a traditional and a contemporary and the contemporary has greown a little since the beginning. Some people were against it because they thought we would grow apart, but I haven't seen any of that. I think it helps because you can worship the way you want and since I came from a much larger church with a killer praise band ( Crosstimbers in Argyle) it was hard to go back to hymns and such. I personally think that you will reach people that are like me and like the more upbeat style. Since you are only about an hour from me, I'm sure you are in the same boat we were, if you want anything more than a traditional worship experience then you probaly have to drive to Paris. We are atractting the people that are moving from Dallas to the country because that is what most of them are used to.

To get back to your real question, depending on your capacity, ( if you are approaching 80%) you probably won't grow unless you expand to a second service. Alot of people here didn't want to grow (they were comfortable), but we just spent 1 million dollars to expand our church and thought this was the best way to fill it up. We were running about 230 - 250 on a Sunday and now we average 280-300. It may not seem like a lot but in a county with about 4000 people and 13 Baptist churches it is pretty good. We had VBS this week and had about 160 kids. That is why I'm typing this at 4 in the morning because I am puttin together a video for the Family night tommorrow ( I mean tonight!!!!!).

The Church Media Community > Computers > Technical Miscellaneous