The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Video Production Editing systems and software, cameras, mixers and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, October 28th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Church Media Regular

Computer Computer from Best Buy

Hey guys! Got a question for you. I've got to get a new computer for the church to edit and produce video. I'll probably be running CS3 or CS4 Production. The thing is, they really want me to get it from Best Buy. I think it's got something to do with a financing arrangement. Whatever the case, that's what I'm working with. Budget is probably around $1500 ($2k max, but I've got to get some other stuff, so I don't want to push it.) Could you guys take a few minutes to look on Best Buy's site (consumer and business) and tell me what you'd recommend? I'd really appreciate it. I need to get this fairly soon. Thanks!

P.S. Didn't want to make this post too long, so if I've left anything out, please ask!
Old Tuesday, October 28th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Church Media Regular

a mac would be great, but your budget would only allow for a macbook pro, and then you're maxed out. you could check this one out
Old Tuesday, October 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Church Media Regular

Yeah, the macs are pretty much out of range. I like the one you picked. I'm a little concerned about the 4GB memory cap though. With 64bit operating, would I be missing out on being able to take advantage of the higher limits on some of the newer systems?
Old Tuesday, October 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Church Media Regular

how intense are you going to be editing? is it mostly just short promos and sermons or is it going to be a ton of stuff in HD?
Old Tuesday, October 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Church Media Regular

Dell Studio MT SMT-117B
Cost: $1,049
24" Monitor
Vista 64 Home Premium
Intel Q8200 Core 2 Quad proccessor
1333 Front Side Bus
8GB Ram
2x 640GB SATA Hard Drive

Outstanding rig for the price.

The ATI Radeon 3450 video card should be ok...probably want to spend a little extra and upgrade the video card if your going to do any HD video editing in CS4.

This package does not come with PowerPoint, so you may have to purchase it if you need it.
Mike
Old Tuesday, October 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prochlea View Post
how intense are you going to be editing? is it mostly just short promos and sermons or is it going to be a ton of stuff in HD?
No plans to do HD in the near future. Promos, sermons, etc. I would like it to be able to handle After Effects decently well.

The Q8200 in the last system...it's a pretty good chip? Also, if I got that system with the monitor included, I probably would have some wiggling room for a GPU upgrade. Any thoughts on that?
Old Tuesday, October 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
New PA System Survivor

I would be very concerned buying a computer from Best Buy - not because of Best Buy but I'm very hesitant of any consumer-grade computer equipment in a pro application.

Honestly, an HP XW-series workstation would be the route I'd go. Rock solid, workstation-class, totally unattractive gray box with 3-year on-site service to boot. We're using HP XW Workstations through our entire corporate (hundreds of PCs) and our failure rate has dropped to a small faction of what it was with any of our previous manufacturers (including a company that sounds like a place of fire and brimstone).

We're still on Toshiba laptops. Not sure why.
Old Wednesday, October 29th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayward View Post
I would be very concerned buying a computer from Best Buy - not because of Best Buy but I'm very hesitant of any consumer-grade computer equipment in a pro application.

Honestly, an HP XW-series workstation would be the route I'd go. Rock solid, workstation-class, totally unattractive gray box with 3-year on-site service to boot. We're using HP XW Workstations through our entire corporate (hundreds of PCs) and our failure rate has dropped to a small faction of what it was with any of our previous manufacturers (including a company that sounds like a place of fire and brimstone).

We're still on Toshiba laptops. Not sure why.
I looked at the XW workstations on the Best Buy business site. (the link is in a drop down list at the bottom of the page under "More Best Buy Sites") The only thing about those is the base cost of a quad core without a monitor or second hard drive is pushing really close to my budget.
Old Wednesday, October 29th, 2008, 07:33 AM
New PA System Survivor

Hey - Best Buy in the US sells those XW workstations? That's awesome!

I know they're expensive. From my experience, your odds of being disapointed with them in terms of stability is much lower. Personally, I think they are at the least worth a close look.

We always use the Intel-based models.
Old Wednesday, October 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayward View Post
Hey - Best Buy in the US sells those XW workstations? That's awesome!

I know they're expensive. From my experience, your odds of being disapointed with them in terms of stability is much lower. Personally, I think they are at the least worth a close look.

We always use the Intel-based models.
There are several different models to choose from. (I'm actually working on an xw4600 here at my office.) I'd only want to go with a quad core moving forward. When you get some time, could you visit the site and give me a recommendation? I really appreciate and value your feedback along with everyone else who's posted to this thread. Thanks!
Old Wednesday, October 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Church Media Regular

You could buy an iMac through Best Buy. You could get into the low range for $1200 or the mid range for $1500.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, October 29th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Church Media Regular

I saw those. I've never personally worked on one, and I didn't know if they could handle the production suite.

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production

Tags
computer, editing, production, video