The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Audio All things about sound are discussed here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
New Church Media Member

Hybrid v-drums

Looking for some advice from anyone who has used a v-drum kit with real cymbals.
We are contemplating heading that direction. I like the idea, but have one reservation. What's the best way to keep the thump and whack from the rest of the triggers out of the mics for the cymbals?
Normally I would just use a pair of overheads for all of the cymbals, but I'm afraid I will pick up to much sound from the mesh heads.
Would it be better to try to close-mic the cymbals?

Just looking for some practical solutions.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Church Media Expert

Does not work well at all. Cymbals still end up being the loudest thing on stage, just as they would be with an acoustic kit (though with some players the snare is the loudest thing). Oddly, I've yet to hear any electronic drums that I like, but hats and cymbals are OK.
Old Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
New Church Media Member

We have this kit. Most of the sounds are OK, but the cymbals are just terrible. No presence, and absolutely no feel for the drummer.

I'm not worried about stage volume. We've gone back and forth between acoustic and v-drums. We are a portable church and don't really want the wear and tear on the acoustic set, but would like the real cymbals. We're gonna give it a try in the next few weeks, but I just don't know for sure how to go about it.

I suppose that's what sound checks are for. I may start with overheads like usual and see how they sound. See if I can clean them up by judicious use of a gate. We can always go back to the v-kit if necessary.
Old Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Are you able to assign sounds to different outputs on the V-Drum brains, or are you stuck with a stereo pair? It's been 5-7 years since I worked with V-Drums, but when recording, I was able to get a decent sound by sending each individual instrument to it's own output. Don't remember which Roland set we were using at the time.
C.
Old Sunday, May 22nd, 2011, 11:57 PM
Church Media Regular

I would try close miking the cymbals and hat. Maybe from below the cymbals and upwards. The normal overhead setup with 2 mikes are also giving you an ambient sound from the hole set, but you dont need that with V-drums.
Interesting to hear your result after trying it.
Old Monday, May 23rd, 2011, 08:10 PM
New Church Media Member

Yes, I can send up to eight channels out of the head unit. In the past we have run our outputs as follows. Kick, snare, toms, HH/ride, crashes.
If we go ahead with the trial I would probably try Kick, snare, toms, HH, ride, crash, splash.

We're trying for a bit of a compromise here. The drummers for the most part can handle everything about the v-drums except for the cymbals.

The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio