The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Audio All things about sound are discussed here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
New Church Media Member

How to set vocal EQ

Hi, Im new to this forum and I want to first say that Im beginning to learn about how this chruch media works.
I will probably ask more questions later on but my qusetion for now is
how do you set up vocal eq?

we have about 4 vocals and one lead vocal.
I want the lead vocal to stick out.. but all I can do right now is to control the volume level to do it. . I heard that this could be done through setting the EQ at the right level..
I've been searching about this and I got confused.. I am just using the channel strip EQ on my mixer and it has four knobs: HI 12k, mid, FREQ, and LOW 80Hz.

Can someone lead me how to set this correctly?
If you have a sample picture of how your mixer is set, it would be really helpful too.

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
The Crazy Analog Guy

Hi, welcome. The short answer is "It depends". About the only universal rule is that you do want to high-pass it if you can, cutting out as much of that bottom-end rumble and mud as you can. So you'd take your Low knob and turn it to the left a fair ways. Also, if you have a "Low Cut" button or some such, punch that in too.

Your Mid and Freq knobs work together to make a "sweepable mid", where you can adjust where the filter is centered. To set this, especially with only one, you have to decide whether you need to boost something or cut something, and what that something is. Usually you need to cut something.

Running up 12K will add some air, but there's not that much in the human voice up that high. I'd probably leave it flat or turn it up maybe 3-6 dB.

I attached a picture of my vocal EQ sections. Lead vocal on the left, then three backing vocals. Vocal 2 I've intentionally dumped some 2K. Vocal 1 has another big cut on bottom to clean it up -- stupid proximity effect. Maybe it's useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5030222.JPG‎ (1.64 MB, 65 views)
Old Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
New Church Media Member

Welcome aboard!

What mic are you using, what mixer are you using? Certain mics have different
responses. (they pick up certain frequencies better than others) The mixer brand/model will let us know just what type(s) of EQ you have available to use.
Old Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
New Church Media Member

hey thanks.
We are using Mackie 24 VLZ pro..
mic.. we use alot of different mics.. mostly shure ones..
Old Monday, May 4th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Church Media Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehoskins View Post
I attached a picture of my vocal EQ sections. Lead vocal on the left, then three backing vocals.
Wayne,

So you have all of your vocals with LF set at -15db. Is that just an automatic cut for you on vocals?
Old Monday, May 4th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

I think Wayne's EQ is an example of the "depends" variable.
Another "depends" variable is the qualities of the HPF on the channel strip. Is the HPF a 12dB/octave, 6dB/octave, what frequency is it set at, 80Hz, 75Hz, 100Hz, etc.
Yet other "depends" variables are how the system is voiced (EQ'd), the amount of stage volume, the number of and volume of LF sources, the crossover point of the LF sources, whether or not Aux Fed subs are used or full bandwidth through a crossover network, and on and on and on.
I voice (EQ) my systems to be neutral, but the majority of my systems are for traditional services which use country gospel, southern gospel or quartet style gospel specials while the rest of the service music is organ and piano. One recent install actually turned off the subs because they thought there was too much LF energy.
Again, experiment until is sounds natural. No Ozzy extremes.
Old Monday, May 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Board of Directors
Become a CMN Professional Member!

One thing that may help is to understand how most people hear things. God created us to hear certain frequencies better than others. The coolest thing is that he created us to hear mid range frequencies better than most others, particularly around 3 kHz or so. This turns out the be where speech is ineligible to the human ear. It's where we talk. So, If you are having a hard time "hearing" this in your mix, one thing that you can do is take away this band of frequencies from other sources. The if you still need a little more, boost that band a little. if you are still having trouble, your room tune may need a little help.

Drew
Old Monday, May 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
The Crazy Analog Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdraft View Post
Wayne,

So you have all of your vocals with LF set at -15db. Is that just an automatic cut for you on vocals?
Yeah, pretty much. I've got a 100-Hz high pass punched in too (I forget how steep it is). If I had a sweepable high pass, I'd probably dial it in to 120, maybe 150, to get that mud out of there. Voice fundamental is at something like 120 Hz for men and 250 for women, if I remember right, so there's nothing useful at all down there, and it gets in the way of everything else. The LF knob on this console (the GL3300) is fixed at 60 Hz shelving, so it's kind of low. That on top of the 100 Hz punch-in HPF makes a pretty good combination.

Most of my vocals totally swallow the mike, which is great except for that stupid proximity effect -- which is primarily what I'm compensating for on the EQ strips there. Vocal 1 is lead vocal, to I pull out some more down at 100 or so to clean him up.

That 2K I pulled out of vocal 2 is exactly what Drew's talking about -- I needed it to get out of the way, so I pulled that out.

The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio