The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > The Idea Factory > General Media Ministry Ideas
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Friday, September 17th, 2010, 07:49 PM
New Church Media Member

Small Church needing help with Flat Screen TV's

Hello All,

Not sure this goes here, but we are a small church that wants to upgrade to two Flat Screen TV's on each side of the stage. Our room is about 30' x 60' and sits about 100. We current use one projector to the right side of the stage but with outside lighting when showing any video's makes a little hard to see.

If some one could point me in the right direction on what I would need to buy to get this done would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Church Media Expert

Hi Jon. First of all welcome to CMN.

Any reason you are thinking flat screen TV's would be better than projectors? You say that the video picture is washed out. Can you let us know what type of projector you are using (make, model, power (lumens),) what size screen you have and roughly what the distance is between the screen and projector. Also what type of screen are you using? Can you shield the screen from the sun?

I am just thinking that upgrading the projector may be a cheaper solution than installing flat screen TV's - and that if you install TV's in direct sunlight you may still experience the same problems you have now.

A high brightness projector (with a new lamp) and a high-reflectivity screen coupled with some sun shielding may be the better solution? Just a thought.

Dave
Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
New Church Media Member

Dave,

Thanks fro your responce, I need to run by the Church here in a couple of hours, I will get the Model number for the projector, I am thinking it was 1800 lums when we bought it from Staples. Currently we show it on the wall (White), the projector is about 12'. We have 8 54"x54" windows in the sactuary, two of them on each side of the stage, which is at the front part of the stage, would say the window on the left side (as you face the stage, I mentioned Right above) is also 12' from where we project on the wall and 8' to the left of the project.

We are small church and have a small budget, we just recieved a loan from our Assoiciation to up grade equipment and bring curb appeal to the church.

The reason I was thinking about TV's was I could put one on each side of the stage. I guess I wasn't thinkiing I could get two projectors and hang them from the ceiling, just a thought. Currently the one project is not enough for people to see with the band on stage.

One of our plans to the windows is to tint them to darken the room and allow for us to control the lighting with interior lighting. I was thinking about 80% tint on the windows to still allow some light from the outside in, but control most of the sacutary lighting from with in. The church was built in 1972 so we are dealing with a 12' High ceiling and a 30'x60' sactuary that can hold 100 people and big windows as A/C wasn't added till way after the building was built so they had big windows for cross ventilation.

Sorry for the long responce. Is there a way to show it on the wall as we are planning to repaint the room and do you think going to two project would end up being cheaper than two TV's? Also what recommendation would you give for equipment.

Thanks,
Jon
Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Church Media Regular

We run 2 65" LCDs from Sharp that are on both sides of our stage with a 3rd one at the rear of the room facing the stage for the choir feed.

We drive them from a pc in the rear using a quad headed DVI Matrox 9140 card and short dvi to hdmi cables that drive hdmi over cat6 network cables to run the 100' to the stage where cat6 to hdmi receivers pick up the signal and a 6' hdmi cable then plugs into the tvs.

We use Worship-Him! software from Freedom Software and it all works great.

Here is a link to a fuzzy camera phone pic of what it looks like.

http://forum.mtrecording.com/index.php?topic=7.0

:Ron
Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
New Church Media Member

Ron,

So you got all your equipment from Dell? Did you need some sort of Amplifier between your PC and the LCDs? And by chance could point me in the direction so I could get cost as we are looking at 42" because our ceilling isn't as high as yours. Ours are only 12'.

What you thnk about Worship Him Software?

Thanks,
Jon
Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 06:10 PM
New Church Media Member

Dave,

Our projector right now is a TPD-T45 Toshiba. And I was wrong it is a 2500. 2000:1 Contrast. Looking at both options.
  • DLP™ Display Technology
  • 2500 ANSI Lumens
  • 1024 x 768 Native Resolution
  • 4:3 Native Aspect Ratio
  • 2000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • 6.6 lbs
Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonleach View Post
Ron,

So you got all your equipment from Dell? Did you need some sort of Amplifier between your PC and the LCDs? And by chance could point me in the direction so I could get cost as we are looking at 42" because our ceiling isn't as high as yours. Ours are only 12'.

What you thnk about Worship Him Software?

Thanks,
Jon
No amp. And we just got the TVs from Dell as they had the best deal at the time.

Here is the signal path:

DVI PORT --> DVI2HDMI Cable -->HD SPLITTER --> HD2CAT6 transmitter --> Cat6 network cable to the front (100') --> CAT6toHD Receiver -- HD Cable to TV.

The HD to Cat6 Transmitter receiver pair are these:

http://www.smarthome.com/7832/HDMI-V...HDMI-HR/p.aspx

I got all the rest of the stuff including the video cards on eBay.
I just prayed a lot during the buying and got good gear and good prices.

We had the PC. Everything else including the video card minus the TVs was $2100.00. That's wall plates, cable
every little bit. The TVs were $2400.00 each last year. We also have a wireless video link to the front TVs via the
TV's VGA port driven by a wireless video box from tec AV/IT for guest presenters with their power point. That was included in the $2100.00 and accounted for $600.00 of the cost. We switch the source with the TV remote.

Any HD splitter will do. We split the HD (DVI) before we sent it far. We split it in hardware so we don't have to mess around with video card based cloning.

As for Worship-Him! Software,
We love it.

Old Saturday, September 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
New Church Media Member

Thanks for the information, let me look it over an I may possibly have further questions.

Thanks,
Jon

The Church Media Community > The Idea Factory > General Media Ministry Ideas