The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Audio All things about sound are discussed here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Monday, November 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Church Media Regular

Cheapest way to multitrack record with LS9-32?

Hi, I want to find out what is the cheapest way I can multitrack record our worship band. I'm doing it just so we can our have worship music on our website for people to be able to listen and download. We have an LS9-32. Is the solution getting one of those MY16 expansion cards? We have a macbook pro. Would I just need some kind of software to record? Can Audacity do it?
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM
Church Media Expert

We have been trying to do what you have for a while! We have an LS9-32 and have added a MY16 expansion card to it to interface to a PC running Audacity via an 8c hannel lightpipe. The problem is that Audacity has to ship without the Steinberg ASIO package so we can only record using two channel stereo.

You can download the Steinberg ASIO SDK for free from their website (after registering) and you can download the Audacity beta source code from sourceforge and rebuild it to use the ASIO driver. I have been led to believe you can then do multichannel, low latency recording.

We shall be doing the software rebuild in a week or so - so watch this space (I will post our experience). After you have done the rebuild, you can only use it for yourself. You are not allowed to post it back on the internet or give it to anyone (according to the terms of the Steinberg ASIO SDK licence).

Dave
Old Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
I'm doing it just so we can our have worship music on our website for people to be able to listen and download.
Make sure you cover the copyright licensing on that... you need a special license to do that... See this
Old Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Church Media Regular

The Yamaha MY16AT retails for about US$470. The M-Audio Profire Lightbridge for another US$400. So it's close to US$900? I'm guessing that's a little high?

Or since there are 16 outs on the LS9-32, maybe you could send 10 of the outputs to the Presonus Firestudio Project for about US$500.

Check out this thread.
LS9 Expansion and Recording Questions

Last edited by sien; Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Church Media Regular

Look at Reaper instead of Audacity. It's very cheap for non-profits and does multi-track VERY well.
http://www.reaper.fm/
The Following User Says Thank You to bladeaudio For This Useful Post:
daver2 (Friday, November 6th, 2009)
Old Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Church Media Mentor

I second the publishing/royalties point!

The thing to consider is the cost per view/listen. How many people visit the site? Do they REALLY want this? Not many (aside from the band members and their families) will listen religiously to something they can hear every Sunday. You could run the risk of over-exposing the band. If you do go through with this, I recommend a medley. Do a mix of multiple songs so that people can get a taste.

Most large churches with nice budgets and studios to record know that they do not really have the people's ear for what you seek to do. Most don't do it. It gos beyond the paying royalties for each play, paying for the accounting, blah, blah, blah....it just isn't worth it most of the time. It is the text and spoken word (in audio or video) of the pastors that have the most impact, and this is what successful churches highlight.

Nowadays with most of the daytime surfing occurring on cell phones, your website must be friendly. Which leads to the next point. The next thing to consider is the average listener's computer system. In order to make it accessible for all in a timely manner, that doesn't bog down their resources, you will need to consider an efficient and/or lower-bit rate delivery method. With this in mind, you shouldn't be too concerned about producing record quality stuff. A board mix recording session could be just as effective.

My thoughts are my thoughts based on my experiences working for churches large and small who have done all of this. Unless your site has lots of traffic, you will be putting in a bunch of time and resources for the heck of it.
Old Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Church Media Regular

Taped based ADAT machines are relatively cheap nowadays. Granted they wouldn't inegrate directly with the console but that might be something worth considering if price is a determining factor.

But I can understand the OP's sentiment regarding the need to multitrack. Even if its not going to be high fidelity stereo on the front end, most times people want to get a multi-track so that the volume levels can be readjusted after the fact.
Old Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

I second Reaper for multi-tracking.

Add a My-16AT and a adat optical card or the M-Audio interface like Sien pointed out and you would be good to go.

I use my Motu 2408Mk2 to record from different LS9's and it works well. You can find some used Motu gear with Adat optical connections for cheap if you look around.

crt
Old Wednesday, November 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
New Church Media Member

Are the mLan cards still available? I've heard that was a pretty good way to multi-track from a Yamaha digital console. But I also thought I heard that the mLan cards were no longer supported.

Anybody care to confirm or deny?
Old Wednesday, November 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

The mLan is no longer supported and it was never supported on the LS9.

crt
Old Friday, November 6th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Church Media Expert

Stephen,

Thanks for the pointer to reaper. Downloaded the evaluation last night and it worked with multitracking right out of the box!

We have an MY16-AT card in the LS9 and a Marian Marc A card in the PC. The PC card is fairly cheap and cheerful. It does work but it I have found some reliability issues with it and will probably change it in the future. The biggest niggle is ensuring the LS9 is up and running before booting the PC otherwise it doesn't synch properly.

I am 'on the desk' on Sunday so I will give reaper a run instead of Audacity.

Cheers,

Dave
Old Friday, November 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM
New Church Media Member

Hey Mike,

You're on the right track with the mLAN. 16 channels of audio across your firewire should get you going.

Software-wise, you may need to spend a few bucks. But you get what you pay for.

With regard to the above comments about copyrights, if you possess a CCLI license, you are permitted to record AND distribute copies of songs recorded in the course of a normal service (read: live recording). However, there is a cap on how much you can charge, and how many copies you are allowed to make (based on your church size) and the assumption is that the recording is NOT for commercial purposes. If you're recording for fun and profit (hehe), visit HarryFox.com for all your mechanical licensing needs.

Blessings to ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeygifford For This Useful Post:
tpichler (Friday, November 13th, 2009)

The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio