The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Video Production Editing systems and software, cameras, mixers and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Saturday, June 18th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Formerly known as Laptop

Lower-Third Templates?

I was wondering if any one knew of a resource where I could find some lower-third templates in PSD format. I'm working on a video, and am having a hard time coming up with one I like; figured if there were a few templates to choose from, I might find one I like.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, June 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Compulsive proofreader

I don't have any templates to offer, but I've watched Paul Podraza create lower thirds. The process is pretty straightforward (everything is easy once you understand it).

Select File -> New to create a new blank image. Set the size as desired and set Contents to transparent. This gives you a transparent background layer.

Open a image file that has some "interesting" area that is suitable for the lower third background. Drag-and-drop the image into your new image to create a second layer.

Move the image layer around until the "interesting" area is in the proper place. You may want to zoom out ([Ctrl][-]), which lets you see your entire image and lets you get to the "handles" that allow you to rotate it.

Select your eraser tool and erase most of the image except around the area that you want to keep. Use a solid brush for the initial cleanup, then switch to a "feathered brush" to finish up the edge of your image (probably not the right term, but if you click on the drop down list of brushes, you will find some that look "fuzzy").

When you've got it the way you want it, use your Rectangular Marque tool and select the entire visible image. Select Image -> Crop from the menu to get rid of the unused part of the original image and make your PSD file smaller.

Save the PSD file, select your Horizontal Type tool, select your font typeface and size, and start copying and pasting text from your song lyric file. You can just save each slide as a graphics file, but it is better (if you have disk space) to save each slide as a separate PSD file in case you need to make quick changes.

I'll let others jump in with other suggestions. I use PhotoShop Elements.
Old Sunday, June 19th, 2005, 09:15 PM
New Church Media Member

I don't have any to offer yet ... wish i did.

However, I did a quick search for "lower third templates" and "lower third graphics" and found one or two.

Try:
www.livetypecentral.com and look at their template section or I even found a couple with a "PSD lower thirds" search but some of them were really pricey.

Wish I could be more helpful -- sorry
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Church Media Expert

Digital Juice Editor Toolkits.
www.digitaljuice.com
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
'kuh'-'nay'-'goh'
Become a CMN Professional Member!

I'd certainly like to be able to do my own, but I'm having a few issues getting any graphics I do into video. Specifically, what resolutions to use, and a few things surrounding aspect ratios. I've played around with pixel aspect ratios and such with Photoshop CS2, but nothing turns out right. I'm using Magix Video Deluxe for video editing. Any ideas?
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kanago
I'd certainly like to be able to do my own, but I'm having a few issues getting any graphics I do into video. Specifically, what resolutions to use, and a few things surrounding aspect ratios...
I use Photoshop Elements and Sony Vegas Movie Studio (low budget!). I just start with a new file that is NTSC size (720x480?) and has a transparent background. Then add another layer that is the graphic you want - for normal church service videos I usually just make it either fade to black or fade to white. Drop that into the video ed program as a video overlay and adjust the fade-in, fade-out, and transparency there. One of these days I am actually going to read the user's manual and see how you're really supposed to do that!

blessings,
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 04:07 PM
just some guy, y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifficb
... I just start with a new file that is NTSC size (720x480?) and has a transparent background...
blessings,
Since Photoshop elements doesn't do non-square pixels, you should have a document size of 720x540 although if Vegas can do square pix then no problems.

Using 720x480 will work but you might notice that the aspect ratio will look different when you bring in a square pixel document into an NLE that doesn't support square pixels.

If your aren't sure if your NLE can handle square pixels, make circle, or square or other symetrical shape (width=height) and if it doesn't look the same in your NLE, then you'll have to edit in 720x540 in photoshop.
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 04:09 PM
just some guy, y'know?

Visit Kenstone.net for further reading.

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production