The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Computers > General Computer and Software Discussions
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, October 6th, 2011, 04:34 PM
New Church Media Member

Staff computer replacements

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering what your procedures/policy’s are for staff computers and replacements? How often do you replace? Are they allowed to pick mac/pc? Do you have an anual budget? Server replacements? Laptops vs Desktops?Do you have anything actually written out?

Oh, and I'll mention that the majority of our computers right now are p4's from 2002 running xp and office 2003. We have a couple servers running small business for exchange/domain/remote desktop terminal.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, October 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

We just recently kicked in our Policies for IT. Procedures are still coming along.

As far as how often to change out a users computer will dependent on the needs of the user. Since i came on staff a year and a half ago i have slowly removed almost all P4 and celeron boxes. I have been going to middle of the row dual cores with 4 gig of ram and the staff has been ecstatic.

If you want a Apple product on our network you will have to come up with a really good reason. No one has so far. We currently have 3 Macs from my A/V side of things predecessor but they don't do much. Macs can be a pain to play nice on a domain especially if you like to keep your OSX up to date.

Always request a budget. Things don't run unless you keep putting money into them and it only makes sense to budget for it. Plan for a life expectancy of 5-7 years on a windows box. You'd be surprised at what a P4 can do with enough ram in it. That says alot since i didn't even like P4 chips.

Servers should last as long as your computers. This is a big chunk of money so budget for it.

Laptops need to be requested and approved. Boxes are standard unless the user has enough reason to justify a laptop. We run 6 laptops on our network out of 50 computers.

Some of this is written in policy other bits are for interdepartmental eyes only.

What version of SBS are you running. Older versions of SBS couldn't run multiple servers. I believe storage servers were the only exception. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

My normal white box user computer runs $350 with a dual core, 4 gigs of ram, and solid state drive. This doesn't include software. One should always buy software in bulk with non-profit discount, you'd be surprised at the cost savings.

crt
Mustangnaz (Monday, October 10th, 2011)
Old Thursday, October 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

fwiw, at the present, my Apple's are the only thing running happily at church and at work.
Old Friday, October 7th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Church Media Regular

Take advantage of charity license programs to purchase software from Microsoft. Can save a lot of money.
Old Friday, October 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
New Church Media Member
Become a CMN Professional Member!

I have posted a link to Microsoft Approved Resellers.
Microsoft Open License for Charities Resellers – United States
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/l...resellers.aspx

The Church Media Community > Computers > General Computer and Software Discussions