The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Video Production Editing systems and software, cameras, mixers and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, August 21st, 2007, 05:33 PM
New Church Media Member

Media Shout and Video Files

Short Version: Media Shout encounters an error when we fire a video cue and shuts down in the middle of the service.

Long Version: We export short films we shoot using final cut pro to the codec Media Shout recommends (k-pack light mega pack, sorenson 3). We then insert it into our media shout presentation (we don't "pack" it, but just put it in). Sometimes it operates normally, but sometimes after we go through a few slides and some graphic cues we go to fire the video cue and Media encounters an error and shuts down....in the middle of a service.

I am looking for churches who use media shout and use the video cues successfully. Other churches i've talked to use media shout but still play videos through a dvd player and use a switcher. We assumed one of the perks of Media Shout was to be able to play videos through it, so if any one had succeeded at this I would love to talk to you!
Feel free to call our church office at 360-318-9446 and ask for Erin or post a reply.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, August 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
"Your mom goes to college!"
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Erin,

I use MS all the time w/o problem. Can you tell us a bit about your computer?

Follow me on Twitter
Old Tuesday, August 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
You need that NOW!!

We use video very regularly through MS without any problems. What video format are you using? Sometimes that makes a world of difference. The formats that have worked the best for us are: mpg1, mov, divx, avi.
Old Tuesday, August 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM
Web Geek

We run videos from Integrety Worship with MS. On the one laptop they run fine, on my laptop tthe videos will play in WIndows Media Player and WinAmp, but in MS, it keeps coming up saying it can't find the video file...

I was going to uninstall then reinstall the K-Lite Codec pack (http://www.freecodec.com/) and see if that will fix it on my end. If you haven't installed this, you may want to give it a try.

-Greg
Old Tuesday, August 21st, 2007, 11:25 PM
Church Media Member

We use Media Shout and videos weekly. Mpegs1 and AVI's with no problems.
Old Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
DebC

We use MPGs, home-grown and purchased, on both our Media Shout machines each week. They even run on Windows Media Edition and versions of Media Shout which are woefully out of date. [Please note that Windows Media is not considered a supported platform for Media Shout. Use at your own risk.]

One machine runs a looped video during all of worship.

The other one runs at LEAST 4 videos during service, but not loops. Sometimes double that many.

I'd MUCH prefer to have MPGs than mess with the DVD. FAR more control and less things to go wrong.

We do take several preventative measures:

1. We reboot each machine before we use it.

2. We never allow KIM on at the same time a video is playing. A nursery call will have to wait a minute or we'll use the other computer for it.

3. We don't allow automatic updates - they seem to come at the most inopportune times!

4. We never EVER show two videos back to back. There's always a still, even if it's a 3 minute black fade, between them.

5. We don't run any other programs unless they're just utterly necessary while Media Shout is running. One computer runs AIM for communication with the Nursery and Children's church and the other one runs Audacity, recording the service.

All this is probably over-kill - but like most people, we don't like burps during service, and these things HAVE caused problems before. We just don't take the chance anymore.

The machines are almost 2 years old, they were pretty snazzy machines for that moment. Each one has 2 gigs of memory and a 512 of VRam on *each* video card.

I've read the instructions about how to get QuickTime movies to play, but I just consider codecs kinda way too scary of things to fiddle with. What we have works, and I'll convert anything else TO work. So we use whatever was in the machine when we bought it.

deb
Old Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM
New Church Media Member

So I think i have narrowed our problem down to the codec we use. When you guys export your videos using final cut pro do you use a compressor and then compress in to an mpg1? I think our problem may be that we are exporting to an .mov quicktime file and then doing the whole codec converting thing. i agree, codecs are so tempermental and we haven't been able to find the right one apparently.
Old Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Keeping it Real

When I export from Adobe Premiere, I use the Panasonic DV codec. works like a charm, every time...as long as your hard drive can keep up (5400RPM min, 7200RPM recommended).

Welcome to CMN!

Joey
Old Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
New Church Media Member

Update the drivers

I know this may seem simple and obvious, but we were having issues with our MS and videos for the longest time until we updated the drivers for the video card.
Old Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
CMN MediaWallah

If you normally output to .mov, you can just install the QuickTime Alternative and run .mov in MS (and, for that matter, WMP, IE, etc).

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

(IIRC, you need to uninstall QT first.)

We use it all the time, no problems.
Old Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 09:14 PM
New Church Media Member

Final Cut Pro and Media Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
So I think i have narrowed our problem down to the codec we use. When you guys export your videos using final cut pro do you use a compressor and then compress in to an mpg1? I think our problem may be that we are exporting to an .mov quicktime file and then doing the whole codec converting thing. i agree, codecs are so tempermental and we haven't been able to find the right one apparently.
The trick we've had success out of exporting videos from Final Cut Pro on a mac is the following.

1) K-Lite Codec Pack
2) Quicktime Alternative
3) In Final Cut. Export via "Using Quicktime Conversion". Use the LAN or Broadband High settings. (This will make the files a lot similar in size to those downloaded from Sermonspice.com which play great for us. We use the default settings.)

Notes:
1) I'm waiting for my v4 discs. I know this works on v3.
2) Be sure to always uninstall K-Lite packs before installing new versions. We always install codec packs before installing quicktime alternative. (K-Lite recommends this procedure.)
3) We don't install itunes on our presentation machines.
Old Tuesday, May 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM
DebC

I do the video in FCP ... export as a QT .mov file, with DV ... whatever it is encoding.

Then I pop it over to my PC and re-render it as an MPG, because I have yet to get even a decent AVI from FCP, let alone an MPG. Not even QT Pro on either machine helps.

Honestly, I just want MS to work with QT. I'd pay extra for it, for crying out loud.

deb

The Church Media Community > Video Production & Broadcasting > General Video Production