Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Microphones
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 06:47 PM
New Church Media Member

Cordless mics

While visiting a friends church, I noticed that they were using a cordless handheld microphone that had a antenna thingy simular to that which is on the senn freeport.
It had a capsule like that which is on a sure brand. Does the antenna add range? What brands feature this option besides sennheiser?
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, January 14th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

They were probably the Shure UHF series (http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...o_UHF_content).
Having the antenna 'thingy' external to the case doesn't necessarily add range.
C.
Old Tuesday, January 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Using Media for His Glory

One thing that the "external" antenna does is keeps people from holding the mic in a fashion that covers the antenna. With an all internal antenna, inevitably, someone will hold the mic so as to cover the antenna thereby reducing the effective range.

The Shure UHF series ($2,000-$3,000) and the Sennheiser freeport ($200-$400) are the two most widely used systems with an antenna like that. There are many different handheld transmitter designs and having the antenna on the exterior doesn't always mean the signal strength (range) will be better.
Old Tuesday, January 16th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Will Work For Food

Quote:
One thing that the "external" antenna does is keeps people from holding the mic in a fashion that covers the antenna. With an all internal antenna, inevitably, someone will hold the mic so as to cover the antenna thereby reducing the effective range.
Is it true that covering the antenna is more a problem with men (larger hands most womens hands are not big enough to make any diffrence) and really only a problem if you have a problem with external radio interfernce. Normaly if you keep fresh batries and have a decent qualtiy gear (why some cheaper sets have them) and dont have to have the reciver in the end part of the range that it wont make any diffrence.

Most times ive seen the antenna is at sporting events and can only think of male vocalists that use them in concerts.

and were exactly is the attena in a cordless mic?
Old Wednesday, January 17th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Church Media Mentor

Generally, the antenna in a cordless handheld microphone is near the bottom 1/2 of the shaft, and sometimes the entire length of the shaft. Sometimes too much hand jewelry can be an issue also.
C.
Old Wednesday, January 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Church Media Regular

On the mic's with the "external" antenna where is the battery located? Is it in the same location as the mic's with a "internal" antenna?
Old Wednesday, January 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Board of Directors

We have Shure U4 systems that have external antennea. On those systems if the antennae is cupped or coverd it will either drop the RF signal to almost unusable or mask it completely. On our Sennheiser 5000 sticks and 3230 receivers, the antennae is internal and we never have RF issues.

Drew
Old Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Church Media Regular

We have one Sennheiser wireless handheld (don't know which model) which exhibits occassional RF issues. (We actually have 4 of these mics, but only one has this issue). I have noticed that the issue is more prevalent when people hold the mic near the bottom vs. when people hold it near the capsule. This mic is used almost exclusively by women so I don't know about the men vs. women thing.
Old Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Church Media Mentor

The amount of jewelry on their hands?
C.
Old Monday, January 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Dir. of Tech. Ministries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ryan View Post
We have Shure U4 systems that have external antennea. On those systems if the antennae is cupped or coverd it will either drop the RF signal to almost unusable or mask it completely. On our Sennheiser 5000 sticks and 3230 receivers, the antennae is internal and we never have RF issues.
Yep we have the same system and if someone covers the bottom then we will have no signal. I haven't tried the new UHF-R system but it also looks like it has the transmitter on the bottom.

Donald
Old Thursday, February 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Sits in Dimly Lit Rooms

That was one of my questions of the Shure rep at last year's NAB. Most of our people have learned not to do it, but we've had guest speakers hold the mic from the bottom so that the antenna is covered and the RF has completely dropped out.

The rep demonstrated for me that the newer models (with the "round" antenna instead of the "stick") do not do this.
Old Thursday, February 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Dir. of Tech. Ministries

Quote:
Originally Posted by clesher View Post
That was one of my questions of the Shure rep at last year's NAB. Most of our people have learned not to do it, but we've had guest speakers hold the mic from the bottom so that the antenna is covered and the RF has completely dropped out.

The rep demonstrated for me that the newer models (with the "round" antenna instead of the "stick") do not do this.
That is good to know because we are going to get a few of the UHF-R models to add to our system. I'll just use the newer handhelds on the "guest" people.

Donald

The Church Media Community > Audio > Microphones