The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Discussion Media ministry, teambuilding and more.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, May 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM
New Church Media Member

CTS Certification

Hello does anyone have thier CTS certification with Infocomm?
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, May 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

I've been interested in it, but can't afford both the trip/expenses of InfoComm with the additional training that seems only available at InfoComm
Old Thursday, May 20th, 2010, 10:52 AM
New Church Media Member

my company at my new job as a FT Audio Visual tech at a large corporation is paying for my classes and test. I just need to study and pass the test.
Old Thursday, May 20th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Church Media Mentor

I'm self employed, the only employee, don't have the HR resources of the big guys.
Old Friday, May 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM
Church Media Regular

I have not finished the full CTS certification but it is very comprehensive. I understand that they are working on a new certification that is not as intense but still very challenging.
Old Friday, May 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
Knowledge Seeker

I got mine thru my job. I actually let it expire by accident. The new testing standards make you go to a Silvan or other testing center now.
Old Friday, May 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
Church Media Regular

Nevmoor you can try to reinstate it I know a couple of people that have done that....
FYI the new testing standards are very strict you cannot bring anything in with you including cell phones and calculators. So be prepared!
Old Friday, May 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
Church Media Regular

Ahem...

Well yes, as a matter of fact I do have my CTS.
(actually my CTS-D which is the 'design' specialty).

I actually also participate at other levels related to the CTS-General examinations.

I would suggest checking out the CTS resources on Infocomm's website. There you will find a lot of information about how you can prepare for the CTS exam. HERE is a link to the CTS General certification handbook.

You'll see that there are a lot of options for preparing for the exam... and taking Infocomm courses is not the only option. In fact there is a fair bit of information available for FREE (yes, free!) on the Infocomm site... including a number of video on demand segments that address a variety of topics. You will find these in the Education section of the site. HERE is another link.

You can study other materials that would be applicable for the exam... info on project management (look at Project Management Institute) for instance or Phil Giddings book "Audio Systems Design and Installation" are some of the primary resources used as references. The free tutorials on the Infocomm site would be useful as well.

Incidentally, Associate membership in Infocomm is $175 per year... but in return for this you get membership benefits (including $275 Edubucks which can be used as payment toward Infocomm online courses) and you also receive a lot of information about the AV industry. So if you are planning on taking any of the Infocomm courses it only makes sense to become an Associate Member (at least).

There is also an option for Student Membership and the cost is only $25 and you get $100 in Edubucks!

If you are interested in taking the CTS-General exam you have several options for study... and I can tell you that if you look for information on online courses on the Infocomm site you will find a course called "Quickstart to the AV Industry" which is a free introductory course.

There is another option for CTS-General training... and that is to take the CTS Prep Online course. ($500 plus shipping - minus $250 Edubucks discount for members).

Hope this info helps.
Old Saturday, May 22nd, 2010, 06:23 AM
Church Media Regular

thanks so much for the info. I will be getting started soon with the classes. It's really cool that the company is paying for all the classes and the test. I will look at all the info you suggested.

Thanks Again
Old Saturday, February 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM
New Church Media Member

Brent, I too found your info to be very helpful. I have worked in he Broadcast industry for years and with my local church ministry. Now I have started a small A/V company. It seems, however, that InfoComm holds this end of the media field hostage much like SBE does the professional Broadcasting Technicians. It was so much simpler when the FCC was the prevailing authority on these matters. May God bless you in your studies AMD250. I am preparing for both the SBE and CTS tests and with no employer picking up the tab, as I have started my own A/V business. But there is always that professional development write off at the end of the year.
Old Saturday, February 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Church Media Mentor

I just earned 4 CTS credits this week at a RevoLabs training in Novi.
C.
Old Wednesday, February 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Church Media Mentor

The InfoComm certifications actually underwent a major change when they went for ANSI certification. Up to that point the certifications exams were very much based on the InfoComm curriculum and courses. Even some of the creators of the curriculum and exam at that time admitted to me that regardless of experience or knowledge one almost had to take the courses in order to know the answers that were wanted for the exam

When the ANSI aspect was introduced that had to change. For one thing, the tests had to be administered and reviewed by an independent party rather than by InfoComm. For another, the exams had to be based on a 'body of knowledge' and could not be based solely on one specific curriculum.

From the educational perspective, this has resulted in going from the InfoComm classes' curriculum exclusively defining the exam to the exam greatly defining the curriculum.

I do wish credits could carry over to some degree, the last time I came up for recertification I had over four times the necessary credits for renewal of my CTS certification, this time I may struggle to have enough credits due to work, financial and family health conflicts that limited my taking advantage of some opportunities.

Personally, my perspective is that preparing for the CTS, CTS-D and CTS-I exams can be a great educational experience and significant potential value for those new to the industry or the related roles. However, I have also found the certifications to represent minimal value for experienced professionals and clients.

The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion