The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Video Production Editing systems and software, cameras, mixers and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, February 29th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Pastor to all things tech

Question Video is washing out

I'm having a little trouble getting the lighting right on videos and I could use some help.
When I record a video and display it on our projection screen it is washed out if I use auto iris on our camera. Faces look flat and light colors blow out. (I am doing a white balance each time too)
If I close the iris a bit so it looks better on a screen or tv it is too dark on the recording. The recording will look great on the computer but on tv or projection the colors are lost and everything looks very muted.
Does anyone have some resources to help me learn how to make sure I have things set properly.

I am also having trouble getting our audio signal loud enough for a good recording. I'm using a matrix out from the board into the DVD recorder but the audio level is very low. I have also tried the record out on the mixer but the level is even lower.

Examples of our videos are here https://vimeo.com/channels/obcc
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, February 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM
WayPoint Community Church

Hmm - As to the audio, what type of equipment are you using. It may be mismatched. Most Pro audio gear is +4DB while semi consumer is -10DB. You may need a converter to get the signals to match. - SOme boards and gear have the option of both.

TP
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, February 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Serious facial expression

TechPastor,

Similar to setting up proper gain structure when using a PA system the same is true for video. It sounds to me like you have no objective standard when judging the camera signal. You are instead using “how the projection looks,” or “how the TV looks,” “or how the computer recording looks” all which are subjective and (at least for the moment) are not set-up the same.

In addition to what I point out above the fact that the colors are lost and things generally look muted makes me wonder if the projector may not be cranked too high (the equivalent of going to “11” on a PA). When projectors are pushed too hard they tend to lose contrast and chroma (color).

THIS IS NOT (necessarily) A LIGHTING ISSUE.

When setting up video gain structure it’s important to have an objective standard. This is typically a waveform monitor & vectorscope. The signal is then tested at each point in it’s journey:

- At the back of the camera
- At the end of the camera cable before the switcher or distribution
- At the output of the switcher
- At the TV (or modulator)
- At the computer input card
- At the end of the projector cable

The amplitude (strength) of the video signal in luminance (brightness) and chrominance (color) at each point should be identical. Once that is accomplished the projector itself, TV itself, computer itself can be tweaked as needed.

If on the other hand (you do not follow the instructions above) and you adjust the camera so it looks good (only) on the Projector it will likely be bad elsewhere. So on. So forth.

If you do not have access to a waveform monitor & vectorscope and/or do not have the expertise to use one you can accomplish a similar result by borrowing, renting, stealing a video monitor which has been properly calibrated and move it around and feed it all the signals above where the waveform monitor & vectorscope are described.
Old Wednesday, February 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
iOS Team Leader

Throw out "how it looks on TV or projector" for now. Those are actually separate issues. Let's focus first on getting a good-looking recording.

To start, tell me:
  1. What make/model is your camera?
  2. What kind of cable runs from your camera to your recording system?
  3. How are you recording?
  4. What kind of computer are you using to view the video?
  5. What video editing software do you have on your computer?
Old Wednesday, February 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
First Impressions Pastor

Does you camera have the Zebra function built in?

From Wikipedia: "Zebra patterning is a feature found on some prosumer and most professional video cameras to aid in correct exposure. When enabled, areas of the image over a certain threshold are filled with a striped or cross-hatch pattern. Often, two thresholds are available: 70% and 100%. The former is useful for correctly exposing skin tones, while the latter is used to ensure overall scene exposure is correct."

If so use that to adjust the camera to create a good video signal. You will need to read your manual to see how it is configured. Then, as Tom said, so much better than this - you need to adjust your output devices so that they look good with a good video signal.

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production