Go Back   The Church Media Community > Presentation Software > MediaShout
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
DebC

Media Shout Tips & Tricks

Convention Spin-off:

Care to share your favorite Media Shout Tricks & Tips here?

If they're a somewhat advanced or involved one, be sure to note it.

deb
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Ne'er-do-well

tip #1: Learn how to use MediaShout's templates. It will make your life a lot easier for adding songs, scripture, etc. But it also allows quickly putting scripture or whatever up on screen in a seamless manner if you've got templates set up ahead of time.
Old Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 06:07 PM
DebC

[Tip Difficulty: Not difficult, just has to be arranged ahead of time.]

I feel timing for a screen change during a song is just critical, and train our team to change the screen BEFORE people are singing the next part.

As a result of this close timing, we use CUT for a transition on lyrics because, well, we don't want any sort of lag at all between the time the operator presses the space bar and what is showing on the screen.

But changing to a BLANK screen for either an instrumental break, or between songs, or ... whatever visual transition you want to make, sometimes looks pretty ABRUPT on the screen with a CUT. But we do like to clear the screen of lyrics we've already sung so the congregation has a visual clue of what they're supposed to be doing right that moment. We insert [blank] parts of the lyrics at the beginning, the end, and during any instrumental breaks longer than about 4 bars.

So I keep a copy of the worship background for that day in my BOXER as a graphic. The graphic cue is set for the same dissolve transition timing that we use for all text and graphic cues during service.

At the point where we want a gentle fade of the lyrics on the screen, we simply click the graphic background cue in Boxer instead of the [blank] cue in the song. Then we wait for the transition to be over, and as soon as it is, we click BACK into where we have the [blank] cue in the song, ready to go on to the next part.

To anyone watching the screens, it looks like a gentle dissolve. They've no idea that we not only changed out of the script, but to a completely different kind of cue, because the background image is the same as the graphic image in Boxer.

Voila!

deb
Old Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
DebC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
tip #1: Learn how to use MediaShout's templates.
Amen to that!

I can not underscore the power of templates enough! It is the thing I love most about Media Shout 3.x.

deb
Old Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM
"Your mom goes to college!"
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Keep your software up to date

Help> Check for Updates

Follow me on Twitter
Old Wednesday, July 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Multimedia Historian

My skills are 4

1. change the screen before singing the next verse, as people need to read them before they sing, allow 1-2 beats of time.

2. Think quick, as people like to change something ad lib. So think quick, press quick.

3. Avoid distraction(MOST IMPORTANT!!!)

4. Bring in more graphics and movies from all around the world (global), from the succession of christian faith (history), care for the society (outgoing) and inward retreat (personal enhancement), and let christ be the center.
Old Thursday, July 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM
The Christmas Tree guy

When choosing a background image I will pick one that is applicable to the theme and tempo of the song. I will take the graphic and blur it in my photo editing software. I will use the blurred image as the background for the lyrics then at the end of the song transition to the original graphic (which is clear). I like using graphics that have a verse or sayings but that could be distracting behind lyrics, blurring the image takes care of that distraction and it adds a little anticipation as to what the graphic is.
Old Thursday, July 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM
DebC

I have a set of default files that get changed with each set of graphics sets. They're the default template and settings for *everything* I've been able to find and define.

Song_BG.jpg, Bible_BG.jpg, Text_BG.jpg, Logo_BG.jpg, Title_BG.jpg, etc.

So when I produce the set of graphics for that service, I also copy out the base ones to these filenames and replace the files.

This way, my Boxer ALWAYS has all the right cues and files from the set that's being used that day.

The LOGO key has a matching logo, the Color Bars key has a basic blank screen that matches.

Each song that we add can just use the default template, and it will instantly come in with today's lyric background image.

More importantly, when we need to throw text up on the screen for something unplanned, or Pastor throws a verse at us that wasn't planned, those cues ALSO match immediately without any further fuss or bother.

I do not remember who suggested this to me over at the Media Shout Forums a couple years ago just as version 3 had come out, but it has been a great tip for work-flow during immediate prep before service and and even bigger boon during service.

These files hang out in the MyShout folder. The files for the script are usually within another folder inside there, I keep them grouped by month.

I just set it up once ... which was a little work, and then got into the habit of copying the files from the set over to these 'generic' names, too. Which is not anywhere NEAR the amount of work that redoing everything for every change is. I just had to get into the habit of doing it.

deb
Old Sunday, August 5th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Media on Shoestring PRO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysmom View Post
I have a set of default files that get changed with each set of graphics sets. They're the default template and settings for *everything* I've been able to find and define.

Song_BG.jpg, Bible_BG.jpg, Text_BG.jpg, Logo_BG.jpg, Title_BG.jpg, etc.

So when I produce the set of graphics for that service, I also copy out the base ones to these filenames and replace the files.

This way, my Boxer ALWAYS has all the right cues and files from the set that's being used that day.

The LOGO key has a matching logo, the Color Bars key has a basic blank screen that matches.

Each song that we add can just use the default template, and it will instantly come in with today's lyric background image.

More importantly, when we need to throw text up on the screen for something unplanned, or Pastor throws a verse at us that wasn't planned, those cues ALSO match immediately without any further fuss or bother.

I do not remember who suggested this to me over at the Media Shout Forums a couple years ago just as version 3 had come out, but it has been a great tip for work-flow during immediate prep before service and and even bigger boon during service.

These files hang out in the MyShout folder. The files for the script are usually within another folder inside there, I keep them grouped by month.

I just set it up once ... which was a little work, and then got into the habit of copying the files from the set over to these 'generic' names, too. Which is not anywhere NEAR the amount of work that redoing everything for every change is. I just had to get into the habit of doing it.

deb
I love this idea, but if you have Lyrics from their Lyric-maker (Lyra) yo still have to go in and adjust those weekly, but overall it is a great scheme!!

Twitter/Facebook/AIM: NCMACASL
Old Sunday, August 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Media on Shoestring PRO!

My tip (applies to other Worship Software, too): When I have a lyric where 2 screens are identical and next to each other (like a chorus repeats 2 times), it seems confusing to the congregation: are we singing this again or did they forget to click the button??

A solution - on the 2nd page add a blank line to the top. Also, add a space to that line and adjust the font size for that space to 1/2 of 1/4 of the size of the main font.

Example: our normal font size is 48 point. for these 1/4 spaces, I use a blank line with a space set for 12 point. I use the same blanks when I want to space lyrics out on the same page.

Twitter/Facebook/AIM: NCMACASL
Old Monday, August 6th, 2007, 12:40 AM
DebC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmacasl View Post
I love this idea, but if you have Lyrics from their Lyric-maker (Lyra) yo still have to go in and adjust those weekly, but overall it is a great scheme!!
Naw, the database remembers the FILENAME, not the actual image. So, it just pulls in the song_BG file. Which I changed to be the song background for that series already. So, utterly automatically, the songs come in with the correct background file.

You just have to remember to copy over to the generic filenames before you run Media Shout.

deb
Old Monday, September 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Media NOOB

Templates are something that I need to use - I am constantly changing the bible on the fly....

The Church Media Community > Presentation Software > MediaShout