The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Lighting & Special Effects > General Lighting
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Lighting Stage lighting, special effects and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Jack of all trades

Stage Backdrop?

I've been asked to help with the stage background for the upcoming Youth Conference/Skillet Concert this weekend. It needs to be done cheap, look good, and not distract from the worship service/concert. What have you done in the past for good looking backgrounds/backdrops? Please include pictures if possible. We are working with lighting company who will be installing about 20 intelligent moving head lights for the conference. We want to make this a awesome expierence for everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

Two words

SPANDEX and TRUSS

This will alow you to do infinate things with lighting projection and just plain look good. It's not cheap though but then again i don't know your budget.

Another cool design i've seen is a bunch of street signs all plastered to the back wall behind the stage. The street signs were signs like "One Way", "This Way", and "Narrow Road". They even had a city limit sign that read "Heaven pop (435,316,164,134,532... really big number)". I forget what all was incorporated but their were a few Street signals also. I'm pretty sure they made all the signs cause i don't remember any reflection when the light hit them. If you want more ideas i've designed thousands of sets on the really low budget so just ask.

crt

crt
Old Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Jack of all trades

budget is really small, the street sign thing waas done last year, and it needs done by friday. All ideas will be intertained.
Old Sunday, August 6th, 2006, 09:15 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

Here is a cheap trick. Get some white cotton rope or something similar and tie off a few or several strands from one point and then stretch the others to differnt points. Now depending on what light instruments you have lying around will define the overall angle of the ropes deployment. But just take a fixture and set it at the conjoining point of the ropes and blast it down the ropes(this works really well with color changers). Anyway from a distance it gives it a sort of bending laser look.

Another fairly cheap trick is to get a couple of hoola hoops and 6 yards or so of polyester in white and sew the width ends together forming a tube and then sew the hoola hoops in to the ends. Then you take two light fixtures and place one on the ground the put the tube of polyester on top and hang it from a batton or grid or whatever you have above your stage and then mount another light inside facing down. You can color the light and again if you have color changers this works very well. The best part is mixing colors, like blue on bottom and red on top and in the middle it will be a magentatopia. One thing to keep in mind is spacing between the fixture and material. This can also be done with silk but it tends to be more expensive.

If you need more ideas just ask.

crt
Old Monday, August 7th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracetech
Two words

SPANDEX and TRUSS

This will alow you to do infinate things with lighting projection and just plain look good. It's not cheap though but then again i don't know your budget.

Another cool design i've seen is a bunch of street signs all plastered to the back wall behind the stage. The street signs were signs like "One Way", "This Way", and "Narrow Road". They even had a city limit sign that read "Heaven pop (435,316,164,134,532... really big number)".

crt

crt
Road signs: Reminds me of lete 80's to early 90's - Josh Mc Dowell videos.

Spandex and truss looks pretty cool. I saw a spandex setup lit up with black lights once... Looked pretty cool.

Will the moving lights be attached to a truss system?
Where will the moving lights go?
What is the theme to the conference?

If your movers are going to be on a long span of truss:
1 - find the distance from truss to floor (this will determine the size of the backdrop)
2 - Purchase/rent a plain black backdrop - tie it to the truss. (if the rental company will let you, if not, I am sure there is a way to hang some form of backdrop in the space)
3 - Make a nice banner with the conference name, hang that in front of the truss centered (make sure it won't be obstructed by the drum riser)
4 - add other elements to the space around the banner (truss uprights with uplights, spandex, etc)

Maybe you can purchase some flame retardant fabric strips (1.5' -2' wide strips) and hang them floor to ceiling left and right of the banner. Use simple pars to color the fabric.

Round paper lanterns look cool in front of black drops and can be bought for $2 ish online. Make your own lamp holder to put inside.

Keep it simple and cool. Don't let your background distract your audience from the foreground.
Old Tuesday, August 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Jack of all trades

The theme of the conference is
Idenity Produces Destiny:Soul Revolution

We want the stage setup to have sort of a "Matrix" type feel
We could'nt find a black backdrop so we are going to get some black plastic and hang it on the back wall(it's pretty dark there anyway).We also have a dozen or so small TV's and 2 projectors we are going to stack around the stage(The projectors will probably project onto some type of hanging material,a bedsheet or something).The tv's and projectors will swith back and forth between the logo (working on a vid where the logo is interactive, the eye looks around and winks) and the IMAG feed we are already projecting on two permant screens.
My understanding is that there will be a large light truss(the lighting companys next job is for Lynard Skynard) at the front of the stage,and there are 4 permant trusses over the stage now. I guess we need some things now to make it look more "Matrixy" (if thats a word).

Also Fridays service will be webcast if anyone wants to watch it. I'm not sure if Skillet will be webcast Sat or not yet.
Old Friday, January 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
New Church Media Member

Do you have a pic?

I was wondering if you had a pic of the first idea involving string. I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Thanks. Love the hola hoop idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracetech View Post
Here is a cheap trick. Get some white cotton rope or something similar and tie off a few or several strands from one point and then stretch the others to differnt points. Now depending on what light instruments you have lying around will define the overall angle of the ropes deployment. But just take a fixture and set it at the conjoining point of the ropes and blast it down the ropes(this works really well with color changers). Anyway from a distance it gives it a sort of bending laser look.

Another fairly cheap trick is to get a couple of hoola hoops and 6 yards or so of polyester in white and sew the width ends together forming a tube and then sew the hoola hoops in to the ends. Then you take two light fixtures and place one on the ground the put the tube of polyester on top and hang it from a batton or grid or whatever you have above your stage and then mount another light inside facing down. You can color the light and again if you have color changers this works very well. The best part is mixing colors, like blue on bottom and red on top and in the middle it will be a magentatopia. One thing to keep in mind is spacing between the fixture and material. This can also be done with silk but it tends to be more expensive.

If you need more ideas just ask.

crt
Old Saturday, January 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Business Member!
Become a CMN Professional Member!

If you have the projectors and the ceiling height you could just throw the projectors all over the back wall behind them.

Mike
Old Saturday, January 31st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Church Media Regular

Do you have anyone in your congregation that works with balloons professionally? You can build a balloon wall very inexpensively (although with a good bit of labor) that provides a very cool, and unique, backdrop.

Tim.
Old Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM
New Church Media Member

Can you post the picture of the hula hoop idea. I need to visually see it. I'm looking for an inexpensive backdrop to creat some drama for a church platform set up in a gym. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. We'll probably be making the backdrop ourselves. We have a small budget.
Old Sunday, February 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Church Media Regular

I'll return to the balloon angle (we have a balloon decor business). Get 10-12 3' diameter balloons in different colors. Inflate them with helium (you can use air and hang them) and have them float on different length strings across the back of the stage. It's easy, pretty cheap and give a dramatic look.

The same effect with smaller balloons just looks cheesy.

Tim.
Old Monday, March 2nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
New Church Media Member

Here is a pic of tubes like what Gracetech mentioned. The church provided these. I just lit them.

This is with two floor mounted PAR56 spots in each, which gave me two colors to choose from.

Next time I'll use an LED PAR in each, and maybe one from the top as well.

I think that if the tubes were stretched tight to form a straight column, they might have looked better. These looked like big condoms.

That's a set of floor-mounted ACLs in the center lighting up the backdrop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00080-small.jpg‎ (148.3 KB, 194 views)

The Church Media Community > Lighting & Special Effects > General Lighting