The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Video Production Editing systems and software, cameras, mixers and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, January 25th, 2012, 01:30 PM
New Church Media Member

Like most people, Streaming help

hey everyone. it seems like half the topics now are about streaming video, and forgive me but i've got one more.

we're expanding one of our campuses (portable) and need to send a feed to our children's ministry building (any hard wiring is not possible), so we're planning on using ustream (or similar provider) to upload, and then have a computer connected to a monitor in the childrens area to display. anyways, here's my intended signal flow...

Canon XF100 > component out > Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt (or Intensity Extreme, depending on when they release them) > Macbook Pro (via thunderbolt).

We're hoping to simultaneously live stream the video, and capture video either on CF in the camera, or straight to the computer.

1. any glaring options i'm missing?
2. ustream (or similar provider) should recognize the component video as a video source, correct?
3. i'm sure it could be up for debate, but should i look into any other provider besides ustream?
4. and this one may be a kicker, but... we're going to have to get creative with wifi. the school will not let us connect to theirs. any idea how much data would be used to upload a live feed via ustream for a 90 minute service? we're considering using a verizon 4g MiFi, which charges per data used (over 5gigs a month).

ok, i know that's a lot, but i'm ready to hear the questions. i know normally y'all are looking for more specifics on everything, so i'll try to help with that as needed. you're awesome. thanks!
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, January 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM
iOS Team Leader

How far away is the children's ministry building?
Old Wednesday, January 25th, 2012, 03:34 PM
New Church Media Member

id say about a good 300 yards or so.
Old Thursday, January 26th, 2012, 05:51 AM
iOS Team Leader

Would the school let you put direct point-to-point Wi-Fi transceivers on their roofs? You'll get much, MUCH higher quality video creating your own private WAN (Wireless Area Network) than if you compress to the very limited bandwidth needed for Internet streaming.
Old Tuesday, February 14th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Church Media Regular

a Thought...

Being this is end a school, I assume the whole setup is portable, and setup/toredown every Sunday. Maybe get a fiberoptic cable to connect the two buildings, roll it out and the roll it up every sunday. Higher intial cost, but no monthy 4g cost!

But now that i have thought about it fiber would be expensive, so i had another thought!

Check this out

I called Startech.com, talked to their tech support. they are rated up to 1.5 miles, so 1000' should be no problem. The guy says that you just connect the two boxes with coax, pluggin the power, and patch cord from each box to the network/computer on either end. He swears it will go through splices, splitters, and such, and it would work just like a 1000' Cat5 cable, if Cat5 wasn't limited to 100m/330 ft.

Coax is cheap, like $75 dollars for 1000' feet, rather rugged and can be easily spliced if damaged.

Just put a box on either end, roll out some coax across the lawn between the buildings and whaloia! 100mbit between the two.After church roll the coax back up.

JR

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production

Tags
broadcasting, general awesomeness, streaming, thunderbolt