The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Discussion Media ministry, teambuilding and more.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 07:30 AM
fmckinnon
Spectator

Dress Code "Uniforms" for Worship Team

Hey Ya'll -

For those of you who use the "worship team" type format in your corporate services - do any of you have a "unifom" type dress code. I don't mean a general dress code - but a specific one where all members dress the same. (ie. all members wear black pants, white shirts, etc)

We're thinking of doing this - not that we have trouble w/ anyone wearing inappropirate clothing - but as a way to just display unity in the team, and to better present ourselves (both on and off the platform) as leaders.

Just wondering if anyone is doing this - choirs usually wear "robes" - I watch some Hillsongs videos, etc - they aren't all dressed exactly the same, but the color scheme and overall "look" is very matched ...

Whatcha think?

For the Kingdom,
Fred
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Lovin' and Livin' Jesus!

We do robes 2 weeks out of the month. All black one week, and multicolor shirts one week. It mixes things up, and keeps it from getting boring.
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 07:39 AM
CMN MediaWallah
Become a CMN Professional Member!

It all goes back to your goals, to what kind of atmosphere you're trying to create in the worship service.

In my current rough-urban-neighborhood church, what you're suggesting would be way too 'yuppie/suburban/up-with people'. In my prior upper-middle-class-suburban church, what you're suggesting would have been a bare minimum to avoid appearing 'sloppy/uncaring/unprofessional'.
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM
The Big Diehl

We have a general dress code... but no uniformity stuff. I have thought of it.

Check out what New Life Church does in Colorado Springs: http://www.newlifeworship.com/worshi...ship.DressCode
if that doesn't work, just give www.newlifeworship.com a try. If you look around this website (which I think is really great) I think you will see some pictures that might be helpful to you.
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 10:56 AM
imperialspatula
Spectator

Our worship leaders let the vocalists chose their attire. After practice, they usually pick two or three colors and ask everyone to wear something with at least two colors.

The time of year often determines colors/wardrobe that our team wears. Really, it takes a creative eye and good taste. At times, the worship team's attire will fit into the message.

For 2-3 months, I jokingly told everyone to wear their "work shirts" on Sunday. Sure enough, one Sunday's message allowed for that and everyone wore their work shirts/uniforms.

If you like, I can make a list of attire our worship team has used on Sunday.
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Groovin' for Heaven

THe main rule for our ensemble is no blue jeans, and women have to dress modestly.
We try to stay away from tennis shoes, even though I wear black ones every day.
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 02:22 PM
CMN MediaWallah
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Finley
THe main rule for our ensemble is no blue jeans, and women have to dress modestly.
We're a little more liberal (we allow blue jeans)
but also a little more conservative (we expect men to dress modestly too).
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Worship&Media Coordinator

The first Sunday of the month has been dubbed "Aloha" Sunday (our acoustic guitarist is from Hawaii) so we all wear something "tropical/Hawaiian" as a way of saying goodbye to the old month and hello to the new.... He wears Hawaiian every Sunday.
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM
musiccat
Spectator

We don't have a dress code. It wouldn't wear well in our church ... too preppy. However, I have requested that no "logo" shirts be worn if you're on worship team. We're not advertising, we're worshipping.

My previous church required skirts below the knees and loose fitting tops for women. Men, as always, had much fewer requirements ... growl ...
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Will design for lattes

The only issue we've had with dress was a young drummer who I had to ask to remove his ball cap (a few times).

We don't have a dress code, since it hasn't really been an issue. Our contemporary service is called the "Blue Jean" service, although the worship team members rarely wear blue jeans.

The closest we have to a dress code is on the rare occasion where I'd suggest a "Hawaiian Shirt Sunday". If the team agreed, we'd ask them to wear Hawaiian shirts.

We do have a disparity of team members from teens to 50's. Some are more comfortable dressed up a bit. I don't see us going to a 'uniform' any time soon. Perhaps, if the tech team gets a little larger, we may suggest something for them.

Bill
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 03:40 PM
used to be km*mcrc

We fall into the modesty as a rule situation but no real set guidelines. I have one ladies worship team that coordinates outfits when they're on but that's about it.

I think it really has to do with the community/local culture that you're in. I don't think you'd want to dress too far up or too far down compared with the average church attendee.

I can certainly see situations where coordinating colours would add to a more "polished" look but, again, do what fits best in your own local ministry situation.

ps - if I had my own choice, I'd tell all my vocalists and instrumentalists to where black all the time, but that's just me
Old Tuesday, January 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Matt Riley
Spectator

Yeah, I know that i'm digressing a little bit

As a soundguy, certain musicians that i know still wind me up about how i should be wearing jeans, a black t-shirt tucked in and a mobile and leatherman and maglite, all on belt holsters. Oh yeah...and how i should have an unhealthy obsession with trains and other geeky things like the intricacies of cat 6 vs cat 5e. Just for the record, i do not dress like this or hold interests in any of these things, nor will i ever do so. I implore everyone as sound guys to prove that we do have some vague sense of taste, and boycott the producers of these useful, but slightly unfashionable products.

Oh yeah... I found out how you graduate to being a systems consultant - do everything that you normally do as a sound guy, but wearing a suit and using a fancy laptop!

Only joking,

Matt

The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion