Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Microphones
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sunday, August 28th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Church Media Mentor

Microphone for a small vocal group

I'm looking for mic options for a small vocal group. I'm talking like 6 or 8, maybe 10 people singing on one side of the platform (choir loft is covered ok with hanging mics). I have someone willing to put out some $$ to get us something but I'm looking for suggestions.

Face it, we are "microphone poor" and have been for a while. We just put a new system in the new building. I barely got the big stuff covered, so there wasn't a lot for mics.

We have mostly been using AT-37R's and SM86's for a while. The 37R's are noisy and not exactly the best sounding thing I've ever heard. The 86's do ok for one or two people. More than that and the bass effect drops the low end some and you end up with too many people off mic.

Two 86's in an x-y arrangement might work, but I'd need to pick up at least one more (only have two and need one on the other side of the stage most of the time). Before I just go buy another of those I want to look at options.

So... what would you get?
Old Sunday, August 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Ne'er-do-well

What budget range are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, August 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Church Media Mentor

I'm thinking the donor was thinking in the $300 to $400 range. Sort of guessing though.
Old Sunday, August 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Ne'er-do-well

$350-$400 gets you a couple more SM86's ($170-$180 at ZZounds, Musician's Friend, etc.), which are fine vocal mics. And if you're going to be using them with your other mics, I always like to use the same kind of mic for the same purpose, unless you're looking for a specific effect or color with a specific vocalist. If you've got 2, plus 2 new ones, that's 4 mics to divide among 6-10 people, assuming you've got enough channels available.
Old Sunday, August 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
servant

I like the AKG C1000S. It is a versatile condenser mic that I have used on a group of vocalists, single vocalists and instruments. They are my "swiss army knife" mics. A pair spaced evenly should do it.

Mike B
Old Monday, August 29th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Using Media for His Glory

The mic I use for "swiss army" purposes (as Mike put it) is the Audix ADX-51 condenser. We bought them specifically for our choir due to the AMAZING amount of GBF that they have. We also use them occaisionally on small group vocals with no more than three singers to a mic. We have also used them on acoustic guitar - they sound great on guitar, other various acoustic instruments, and used to use them on our piano until we got some large diaphragm condensers for it.

Those mics are usually found around $230 each but you might be able to find a retailer selling them for around the $200 mark. That would allow you to purchase two of them which should cover your small group well depending on how the people and mics are arranged.

If you have 6 people, I'd place 3 on each mic in a semicircle around it. If you have as many as 10, I'd do two rows of five (ladies on one side and men on the other) and use one mic on each side.

Jeff
Old Monday, August 29th, 2005, 05:45 PM
New Church Media Member

It's tough to get more bang for the buck than Superlux mics. A pair of these in an X-Y configuration would sound amazing. They are also great for instruments, can handle a kick drum and can be used for solo vocal with a wind screen.

http://www.superlux.us/images/Pro-238_data_sheet.jpg

Basically a large diaphragm recording mic in a more traditional mic housing.
Old Thursday, September 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
gchapman1965
Spectator

I have used and really like the AT-3035. Sells somewhere around $175 or so. Excellent mic without breaking the bank.

Greg
Old Thursday, September 8th, 2005, 08:22 PM
jimgill
Spectator

Rode

The Lee Singers, a 12 voice a capella group form Lee University uses a RODE NT 4 stereo mike. It does a great job of miking the whole group and I also use it for recordings of large groups. It can be phantom powered or battery and is in the the under $500 range.
Old Friday, September 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Church Media Mentor

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still sorting through it all and trying to decide..
Old Wednesday, September 14th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Tony Mah
Spectator

Kervin,

My picks are
1. Earthworks directional condenser
2. AT 30 series directional
3. Rodes NT series
Do not get the Superlux, while it sound great, it will not pass to the drop test. The 1 inch mic element is very heavy and if dropped the plastic cone supporting it will crack.

Tony
Old Sunday, October 2nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Mr. Sound Dude

The SM86 is fine, we have a few, but, we ran into the same problem as you, we needed more mics. We were directed to Sennheiser. We have 3 E845s, and they sound incredible, and they are something like $99-$150, depending on where you shop. You can get them in packs of 3 for something like $250, if you hit the right store. I'd reccomend them. I'f you'd like more info, please ask!

The Church Media Community > Audio > Microphones