The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Discussion Media ministry, teambuilding and more.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, September 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Media Ministry Contract?

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you guys use a contract for your media team members.

If so... Could I see them? I am thinking of implimenting for my team.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Church Media Expert

IMHO..... there are two kinds of contracts for what you want to do.
The first is a work contract for paid positions. This contract would spell out exactly what is expected from the person with respect to what they would be paid for.

The second is a commitment contract for unpaid positions. This would spell out what the person is getting into and their commitment to enhancing the worship experience of the congregation. This would be something along the lines of a dedicated heart, a striving to do their best, a willingness to serve (with little or no recognition) and the willingness to shrug off complaints as just words and not a personal attack. This is the hardest thing to do.
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Church Media Regular

FWIW, and IMHO only, I think such contracts are offensive**. If I were to be handed one of the contracts I've seen, and requested to sign it, I'd be insulted. I'm either an adult Christian, or I'm not. If I'm not, or not behaving like it, then my Christian friends need to approach me in a Biblical manner and address it. No "contract" is going to enforce that. But again, that's just my opinion.

So what situation are you planning to address with your contract? I'm guessing there's a specific reason you're thinking about it.

Blessings, and just wondering,

Roger

**Disclaimers: Your results may vary, some restrictions apply, batteries not included, don't try this at home.
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Media Mogul

a pledge might be a better word for it, along with a vision statement and goals.
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Tim Eason - ChurchMedia.net Community Founder 1999-2008
Spectator

I agree -- "contract" is too strong. "Commitment" is a nice, non-threatening Christian term.
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Church Media Regular

I agree with the idea of not calling it a contract. Both pledge and commitment are nice-sounding words without the negative connotations associated with "contract".

And in fact, at our church we put a lot of effort into developing a mission statement, goals, and overall responsibilities of our media ministry team. As leader it's my job to make sure everyone understands the responsibilities and shares the vision as much as possible.

But we would never think of doing any kind of written contract, pledge or commitment. One of my jobs as a leader is to see to it that our team members are fully on board, and address the issue if they're not.

A possibly revealing question: Does your church do things like this with other volunteers, like choir and committee members, etc.? If not, it seems to me that it's probably not appropriate to expect it from your media ministry team - why should they be held any more or any less accountable than other volunteers?

Blessings again,

Roger
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I guess I should have been more clear. The contract will outline the purpose of our media ministry along with the mission of the church.
It will discuss why we do media in church and what is expected as being part of a team/leadership role ect...

What about the word "Covenant" Like "Media Ministry Covenant"
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Media Mogul

yes, something like that...
Old Wednesday, September 26th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Church Media Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversecity106 View Post
I guess I should have been more clear. The contract will outline the purpose of our media ministry along with the mission of the church.
It will discuss why we do media in church and what is expected as being part of a team/leadership role ect...

What about the word "Covenant" Like "Media Ministry Covenant"
Nope.. not for me.

I prefer, and I think that what you are really looking for is, "a mission statement, goals, and overall responsibilities". Basically a job description.

You say: "It will discuss why we do media in church and what is expected as being part of a team/leadership role ect..." and that is a job description/mission statement not a covenant. A covenant is still a commitment and that is not what you are saying.
Old Saturday, September 29th, 2007, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the help...I think.

The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion