The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Presentation Software > PowerPoint
Forgot Password?
                          Register

PowerPoint Questions, tips and technical info how to use PowerPoint in ministry.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Sound and Video Tech

Slideshow runs on wrong display

I'm trying to get my announcements slideshow to run in PowerPoint 2002. The problem is it always shows on the wrong monitor. I have tried both monitors under 'Set Up Show', and it still displays on the monitor rather than the projectors. In addition, when I try and run it using the presenter view, the two displays are swapped. Again, I have tried both monitors to no avail. It works fine when running it from within SundayPlus. Also, the first time I tried it it worked correctly. The problem started after making a minor content change to a couple slides. Any thoughts?

*I'm at church right now but I have to go run sound in another building at 5:30 or so, and I won't be back until Wednesday afternoon, so I won't be able to try any suggestions but I will reply to them from home. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Media Mogul

I'd check to see which display is selected to be the show display. For some reason, MS keeps moving that setting around menu wise, but in ppt 2003, you click on slide show, set up show, then under multiple monitors, use the drop down to chose the correct display for the presentation to appear on. Right next to that is the check box for presenter view if you need that.
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Sound and Video Tech

i tried multiple times to run it with the presentation being shown on each monitor, all of it to no avail.
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Media Mogul

ah-then I'd double check the primary monitor settings.

right click on the desktop,

choose properties,

then settings.

You should see a display with two icons, generally blue, with numbers on them. near the bottom, you'll see a button called identify-click that

really large numbers should pop up-make sure that your main desktop is what you think it is. If not, then click on the one you want to be your main, or application, desktop, and check the box that say use this device as the primary monitor.

If it already is, then click on the #2 display, and make sure the box labeled extend my windows desktop onto this monitor is checked.

Now, if this is on a laptop, you may also need to change some bios settings. These can usually be controlled by a hotkey combination, usually a function key (one located between the ctl and alt keys, in conjunction with one of the f-keys. this may or may not apply to your situation, but it might help someone else later on.
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Sound and Video Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob View Post
ah-then I'd double check the primary monitor settings.

right click on the desktop,

choose properties,

then settings.

You should see a display with two icons, generally blue, with numbers on them. near the bottom, you'll see a button called identify-click that

really large numbers should pop up-make sure that your main desktop is what you think it is. If not, then click on the one you want to be your main, or application, desktop, and check the box that say use this device as the primary monitor.

If it already is, then click on the #2 display, and make sure the box labeled extend my windows desktop onto this monitor is checked.
Already checked all of that.

Quote:
Now, if this is on a laptop, you may also need to change some bios settings. These can usually be controlled by a hotkey combination, usually a function key (one located between the ctl and alt keys, in conjunction with one of the f-keys. this may or may not apply to your situation, but it might help someone else later on.
This is a desktop, so that doesn't really apply.
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Media Mogul

OK-then we need a real guru, or at least someone with fresh ideas...

Wow, that would have fixed over 99 percent of the issues...sounds more like a driver issue or something...though that wouldn't explain why it works in your worship software...

Is anything else running when you try to run the ppt slideshows?
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Sound and Video Tech

nope. and what really makes no sense is that it ran correctly - once. and the only thing that i changed afterwards was just content which shouldn't make any difference...
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Knowledge Seeker
Become a CMN Professional Member!

So now PPT runs ALL of its slideshows on the wrong monitor??
Never heard of this one. All the above advice should have gotten you back to normal.
The reason I emphasized ALL slideshows is that one time I had loaded up a specific talk and it was set up different than the regular. I closed PPT and then opened a slideshow I knew had the routine old settings and it played fine, but the show in question still did things its own way. Then I paid attention, noticed that it was a PPT SHOW file!! I ended up opening it with PPT, changing the settings, doing a save as and then it worked.
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Sound and Video Tech

I'll try that, but the fact that it shows the presenter view on the wrong monitor when it's enabled as well makes me think that's not the case. Plus, like I said, the one time it ran correctly wouldn't have happened if that's the case. Am I correct in those assumptions?
Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Tim Eason - ChurchMedia.net Community Founder 1999-2008
Spectator

Have you considered that you have double-vision? It messes with me all the time...

Old Monday, September 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Sound and Video Tech

Sometimes I wonder... possibly dyslexia too?
Old Tuesday, September 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Deaf but not dumb
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Does the video card have its own settings? Either under advanced or possibly an icon in system tray that you can use to get to the settings. Also did you restart the computer?

The Church Media Community > Presentation Software > PowerPoint