The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Lighting & Special Effects > General Lighting
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Lighting Stage lighting, special effects and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Church Media Regular

Lighting the stage and decorating the wall

At the front of our worship center is this big white wall. We have the oppportunity to paint it and I am wondering if we should paint it a different color of white, paint it a dark color, or just figure out how to cover it with material or something. Granted, I know very little about this kind of thing and I would like our stage to be more of a "set" so...any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Friendship Community Church Worship Center Dover, PA.JPG‎ (762.3 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
will design for bandwidth
Become a CMN Professional Member!

I would think that a fabric treatment of some sort would help out acoustically.

Regardless of paint, fabric or wall color, I'd think about going darker. The eye is always attracted to light and with a white back wall, it's always drawing the eye away. With a dark back wall, you can direct the eye better with your lights.

Just my amateur $.02

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think

Last edited by osborn4; Monday, May 12th, 2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The Crazy Analog Guy

Absolutely, paint it dark. Black is ideal, but for some strange reason churches are afraid of black paint.

It ought to be a mid-tone at lightest, but darker is better. Our sanctuary is painted something between avocado and drab olive, and it works pretty well for us. I'd like to go for black on the stage, but for now I'll take what I can get; it's a big improvement over the beige it was before.

I'm going to try to attach a photo of our place here. We'll see how well it works...

One's a photo from Christmas, with all the flouro tubes on.
Second's capture from one of the video cameras, from Easter morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC250022.JPG‎ (1.73 MB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg easter_capture.jpg‎ (34.4 KB, 116 views)
Old Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Ne'er-do-well

Or feature it I'd think about doing something like at visualworshiper.com as discussed in this thread, basically using additional projectors as gobos to project stuff on the walls.
Old Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
seeing~hearing~believing

BLACK! Any visual set materials you might want to use for special productions or message themes will be "striking" and highly visible against black without competition from another color. It places all the focus on what's going on at the stage. Not to mention how the video projection will "snap." Perfect for video recording too, in that the background totally disappears and is a non-issue. Our student ministry stage wall is painted flat black & a startup church I helped for awhile had black fabric draped across the stage wall. Beautiful, practical, contemporary, striking!
Old Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Let there be Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnjesus View Post
At the front of our worship center is this big white wall. We have the oppportunity to paint it and I am wondering if we should paint it a different color of white, paint it a dark color, or just figure out how to cover it with material or something. Granted, I know very little about this kind of thing and I would like our stage to be more of a "set" so...any ideas?
Facinating asymetrical ceiling line. Looks like a very high peak that is off-center to house left. The eye is definitely drawn upwards above the screen and away from the platform. Is this an interim facility or is it likely to be the main center for some time?

You might consider multiple treatments. Something dark above, approximately at the top of the screen and over to the house right wall line. Then something textured below that line that would breakup the light and soften the look. Drapes would do this and also provide some acoustic benefits. If you were to hang them slightly off from the wall, you could even use them to reveal scenic elements preset behind them. Thinking about three sections: 2 panels on each side of the screen and 1 or 2 under the screen. That would provide a lot of flexibility for reveals and swagging. The platform appears to be modular units? If these were set a bit forward of the wall & drapes, you could create a trough for cables, up-lights, effects, etc.

If paint is the choice of cost, you can still think in terms of multiple colors and even get creative by extending the treatment around to the side walls. Some sweeping lines and shapes could guide the errant eye back to the action up front.

SteveV
Old Tuesday, April 8th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Let there be Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehoskins View Post
a photo of our place here. ... One's a photo from Christmas, with all the flouro tubes on.
Wayne, I'm curious about the seats facing at 90 degrees from the screens and speakers. An unsupported setup?

SteveV
Old Monday, May 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Church Media Regular

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts. The wall is going to be painted black at the end of May. I'll post a picture after it's done.
Old Tuesday, May 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Church Media Regular

If you get bored, get some par cans with gels and make some cool streaks against the back wall.
Old Monday, June 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Church Media Regular

I feel so fortunate to work at a church that is able to quickly approve ideas and then actually do them. It was only a few months ago that I started this thread with a picture of the white wall in the front of our worship area/gym and asked for ideas to improve the worship setting.

I had been thinking of a black wall for awhile but with the feedback from this group I went ahead with suggesting it and the pictures attached show the final project. The picture of the screen and the stage "sets" (Road Trip theme) really pop now in front of the black. And all of the black equipment and cords just fade into the background.

I have heard a lot of good comments about this. Thanks to all of you for your ideas. I know there are a lot of ways to go on something like this and it was good to get your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCC stage.JPG‎ (648.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg FCC stage 2.JPG‎ (600.0 KB, 127 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to richnjesus For This Useful Post:
banales83 (Tuesday, November 13th, 2012)
Old Monday, June 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
seeing~hearing~believing

Wow, a whole new world now! And it's so versatile - our youth area stretched some white triangular spandex, like from ceiling to floor, which adds a really cool graphic effect and picks up colored lighting.

Thanks for sharing the great results.
Old Sunday, June 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
New Church Media Member

I would have recommended featuring the white wall as well. It can be a blank canvas where you paint with imagery and light; and maybe down the road if you wanted to use architectural projection, there is a way to have the best of both worlds. Black is pretty forgiving, but there are ways to leave some areas black, and have others 'white' to project on.

The Church Media Community > Lighting & Special Effects > General Lighting