The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Projection Systems > General Projection Systems
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Projection Systems Projectors, screens, scalers, switchers, scan converters and other display equipment.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Monday, May 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Youth Dude
Become a CMN Professional Member!

connecting two projectors

Would it be an acceptable picture to connect a second projector to the "monitor out" VGA port on a projector? I've got two projectors pointing to two angled walls at a new church that just happen to be about 20 feet apart, yet they are over 100' from the video booth. Could I run one VGA cable to one projector and then "jump across" to the other through a short VGA cable from "monitor out" on one projector to the "computer in" in the 2nd projector? I have two projectors shining on the front walls of the church for the congregation and one shining on the back wall for the choir and the pastor. Ceiling grid goes in this week!!

jay
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Monday, May 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Church Media Expert

That's the way I have mine connected right now. My 2 projectors are sitting one on top of the other, just facing oposite directions; Front screen and back wall (Confidence monitor for platform people.) Works just fine that way.
Old Tuesday, May 8th, 2007, 01:23 AM
iNerdy

That's perfectly fine to do that.... No Loss (I think)
Old Tuesday, May 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM
will design for bandwidth

We do that all the time when we set up 2 projectors for our annual conference. Run VGA up to one and then vga across to the other. Makes the second run shorter.

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Old Tuesday, May 8th, 2007, 07:47 AM
New Church Media Member

I've done that with our triplehead set up. The feed to the centre projector loops through another projector for the confidence screen. I don't see any significant signal loss compared with the left and right projectors which are fed directly from the triplehead.
Old Tuesday, May 8th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Video Producer

in our portable setup we have DA wich split the feed into each projector, in our actual building we looped it through the main projector right into the confidence projector, looks great!!!
Old Wednesday, May 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
New Church Media Member

it is OK do that, but my concern is those 100 feet of RGB cable. do you have ready made with D-DUB 15pin conector or 5 BNC connectors? and in what resolution you run them? 100 feet will affect the quality preatty much.
Old Wednesday, May 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM
iNerdy

100 foot... 30m
that's not so much.... I've seen 40m cables used with very little degradation in the overall picture quality
Old Wednesday, May 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM
New Church Media Member

depends form resalution and cable quality. lets do some math. for example runing 1024x768 60Hz gives 47 MHz pixelrate (it would mean only on/off) so you need to extend the frequency till ~200MHz for ok picture at least. if a typical coax cable drops abut 8dB at 200MHz you on 300 feet, it is not that much. problem is more in quality of inputs, and connectors -> it leads to so called reflected signal, (it shows up like shadows around sharp objects. poar quality of cable makes the picture blur.

that all comes down to money you can spend, and what sources you use.
Old Tuesday, December 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
New Church Media Member

Connecting two projectors of SVGA and XGA resolutions

The PC is connected to an XGA projector for the front center screen. We need to add another screen for the back wall. Will it work if we connect a second projector (with native resolution of SVGA) to the first via the "computer out"? Or, do we need to match the resolution between the two projectors?
Old Tuesday, December 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
New Church Media Member

matching resolution is not really an option, as your main screen is XGA and that should stay like that. If the projector for the back of the wall is close to the FOH and there are the projecton pc, the best option should be using spliter, and let the svga projector do the rescaling. it would have artifacts, on thin lines and decorative texts, but it is not that bad.

the proper way would be other tough, if I correctly understand the reason for the secondary screen.

if you use the easyworship you can use so called foldback displaly feature, more info: http://easyworship.com/easyworship/g...setup_foldback

i'm sure that there are other programs that can do that as well.
Old Tuesday, December 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Church Media Mentor

When running analog video or graphics there is nothing inherently wrong with going into an XGA native projector and looping out to an SVGA native projector. Of course if you set the source to match the main projector resolution then the second projector will have to process the image to match its resolution but it should work.

One element to consider is that for the second projector the path is then the cable run to the first projector, a physical connection to the projector input, some internal wiring, another physical connection for the looping output, some additional cabling and yet a third physical connection to the other projector input. You are adding not just additional cabling length but also two additional physical connections with their associated losses and potential reliability issues.

The Church Media Community > Projection Systems > General Projection Systems