The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Audio All things about sound are discussed here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, January 26th, 2012, 02:47 PM
New Church Media Member
Become a CMN Professional Member!

The only control available there is to turn the AES/Coaxial 2 tr in on or off. Not sure how to use those connections really.

When I set the D8 to be the master clock I get a sync error on the console for that slot.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, January 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM
New Church Media Member

yes if you do not switch the clock source for the dm1K you will recieve an error

if you set the console to sync off of slot x input 1/2 or 9/10 which ever is containting the D8 set to master and the taking the word clock out of the DM1K to the LT units which will also look at the D8 thru the Console for clock

here is a link to the manuals from Yamaha (PDF Page 47)
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...arch_type=full
Old Thursday, January 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM
New Church Media Member

i put it to all the manuals for the DM1K because i do not know what version you have
Old Thursday, January 26th, 2012, 04:05 PM
New Church Media Member

It seems it will only take word clock in through the coaxial or xlr. There are no other controls in the word clock menu.
Old Thursday, January 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM
New Church Media Member

I finally found a contact number for yamaha support, after speaking over an hour with a tech, though we didn't find a solution at least I did learn a few things about the console.

This is what we found.

Setting the mixer to slave and the D8 as master eliminated the pops (having no training on the board I didn't know the mechanics of how to set that before). However due to the D8 design there is no way to run multiple D8's in a system in this setup.

Various word clock tests on the console also indicated that the word clock on the console was fine, but the tech was still suspicious of the console word clock generator anyway.

The only next step we could decide on is to find an external word clock generator and see what that does. I will try to find one to rent.
Old Saturday, January 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM
New Church Media Member

New update and question:

I mixed a concert tonight with the firestudio lightpipe recorder as the word clock master. There were no pops, but the output levels from all 3 of the digimax lt units were very low. For example, speaking into a mic myself indicated -24db on the meter bridge. Changing the master clock back to the console and speaking the same way into the mic indicated -9 on th meter bridge.

Why would changing clock sources affect the output levels of the pre's so drastically?
Old Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Church Media Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by unc417 View Post
I finally found a contact number for yamaha support, after speaking over an hour with a tech, though we didn't find a solution at least I did learn a few things about the console.

This is what we found.

Setting the mixer to slave and the D8 as master eliminated the pops (having no training on the board I didn't know the mechanics of how to set that before). However due to the D8 design there is no way to run multiple D8's in a system in this setup.

Various word clock tests on the console also indicated that the word clock on the console was fine, but the tech was still suspicious of the console word clock generator anyway.

The only next step we could decide on is to find an external word clock generator and see what that does. I will try to find one to rent.
We, fortunately have analog everything, but I spent over 20 years working with computers, and learned one thing, failure commonality seems to go in a certain order:

Incompatibilities, connections, settings, software, hardware in that order.

Most common is that piece X was never meant to work with piece Y, and when to install piece Y behind piece X it chokes and dies. You need to do some surfing, put both model numbers into Google and see what pops up. Actually the time to do this is before you put budget into piece Y.

Connections means cables, cables are flexible, they tend to get pulled, twisted, bent, and the wiring in digital cables is often very fine, due to the low voltage and currents used, 24 gauge is considered massive in comparison. These fine cables can easily break, and if you have 8 bits across and lose one, you don't get a hum, hiss or static you get garbage. Nice thing is, the cable is the easiest and cheapest to replace. So, get a few spares, and swap out each cable along the chain, in turn, 50% of the time, it's a cable that's causing the problem.

Next write down all your settings, reset the unit to factory specs, and restore your settings one by one. Until you either get them all back to what they should be, or it derails. If it goes wonky with the factory specs, restore all your settings, and move on.
You should keep a log book, when you make a change in a setting you enter it in the log, for example 12/01/31 changed Threshold on XP234 from 14 to 15. If it then quits working the next Sunday, the first thing you do, is change it back.

Often equipment has a special software called firmware, look up each unit and see if you have the latest revision installed, from the time a unit leaves the factory in Asia until you set it up, 6 months to a year has gone by, recent models can go through 4-5 revisions in that time.

If you still have a problem, then the unit may need servicing, hardware failures are rare, but they do occur.

The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio