Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Live Audio
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Monday, March 14th, 2011, 03:27 AM
New Church Media Member

Question Yamaha LS9/16 Dynamics:Ducking

Hi Guy's/Gal's,

Just throwing a question out there! I need to know how to use ducking on pastor's Mic so that entire FOH mix drops in volume during worship service on a yamaha ls9.

I vaguely understand it has to monitor an input level (mix or input channel)to respond with required drop in volume.

From memory only had self pre EQ, channel inputs 10 to 16(I think...) but I couldn't see for example Stereo L/R(FOH) so I could drop entire mix.

By the way....Stereo L/R is routed through Matrix 1/2 buss so I can use as a Master volume to FOH.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gimble
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Monday, March 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

If you are doing it for just one Pastor then you setup the ducker on your Mains and set the key to the direct out of the Pastors channel. You will want to make the Direct out post fader though.

If you are doing it for a group of Pastors then route the pastors to a mix and then use the mix as your key source. Again make sure it's post fader.

crt

Last edited by Gracetech; Monday, March 14th, 2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Old Monday, March 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
New Church Media Member

You can't put a gate (expander) on an output channel only a compressor. Even if you could putting it on the mains wouldn't it turn the pastors mic down too?

In order to do what you want to do you will need to use your gate processor on every channel you want to duck. Set the key in to Mix 13, 14, 15, or 16. Send your Pastor mic to that mix you choose. Now it will duck all the channels.

Another thing you can try is to send all your channels you want turned down to a mix, use a compressor set to key in off either Mix 13,14,15, or 16 and send the pastor mic to that channel. You won't be turing the signal down you will be heavily compressing the signal.

Can you please give some more info on why you are trying to do this?
Old Monday, March 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
New Church Media Member

Thank you all for your replies,
The reason is sometimes during the worship service during praise and worship, the Pastor will speak to encourage the congregation.
What I usually do is up the gain on his mic to place him above the worship team.
Being lazy, I was wondering if a ducker would automate this for me, but instead drop the rest of the FOH mix.

Thanks once again for all your Guy's expertise and sharing!

Yours in Christ,

Gimble
Old Monday, March 14th, 2011, 05:16 PM
New Church Media Member

Another question,

On re-thinking this one, will I get some mean pumping effects with FOH mix if I do this?
(especially if the Pastor happens to stutter )ie: Volume jumps up and down erratically between sentences or phrases. I realize I can adjust attack, decay etc... but is it worth it?
I think it may be better to " let my finger's do the walking " in this case.

What do you all think?
Old Monday, March 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Church Media Regular

I'll chime in with "Better done manually" (my opinion)

Get your band grouped real nice in sub mixes and then use your custom layer to get your fader layout easy to move quickly.
Old Monday, March 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM
New Church Media Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpichler View Post
I'll chime in with "Better done manually" (my opinion)

Get your band grouped real nice in sub mixes and then use your custom layer to get your fader layout easy to move quickly.
+1 that way you can pull the band down on one fader. Have his vocal on the fader right next to it so you can boost his volume. Some songs will be better to boost his volume others it will be better to drop the bands volume.
Old Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 12:39 AM
The Crazy Analog Guy

Yes indeed, manually is the way to go. (Even better, get him to not do that, but pastors don't like it when we ask them to not do something they like doing)

I A2'd a show tonight where we set up a ducker on an M7 for one number. The show was a local theatre award show, and the number was a costume parade runway deal with a track and an emcee. We set the emcee's mic to duck the track so he could talk over it, but only on the one number.
Old Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 03:51 AM
New Church Media Member

Ok! Thanks Guy's for your input.

Custom fader level master volumes for Worship team and pastors mic mixes' sounds like the way to go.

Wayne, as far as asking Pastor not to do it; I might leave that up to my wife!

God bless you all for the effort you pour into your ministries because God notices if no one else does.

Gimble
Old Tuesday, March 15th, 2011, 05:48 AM
New Church Media Member

Solution

FYI

Have changed all instruments' and singers' from Stereo mains/buss and inserted into Mix 4 Post fader.
Turned OFF Stereo button(s) for all of these input channel's.

Mix 4 Stereo button ON. Mix 4 routed to MT 1/2 as is used as a master volume to powered speakers FOH.

Mix 4 and Pastors Mic (Ch 14 ) inserted into custom fader level Ch 3 and 4(next to each other) for easy control

This is how I understand the above information....

Thank You,

Gimble

Last edited by Gimble1968; Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: clarify

The Church Media Community > Audio > Live Audio

Tags
duck, ducking, dynamics, ls9, yamaha