The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Discussion Media ministry, teambuilding and more.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
New Church Media Member

Veterans Day ideas

Since Veterans day is Nov. 11 we want to somehow honor our veterans and recognize them during worship. However, we do not want to turn it into a "God and Country" celebration. We simply want to remember the sacrifrices the men and women of our armed forces have made while maintaining the real reason we have gathered - to worship an awesome God!

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

Ken
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
...A vergence, you say?

We've done things that would be considered pretty elaborate, like a presentation of colors... but to tone things down, I suggest something as simple as an introduction of what day it is, then a moment of silence, followed by a prayer. Sometimes (like in this circumstance), less can be much, much more. I, as a veteran, would prefer this so much more than a video or song, etc.
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Media Mogul

The song I always look for when armed services are involved is the awesome "Letters from War" by Mark Schultz. Its available as a creative commons release here:

http://downloads.wordrecords.com/

Note that it was made with the co-operation of the army, due to its subject matter, and was used as a part of the campaign known as "Be Safe-Make It Home".

I believe it is also available on his 2 disc release called "LIVE...A Night of Stories & Songs". That's worth getting in its own right-he has some excellent videos on there, though much of it deals with a visit he made to an army camp, and telling the back story behind the song (based on his own family). There's a much higher quality copy of the video on the dvd, but I'm not sure its got the same releases available for it.
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Tim Eason - ChurchMedia.net Community Founder 1999-2008
Spectator

Email RE: Veterans Day ideas

Quote:
available as a creative commons release
Cool! I’d like to use that video and/or music. Where exactly does it say it’s CC?
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Media Mogul

http://www.archive.org/details/besafe_psa

is one place. I think its funny that his own record label doesn't disclose that, but, there it is.

It was referenced here as well, in this thread:

http://www.churchmedia.net/movie-cli...orial-day.html

It was made in conjunction with the US Army.
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Church Media Expert

Set a table for the "Missing Man". Then on that table put an explanation of what each thing on the table symbolizes.

Very simple, yet very moving.
----------------------------------------------------

The table is round -- to show our everlasting concern for our missing men.

The tablecloth is white -- symbolizing the purity of their motives when answering the call to duty.

The single red rose, displayed in a vase, reminds us of the life of each of the missing, and the[ir] loved ones and friends of these Americans who keep the faith, awaiting answers.

The vase is tied with a red (or yellow) ribbon, symbol of our continued determination to account for our missing.

A slice of lemon on the bread plate is to remind us of the bitter fate of those captured and missing in a foreign land.

A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears endured by those missing and their families who seek answers.

The Bible represents the strength gained through faith to sustain those lost from our country, founded as one nation under God.

The glass is inverted -- to symbolize their inability to share today's toast.

The chair is empty -- they are missing.
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Church Media Cowboy

We live in a very military minded community (FE Warren AFB is here) and in the past we have done something as simple as asking the veterans and active military to stand and then praying for them. One year we did a video list of the veterans and active duty members, during a moment of silence, some did not want the recognition at all and one year we just had a simple slide of thanks, inserted at an appropriate time.
Old Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Wearer of Many Hats

We tend to do the moment of silence, but For Memorial Day this past year, we decided to play taps on a trumpet. We tested it out in a few locations and found that the coolest sounding location was inside the production room with me with the doors barely cracked. A lot of people told me that the sound almost muted taps was pretty moving.
Old Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007, 12:41 AM
Church Media Expert

I had a discussion with our MoM tonight about Veteran's Day. I suggested a Missing Man table to be set up in the chancel area so that everyone would see it, or a reserved pew up front for all to see.

One thing to keep in mind is that Vets Day is about honoring all the living veterans, no matter where they are, while Memorial Day is about honoring all those no longer with us. Thus taps isn't appropriate (IMHO) for this honoring.

It will be interesting to see what we actually do.
Old Tuesday, October 16th, 2007, 02:02 PM
New Church Media Member

Thanks for all the ideas... I've had to remind people that Veteran's Day is about honoring those living, especially the person who asked me on Memorial Day why we weren't remembering our Veterans (referring to her husband who is still alive.)

One thought we've come up with is to possibly put together an video of interviews with a few of our Vets with the focus on "what it was that got you through the hard times and traumatic experiences." Our guess (I'm not a Vet) is that it would have to do with the bond these men (and women) created with one another as well as their faith.

We really want to focus on the sacrifice our veterans made... Things like Honor, Country, and Freedom are noble causes and should be protected (and fought for) but when you really dig down deep into the reasons behind what many of our Vets achieved and experienced I think you'll hear things like brotherhood and simply trying to survive. I may be wrong... it's just my feeling.
Old Tuesday, October 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Church Media Regular

[quote=kbob;198991]The song I always look for when armed services are involved is the awesome "Letters from War" by Mark Schultz. Its available as a creative commons release here:

http://downloads.wordrecords.com/

This is absolutely beautiful! I've downloaded it from the site...am I free to use it as such in church? Our community's national guard unit has been deployed and I know this will be very meaningful to our church members. Thank you so much.
Old Tuesday, October 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Media Mogul

from here, as part of the be safe PSA, its under the creative commons no derivations license-see here:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/

and here:

http://www.archive.org/details/besafe_psa

go for the 12 meg wmv download-that's the highest quality that specifically mentions the cc licensing.

The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion