The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Discussion Media ministry, teambuilding and more.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, March 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
shutterbug

Sunrise service Ideas?

I found out this evening that one of the committees I'm part of is responsible for planning the Easter sunrise service. In the past I believe it involved some scripture reading, some singing, a quick drama or skit, and then, in true church fashion everywhere, a breakfast!

How is your sunrise service structured? We would like to break out of the mold a bit.

Basic info...we expect between 70 and 100 folks to come out. It will be outside, weather permitting. We'll have a portable sound system available, and that's about it.

Ideas?

thanks,
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Friday, March 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Church Media Mentor

We just do a lighter/less formal service. Usually we do it in a smaller chapel or in our huge narthex. More emphasis on music, less on "talking" in general. Still a (shorter) sermon or meditation.
Old Friday, March 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Media Mogul

Something done around here (but not by our church-yet)

is a long form testamony by someone with a lot to be thankful for. It helps if they've already done this a few times, but a heartfelt testamony can be more moving than a polished sermon. This is what I was, this is what happened. I cried out, and this is what He's done...
Old Friday, March 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
will design for bandwidth
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Off Topic, but here goes.

I had a major disagreement with my bell choir director when we were asked to do sunrise service at 8 am. This was back when 8 am was way early for me on the weekend.

I argued that since we're not having it at sunrise, why not have it at 10 or 10:30.

I lost that arguement. I still don't see what the point was.

Sunrise, I can see. picking a time that's closer to sunrise, but still well after the sun has risen seems to be missing the point.

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Old Friday, March 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Church Media Regular

Sunrise at the lake

Well we're lucky to have access to a retreat center that is in our area and belongs to our conference and is on a lake. So we gather while it's still dark, people bring their lawn chairs or folding chairs. The path down to the lake is lit with luminaries (a very pretty effect), and if it's a cool morning, we're in north FL so we sometimes have those, then a fire is built in the fire pit. There is music, normally no need for amps, it's just some guys on guitars. They pass out a bulletin with the songs and order of worship included so no one has to try and lug hymnals around. For the last couple of years, one of the youth has given a short testimony. This can be very powerful and helps involve all ages in the service. We always offer communion. Then more singing. We try to time it so that about the time we're offering communion the sun is actually coming up. So yes, that means we start kind of early. But to be receiving communion just as the sun is rising on Easter morning is an amazing feeling.

Hope that helps some.
Teresa
Old Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 08:07 AM
shutterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob
is a long form testamony by someone with a lot to be thankful for. It helps if they've already done this a few times, but a heartfelt testamony can be more moving than a polished sermon. This is what I was, this is what happened. I cried out, and this is what He's done...
This appeals to me. It's different, it's simple, and still has the ability to leave an impact. In the outdoor setting we have it needs to be simple and streamlined. I'll see if we can give this a whirl.

Thanks!

The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > General Discussion