The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Projection Systems > General Projection Systems
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Projection Systems Projectors, screens, scalers, switchers, scan converters and other display equipment.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Friday, April 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
New Church Media Member

Aspect ratio question re: switcher

Planning on buying a Datavideo SE-800 got me thinking and did a little look-around on their website. We're using 16x9 camcorders (camcorders set to 16x9 aspect ratio I should say), and responding to a question in their FAQ section Datavideo simply indicates that all 16x9 cameras also work in 4x3, so I assume they imply: don't bother using 16x9, simply switch back to good ole' TV format.

So I'm a little confused here - what's going to happen to my 16x9 signal if I want to keep it that way? I don't need to send it to a projection screen, the output of the switcher will feed into a computer for live streaming and simultaneously into a DVD recorder (occasionally maybe to a camcorder for DV recording or another PC to capture the DV stream for post production). I don't care if on the control monitors the video will be streched, I can live with that, but since true 16x9 is still 720x480 pixels, will the switcher leave the picture untouched so I can interpret it as 16x9 in post production, or will it squeeze it?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Friday, April 27th, 2007, 05:18 PM
the Dr. is in

It won't matter what you are feeding it, 4:3, 16:9 letterbox, 16:9 anamorphic, etc. As long as it is NTSC video it will switch it. We run all of our cameras 16:9 anamorphic through a Datavideo switcher and all monitors are in 16:9 mode, as well as the plasma and projectors we feed it with.

We also capture with a Firestore, it doesn't know the difference between 16:9 and 4:3, I just have to adjust the files in Final Cut Pro to tell them the video is 16:9 anamorphic and it changes to the right aspect ratio. Your DVD recorder may not have an option to encode the file as 16:9, so that may be sqeezed.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment

The Church Media Community > Projection Systems > General Projection Systems