The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > vendor communities > THE METAPHORUM > The Job of Media Ministry > How to be a Media Minister or Director
Forgot Password?
                          Register

How to be a Media Minister or Director Here's where you can talk about the job of media ministry and connect with others who are doing the same ministry as you.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Friday, September 22nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
New Church Media Member

How Many Hours Per Week do you spend on Media Ministry?

Hi All,

Just a follow up question to the "Do you get paid" for media ministry.

How many hours per week do you spend on Media Ministry?

When I was involved. It was 20-25 hours per week.

That included meetings, reading e-mails, searching for parts to put graphics together, building the graphics, putting the service together, typing in new songs if needed and running two services. This DID NOT include any video we had to produce and we did not have any motion graphics in the service. This did NOT include any announcement slides either. Each announcement slide took about 1 hour...for me anyway.

Lostone.

Last edited by danroth; Thursday, January 29th, 2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: correct typo in title
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, September 24th, 2006, 08:02 AM
New Church Media Member

Not enough!

I should be spending that much, but often don't get the opportunity. It averages out 10-15 in a good week. But that's working around a full-time job, and still learning how to design my own graphics.

I do a lot of online searching, but I'm starting to learn more.
Old Sunday, September 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
will design for bandwidth
Become a CMN Professional Member!

As a volunteer, it depends on what I'm doing that week.

If I'm doing the song show and the announcement loop, I usually spend 4 hours or so. Sometimes less, depending on how well it comes together and if I already have appropriate graphic, if some need tweaked, or if I have to seek out new graphics.

If I get to work on the sermon (usually not my job), that's usually 6-10 hours.

This week I got to do both. Wow. I'm not sure I'm up to a full time job and that kind of "off hours" work.

But I do love it. After the kids are out of the house, I'd be glad to put that kind of time in on a regular basis.

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Old Friday, March 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
New Church Media Member

Reviving this thread.....

I put in about 60 hours a week.

Waiting for the yelling to stop.......

I'm on staff as the media director.
We work 6 day weeks. We are very media driven, last week we had
23 minutes of video in song support, promos, message intros, in a 70 minute service.
Generally we're running about 10-15 minutes of video.

I spend about 6 hours a week in meetings, the rest of the time is content creation or rehearsals - 4 services a week.

And the 6 days a week sounds hard but I'm in the very unique position of doing what I love, in an environment that is simply amazing.
Old Friday, March 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM

That actually sounds wonderful, oddly enough.

I'd love to have a crack at that much production time a week.

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Old Monday, April 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Ne'er-do-well

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborn4
That actually sounds wonderful, oddly enough.

I'd love to have a crack at that much production time a week.
Be careful what you wish for

The hours vary widely for me. Last week it was 5 or 6. More than usual to just prepare the slides because we do a dramatic reading for Palm Sunday. But less than usual for any given week because I didn't have the sermon stuff to design, too, and I took Sunday off.

Two weeks ago was more like the quote, "Q: How many hours a week do you volunteer? A: All of them!" I scanned pictures and made a video slideshow for my father-in-law's memorial, built stage extensions for a steel drum concert, ran media for the memorial, and did audio and IMAG for the steel drum concert. All in addition to the regular media stuff for Sunday.

Usually it's around 10 to 12 hours a week. That's including time to prepare the MediaShout files, sometimes creating new song or Bible backgrounds, design and create the sermon backgrounds, and 2.5 hours on Sunday (setup and one service). I frequently spend more per week, honing my skills and browsing the forums here and at CMN, too.
Old Wednesday, April 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM
New Church Media Member

I'm in that volunteer 10-12 hour a week range also. My week includes team communication (making sure everyone knows their assignments), collaborating on the metaphor/theme, making sure the office gets out the bulletin information on time, building worship and announcements slides or checking the work of others, Sunday morning check out and operating, equipment maintenance, and anything someone dreams up.

I did spend 12 hours straight on Christmas Eve 2006 because we needed four sets of slides for the various services and there were few in town to help. I put that on my sainthood resume I thought it was going to come that day because my wife threatened to kill me multiple times.

I automate things like meeting announcements and duty rosters where I can and rigidly enforce the use of my PowerPoint templates for building slides. I also set up a site in Yahoo!Groups for collaboration and documentation. Collectively that's saved a lot of time.
Old Wednesday, April 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Church Media Regular

I'm a paid, part-time Worship Leader ... 20 hours per week (until the last Sunday of April!!!). I end up working over that amount of time. I am responsible for all things worship ... music, band, sound, lights, media. I end up splitting whatever I work for the week ... half music / half tech. Since I receive the sermon on Friday, media gets my full attention from that point forward. I try to have all musical things finished by Friday so I don't get too stressed.

I only do the media for what relates to the worship service. I finally told them I wouldn't be doing any more announcement graphics because they were taking up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time to create. I only create song and sermon graphics and anything used for specials.

It will be interesting to see what life is like on the other end of the volunteer line .....

Old Wednesday, April 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccat
I finally told them I wouldn't be doing any more announcement graphics because they were taking up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time to create.
I wish I could care little enough to just slap together the announcement slides. But I enjoy doing them well too much to just slap together slides with 3 bulletpoints and a piece of clip art.

I have switched around and do the worship slides first, and then the announcements get whatever energy I have left.

Old Wednesday, April 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborn4
I wish I could care little enough to just slap together the announcement slides. But I enjoy doing them well too much to just slap together slides with 3 bulletpoints and a piece of clip art.
My point exactly. I, too, wouldn't just slap them together; I would search and search to find just the right graphic to match the announcement and then labor over the layout. It would take most of my Saturday ... I finally didn't see the purpose anymore when it is also listed in the bulletin and half the congregation didn't pay any attention to them. Now, someone is doing them in a power point template format in the welcome center ... I find it hard to look at them because they are not done very well. However, a volunteer is giving their time, so I keep my mouth shut.

I can definitely tell I need some caffeine! :MEOW:

Old Monday, April 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
New Church Media Member

I work about 35 hours a week in media ministry. My job has a variety of tasks, but the bulk of my work is video editing for television broadcast and graphic design for metaphor images. I also organize a group of volunteers and that takes a lot of administrative time. 12 of those hours are spent at the church on Sunday... doing my job for 3 worship services; two traditional United Methodist services and one contemporary service that is setup and torn down each and every week. We've been doing it for over 11 years, so we have it down to a science now. Those 12 hours zoom by so fast that I never watch the clock or count down the time to go home. I'm blessed to love what I do.

Old Thursday, January 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Jack of no trades

I'm full time staff and I get paid, but I put in roughly....

Sundays 6:45 am - 12:30 pm 3:30pm-8:30 pm
Mondays 9 am - 6 pm
tuesday 9 am - 6 pm
Wednesdays 9 am - 9:30 pm
thursdays 9 am - 8 pm
fridays about 4 hours
saturdays average of 3 hours

so that is close to 60 hours a week that is scheduled.

Then every week I have probably an addition 10-15 hours worth of meetings, dinners, and late night video editing or web site management.

It is a fulltime job and then some, but I love it and wouldn't want it any other way.

The Church Media Community > vendor communities > THE METAPHORUM > The Job of Media Ministry > How to be a Media Minister or Director