The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Lighting & Special Effects > House Lighting
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Monday, February 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Business Member!
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Yup. You need to get everything in the contract. Get everything in advance. We will do change orders until the items ship, but a lot of companies won't.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, February 7th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
If it had that fall off I would have gone with a CWWW IP65 rated LED PAR and saved $1000+ per fixture.
What is the specific fixture that you are referring to here?
Old Tuesday, February 7th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Church Media Mentor

Well I have two options. One is produced specifically for me in my new line of LED fixtures, it is a great little fixture for house lighting, but I am not going to lie, there is a blink from 2%-0%. The other fixture (by Elation that we also sell) has the same issue. You pay a couple hundred extra, but you get a name brand (not worth much to me, but some people are into that sort of thing).

Mike
Old Wednesday, March 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
New Church Media Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewf View Post
I suspect the demo unit the regional sales rep had was an older release that did not have the updated DMX board in it.

I have requested they bring an updated model on-site for us to demo for a few days before we ink the contract. I figure I'll have less negotiating power once the contract is signed.
I thought I would update this post.

The new unit they shipped up, which is a DL1500, has a much better dimming curve. It is a lot smoother.

We temporarily installed it in place of one of our existing fixtures and are pleased with the results.

As previously stated, our install will be after Easter.

I took a number of pictures of the unit, and have attached them here.

This is the Affineon DL-1500.

The outer shell is aluminum and is designed to be a massive heat sink.

This is a picture of the DMX control board that varies the power output to the LED board.

This is a picture of it temporarily installed in place of one of the old halogen fixtures.

A view from down below.

Note: This is a DL1500, most of our fixtures will be the brighter DL2500. The DL1500s will go under the balcony and the back 2 rows above the balcony.
Old Sunday, March 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Church Media Regular

I had my hands on a DL4000 the other day. Just one fixture but with 10d & 50d arrays.

At 70' the 50d gave about 5fc in a roughly 30' pool. The dimming was good but curve was lousy. Very little dimming until 60% and way too much below 10%. I'm sure that's software. Glare control was minimal but effective.

The company has been rough to deal with. I blame in on being overwhelmed because they seem to be the only game in town.

That said, look at http://www.gds.uk.com/gds-products/arcsystem - haven't seen it yet but looks good.
Also http://theblacktank.com/products/led-fixtures - they don't list it on the web but have quoted me on a 3000K (fixed) unit at about 2800lm for a very reasonable price. I put their RGBW and white units up against a 250PAR38 and was quite pleased.

More as it happens.
tpichler (Sunday, March 18th, 2012)
Old Thursday, April 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM
New Church Media Member

led lights

hi yes i have done so many church shows and the house lighting system and general room lighting has always been a nightmare trying to control as desired

im the production manager at Billboard the Venue in melboune its a large venue over 1,000 capacity many areas to light our lights were using 11,000 watts of power , and i had dimmers wall plates all over the place ive found a system called tri-pix , all led it is led lamps , can have rgb,rgbw, warm white and white fittings in many diffrent wattages then to my amazement it is all cat 5 back to the drivers , the drivers are 2 ru rackmount and each driver has 16 outs each out has its own dmx addresss so my eyes opend up wide so i got it installed at billboard all up it runs multiple led types and led strips i have about 400 led fittings and 400m of led strip and 10 drivers its changed my life , to contol them im doing it 2 ways (first is using a lighting desk called chamsys magic q , and the other is hdl like cbus with lcd wall pannels

gone down to using 1,000 watts now the entire system can run of 1 gpo to put it into perspective i spent so long researching all this and this comes from a local company in melboune and there prices are really suprising i cant talk it up enough i know another venue called seven nightclub also has a full system installed there almost as big as mine and they love it

if anyone wants to see my setup or know more ill give you the products companys details , im a lighting and audio video guy by trade and this system blew me away and now i feel i need to let the churches know to check out this system ........
Old Friday, April 13th, 2012, 01:33 AM
New Church Media Member

Thanks for your post

Loved your post. Yes I would like to get your supplier info, prices and anything else you can help me with.

Jeff Allred
journeychurchLIVE.com
918-571-3969
Old Friday, April 13th, 2012, 02:15 AM
New Church Media Member

are you in australia
Old Friday, April 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
New Church Media Member

Lovin all these posts and the information that everyone is sharing. LED technology for theatrical and general purpose lighting is rapidly advancing everyday.
We are systems intergrators, soundvideolighting.com, and work primarily with churches. For house lighting we always recommend that an architectural lighting engineer get involved to work out the photometrics. This is the best case scenario and we recommend Affineon, Peachtree & Sharp arch. LED fixtures. And there are more arch. options out there to find with a little research. However, many churches can not afford to go that route. We have just completed our first install with 35 Elation Opti Tri Par's, with 25 degree beam angle filters, over 800 seats, and it is amazing! We have worked hard to provide options, study photometrics and assist with modest budgets. We have also provided Jands Vista V2 Byron Control Software, an iMac and addl DMX distibution. In addition we've installed a programmable DMX wall controller for general room access. We fully discussed the desired brightness, in Foot Candles, and the color temperature required by the church and allowed them to make decisions with all the information that we gathered. The end results, a great team effort, a total win-win and an amazing install! The color temperatures aren't perfectly distributed, but, the trade offs in the affects achieved with every fixture having a discreet address is amazing. We are, however, able to achieve 3200k. But the camera's have to be tweaked to accomadate the RGB blends. You can't obtain perfect eveness in crowd shots without incondescent lighting, even architectural LED's are still suspect but getting better, with the theatricals there are trade offs and you have to work with it more, but, you can find a happy medium.

In our next project, we our installing 50 Elation Opti Quad Pars' for House Lighting. This church had a better budget and desired more brightness. At the same time they couldn't afford the architectural fixtures and did not want incondescent. We're excited to provide these solutions and are continually working with our pro theatrical lighting vendors, as well as acrhitectural vendors, to provide more options. God Bless!
Old Friday, April 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Church Media Mentor

Good to meet you man. But you can in fact get even coverage with LEDs both PARs and architectural. It is just a matter of design. A few hints I have run across in the last 15 years or so of dealing with LED lights:

The Tri-PAR is not the best fixture for a design like that in my opinion because of the three color option and the smaller beam angle.

The quad will be better, but the unit you should really look at if you are set on using elation fixtures is the CWWW version of these fixtures. You really need the amber and white diodes to get the correct color temps. I usually use different brands myself, because I prefer to get the 45-55 degree beam angle that Elation doesn't offer.

You can also use Elation's DF64 diffusion to get better distribution.

Also, you might want to use reflected light, it can help the dimming curve and the diffusion as well. It was a little tip we picked up that works especially well in rooms with low ceilings.

Mike
Old Monday, May 21st, 2012, 02:16 PM
New Church Media Member

LED lighting

I've been reading as much as I can on LED lighting and have learned alot by reading the posts. We are working on a new worship center and have tossed around LED, incadescent and fluorescent lighting but really havent settled on one yet. I saw this link and thought it might have promise especially since it was dimmable with DMX controls. delraylighting.com/big lights.html

We had even purchased a few LED troffers to see what they would look like over the house seating, seemed promising but reading more in this forum I see they use the 0-10v dimmer which won't work for us.
acuitybrandslighting.com/library/LLdocuments/SpecSheets/2TLED-2X2.pdf

Anyway thought someone might have some thoughts. Sanctuary size is about 90x90, 16' high sidewalls with 32' peak, black ceiling and the platform located in the corner.
Old Monday, May 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Church Media Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonte View Post
I've been reading as much as I can on LED lighting and have learned alot by reading the posts. We are working on a new worship center and have tossed around LED, incadescent and fluorescent lighting but really havent settled on one yet. I saw this link and thought it might have promise especially since it was dimmable with DMX controls. delraylighting.com/big lights.html

We had even purchased a few LED troffers to see what they would look like over the house seating, seemed promising but reading more in this forum I see they use the 0-10v dimmer which won't work for us.
acuitybrandslighting.com/library/LLdocuments/SpecSheets/2TLED-2X2.pdf

Anyway thought someone might have some thoughts. Sanctuary size is about 90x90, 16' high sidewalls with 32' peak, black ceiling and the platform located in the corner.
I find something interesting, people have this idea that you can use incandescent OR florescent OR LED, but honestly, you can use a combination of lighting technologies, even in the same room.

Before you pick a technology though think about this, what is the cost of the fixture over the life of the fixture. If the average fixture last 25 years, then you add the cost of the fixture, bulb replacements and energy use over that 25 years. BTW, energy use can be complex, for example an incandescent lamp is an energy hog, it turns something like 90% of it's energy into heat, that can be a good thing in winter, it reduces the heating bill, but you pay for that in the summer when your A/C needs to counteract that heat. Bulb replacements can also be more then just the $5 for the bulb, if you need to rent a cherry picker to get to the fixture to replace the bulb.

The Church Media Community > Lighting & Special Effects > House Lighting