The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Presentation Software > PowerPoint
Forgot Password?
                          Register

PowerPoint Questions, tips and technical info how to use PowerPoint in ministry.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Friday, May 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM
New Church Media Member
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Communion images?

I am completely baffled at how few communion images are out there and how many of them represent the bread with a large puffy loaf of yeast bread. I am not that knowledgable on how communion is done in many other denominations but I thought most (or all) churches taking part in the Christian communion do so with the unleavened bread Jesus used at passover. Am I wrong on this? I realize this bread looks different from thin white wafers to the Jewish Matzah crackers.

Why is it so hard to find accurate communion images then? I've been frustrated about this in the past but since this week's sermon is on the Lord's Supper I am even more frustrated.

Anyone know of some good and cheap (if not free) images that can be had of the cup and the bread? Or even some PowerPoint backgrounds I could use.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Friday, May 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM
Multimedia Artist

I know what you mean. That's probably because unleavened bread is "unphotogenic". I've been various churches for communion. Some use wafers, or small communion crackers. The church I currently attend uses yeast bread. A pervious church switch between leaven and unleaven bread depending on the season. I personally kind of threw in the towel and basically use this as a background from sxc: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/941677.
Old Saturday, May 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
will design for bandwidth

I've had the same frustrations. Midnight Oil finally came out with these

Maundy Thursday
The LORD's Supper

And with their still sets, you get the stills plus the PSD file, so you can change it up in photoshop all you want.

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Old Saturday, May 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM
New Church Media Member

Love that image, Keck. That is the type of image I usually really like and use in various ways. Just wish it had the unleavened bread. I honestly didn't know that any church used the yeast bread for communion - learn something new everyday.

Thanks Osborn, I'll see about possibly getting those. Not real happy with them though. I like the images that look more real.

Love, love, love the communion images on here by revbilly. I think that's who did the grapes, bread, cup and crown of thorns images. It's beautiful and I over-use it I think. Still it has the yeast bread. Maybe if he sees this thread he'll be moved to produce some more communion images. (Please?)

I am thinking of purchasing a crown of thorns and having one our talented photographers create some communion images with our own plates and cups. If I do, I will upload them here for everyone to use.
Old Tuesday, June 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Church Media Regular

I know this is too late for the original purpose, but why not create your own? Take pictures of your communion elements on your communion table. I do more and more of this all the time, as it keeps it real!
Old Tuesday, June 1st, 2010, 09:23 PM
Multimedia Artist

Just FYI... I was at the grocery store and came across a new flat bread product (at least I hadn't seen it before). I picked it up with the intent to photograph it as a communion image. If it turns out half way decent, I will post it here.
Old Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Church Media Regular

As to the appropriateness of leavened bread, there is a school of thought that says that the symbols of Passover took on new meaning when Jesus gave the Last Supper. The bitter herb, the salt water, even the bread and wine's initial symbolism, all of that went away, replaced by the bread and wine's significance as the Body and Blood. As a result, the reason it was unleavened (to represent their haste of flight from Egypt) no longer matters; it is the Body of Christ. Other people think of it in even simpler terms; risen bread for the risen Christ.

On a more practical note, options for unleavened bread are limited. Host wafers get expensive and you can't have a member of the congregation bake them. Tortillas, pitas and other "mass-market" flatbreads are cheap and readily available (and probably closest to what was actually used), but can be very off-putting. Matzoh in the Jewish style usually works, but most store-bought stuff looks like saltine crackers and so can be similarly off-putting. Contrasting all that, anybody with an oven, a Betty Crocker cookbook, and some practice can make a suitable loaf of bread or three, and many church altar guilds make it an in-house ministry to prepare the bread for Sunday service.
Old Thursday, June 24th, 2010, 03:49 PM
New Church Media Member

Powerpoint images

Here are some free powerpoint images that I use all the time. These are a life saver. worshipmediadesigns.com
Old Tuesday, August 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
New Church Media Member

Did you try a google image search with "Communion unleavened" as your keywords? I found several there.
Old Tuesday, August 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
New Church Media Member

Some chuches use oyster soup crackers. Small and not off-putting in terms of appearance, size, or expense.

The Church Media Community > Presentation Software > PowerPoint