The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > The Idea Factory > General Media Ministry Ideas
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, August 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM
New Church Media Member

Ideas for Christmas Program

In the past, the tradition at my church has been that the kids age 5 to sixth grade were involved in the Christmas program with the kids in the sixth grade having the lead roles. This year, we have a smaller number of kids in this age group. We have more kids in the high school age group so it has been decided that the high school kids will be more involved. Due to having an older group of kids in the production and a moving into a new facility that allows us to do more in terms of sound, lights and sets, we want to do something bigger/more challenging than the usual 30-40 minute programs we have done in the past.

Any suggestions on a program?
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, August 6th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Church Media Expert

I can't be specific as to what program to do but there's a plethora of programs for youth out there if you do a simple google search for Christian Youth Christmas Dramas.

At my former church we had a really good youth drama every other year. It was too much to do every year. The years we didn't do one the choir would just do a cantata. We were a rather small traditional church but had a decent sized youth group.

High School students love getting involved with these things and it's a great instrument to disciple them if done correctly. They really draw a big crowd too. The largest crowds we had in that church were when the kids and youth would do a Christmas play. We never stuck with the traditional nativity.

One year they did a program that included some silly dancing skits. One featured an Elvis impersonator and another featured three dancing/singing Santas. That one was funny because the boys that were dressed as Santas would never have done that had they not had the costumes on. Another year that I was involved, we built a set that resembled the interior of a cabin in the woods. It had stairs, a fireplace, and a balcony. that was quite a feat but we had several retailers donate lumber and supplies and plenty fathers with carpentry skills who donated manhours building it. It was designed in sections that were broken apart and is still being utilized by that church for smaller sets and projects.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to have the right person in the directors chair. One who cares about how the kids portray their characters and can work with youth who most likely have very little acting skills. Choose a program that is fun but will share the good news of our Savior's birth. Even though you have the means and the facility to make it bigger, be careful not to go too far with complexity.

You will be more likely to be successful keeping it simple for the kids and youth then stepping it up in the lighting, effects department.
We got very creative with lighting and all. We only had general lighting in that sanctuary but would unscrew light bulbs, use utility fixtures rigged to homemade switch boxes, etc.
Old Thursday, August 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Media Wizard
Become a CMN Professional Member!

My suggestion is that a really good 30-40 minute program is better then a mediocre program of longer length.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment

The Church Media Community > The Idea Factory > General Media Ministry Ideas