The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Graphics & Photography > Graphics Software
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Graphics Software Photoshop and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thursday, October 2nd, 2003, 10:24 AM
Church Media Regular

Outlining text and objects in Photoshop Elements

I am trying to do what seems to be a very simple thing but cannot figure out how to do it in Photoshop Elements. I am trying to add a simple outline to text objects or other shapes (squares, ellipses, etc.) and cannot figure out how to do it. The only place I see to add outlines is in the Bevels menu. However I want to outline AND bevel.

This is a very basic thing to do that even Microsoft Office tools can do. I know the full version of Photoshop can do this (saw Tim do it at the workshop and in the Graphics Tutorial on the DVD that comes with his book). I need to know if Elements can do it and if so how.

Thanks!

Allan
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 03:57 AM
New Church Media Member

Just a couple of ideas. Others will probably know other ways, too. Open Effects. You will have three options for outlining text. Thin, medium and bold. You don't have any control of color of outline (as far as I know). I bought a "One Click Wow" book for elements. It has several options under Layer Styles/Strokes. I'll be interested to see some other ways. (I usually bounce back and forth between Elements 2.0 and Fireworks - which handles outlining text with more control.)
Old Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 08:18 AM
Church Media Regular

I just ordered "One Click Wow" a couple of nights ago. It looked like a pretty good deal. What has been your impression of it?

I have been looking under Layer Styles for outlining options. I did not look under effects. I will try that tonight.

One of the biggest drawbacks I have found (in my 2 weeks using Photoshop Elements) is the fact that you cannot control the color of things like shadows and glows. One of these days I may have to spring for the full version of Photoshop.

Of course I am really just dabbling in this right now. I am really an audio guy who knows how to run computers (I work for HP, formerly Compaq). I volunteered to put together PowerPoint slides for the sermon notes because I know that would help ME get a lot more out of the sermon (and others as well.) My father has the Corel Photosuite tools so I may try them as well before plopping down a chunk of change on a full version of one of these programs.

If it wasn't for Tim's workshop I wouldn't even know about Elements. Of course I would be stuck with the same PowerPoint template I created when we first started doing sermon notes. (Tim, should I be counting how many times I plug your workshop just like we counted how many times you plugged your book during the workshop? )
Old Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM
Tim Eason - ChurchMedia.net Community Founder 1999-2008
Spectator

ANSWER

There is another way to outline in PS Elements. First, select the object you want to outline. If it's text, hold down Ctrl and click on the text layer you're wanting to affect in the layers box. This will select around the text (will work with other shapes also). Then, click on Edit in the toolbar and then Stroke (outdated term for outline). Now you can set the outline thickness and color. Click OK and you have your outline!

The lack of control over layer styles in Elements is probably one of the biggest frustrations, but I'm still thrilled with how much of PS they put into Elements.
Old Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 01:58 PM
Church Media Regular

Now I have something else to try. I tried the Text Effects at lunch today and it works. However it removes the original text and only leaves the effect. The rendered effect is also a simple object, no longer a text object. Using the Text Effects method you would have to 1) duplicate the layer so you would have the text and the effect, and 2) do this after you know you have the text exactly the way you want it.

Hopefully "Stroke" will work better.
Old Friday, October 3rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
New Church Media Member

Allan, I first bought the One Click Wow book for Elements 1.0. I have since bought the One Click Wow for 2.0. One thing to remember as you play with these, if you want the styles to really kick you have to up the resolution to 225. You can do some great things with text. It is just like they say, one click. While I'd also love the control of Photoshop, Elements has made a great difference in my powerpoint presentations. I, also, do the slides for our sermon each week. Our first efforts at a web site can be found here. Take a look at the sermon files. I use multiple pictures on each slide so that an additional point is added with each click. The folks on this site convinced me to give Elements a try. The text looks a lot better than stock PowerPoint. Have fun with your One Click styles.
Old Monday, October 6th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Church Media Regular

Re: ANSWER

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Eason
There is another way to outline in PS Elements. First, select the object you want to outline. If it's text, hold down Ctrl and click on the text layer you're wanting to affect in the layers box. This will select around the text (will work with other shapes also). Then, click on Edit in the toolbar and then Stroke (outdated term for outline). Now you can set the outline thickness and color. Click OK and you have your outline!
I tried this but there is one step missing from the procedure above. You have to simplify the layer before you can do any of this. If I Ctrl-click the text layer without simplifying, the Stroke option is not available. After I simplify the layer, I can Ctrl-click and then Simplify.

The biggest problem is that since the layer is simplified, you can no longer edit it as text. This caused me much grief this weekend. I was creating some signs for my wife to hang on a bulletin board at the church and wanted the text outlined. We went through a couple of iterations of font size before finding the right one. Since the text was simplified I had to reenter the text every time I wanted to change it. (This was over a couple of days so I had shut down the computer so I could not just undo and go back. Too bad the undo history was not saved in the .psd file so you could undo after opening a file that was previously closed.)
Old Monday, October 6th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Paul Alan Clifford
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Now I'm not familiar with elements, but can you do this? Make a duplicate of the layer before you simplifiy it. Now take the layer without the stroke and and turn off its visability.

Now, if that doesn't work, just delete that layer and turn on the visability of the copy and viola, you can start over.

Paul
Old Monday, October 6th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Church Media Regular

That's exactly what I was planning on doing from now on. It is a real bummer that Elements cannot do something so simple. I guess you can't expect the world from a $58 program.
Old Monday, January 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM
learning as he goes...

That's why I use the GIMP

And those frustrations are exactly why I still use the GIMP... at least until I can spring for a copy of Photoshop. I have to go through the same sorts of steps with the GIMP that you're having to go through in Elements.

*sigh*

Peace,
Rich
Old Sunday, January 18th, 2004, 05:01 PM
mediageek413
Spectator

text effect program?

i've been playing with trial versions of ps7 and elements2. both trials expired last night, so i've got to take the plunge and get something.

from what i've read and seen elements does most everything i need to right now - except for text effects. but unfortunately i can't spring for ps7 to get all the options. so here is my question: is there another program that will let me do text effects, save it as a png, then bring it into elements? i realize you can't edit it then, but that wouldn't be that much of a problem since you can just pop over to the text program, change, save, etc.

is this logical? does such a program exist?
Old Sunday, January 18th, 2004, 05:28 PM
imperialspatula
Spectator

You might try browsing www.download.com to see if they have any programs that you might be able to use.

The Church Media Community > Graphics & Photography > Graphics Software