The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Audio All things about sound are discussed here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
New Church Media Member

Live Multitrack Recording

Our church just purchased a Presonus Firepod Firewire Recording Interface. It allows us to plug 8 channels from our board into the Firepod and record the tracks simultaneously into Steinberg Cubase LE. I am not sure how best to connect the eight channels from our mixer into the Firepod. I tried connecting a 1/4" to 1/4" cable from the Insert IN/OUT plug on a mixer channel into an input on the Firepod. The resulting recording had a lot of noise, whine, and hissing. I tried just connecting a microphone straight into the Firepod and it recording extremely well. I have a Yamaha MG24 mixer. How do I connect the Firepod into my system without all the noise? What is causing the noise? Thank you so much for your time. You guys are the best!
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
God's Nerd

I have a Firepod and love it. Looking at the information on your mixer online, I would recommend using your group outs. You probably have 4 of them correct? When I record stuff at my church we are using way too many channels for me to record all of them separately, so I use the group outs. By using the groups you can group together vocals, instruments, etc in such a way that helps get a better recording vs house mix. Not as flexible as recording every input separately, but it does give you some room to work with.
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM
ubergeekimus maximus

Use a standard TS 1/4" cable and when you plug into the insert just go to the first click. In other words you won't push the connector all the way in. That should get you what you want.

crt
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Media Mogul

on the inserts, the output is for a stereo trs 1/4" plug at the mixer end, and two separate mono ts 1/4" plugs at the other end.

An insert is designed as a way to jack in an effects processor or eq for a single channel, so both send and receive is frequently on the same plug. If that's the case for your board, another way to make it work is to use a mono 1/4" plug (t/s) inserted only to the first contact on the board, and run it as a mono plug to the input of your recording gear-if it wants a balanced 1/4", then use an appropriate adapter.

I'd do what's already been mentioned with the group outs, save for maybe the lead vocal and instrument...that way you could control those levels individually.
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
The Crazy Analog Guy

Or if there are Direct Outs, use those. Or use Group Outs if that's better.

Inserts are there to allow you to insert a signal processor into that channel strip's signal chain, so plugging into the insert interrupts the signal. If you only insert an unbalanced cable halfway, though, it's making contact but not mechanically breaking the channel yet.
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM
New Church Media Member

I have already tried inserting the 1/4" inch plug to just the first click of the Insert jack, and the noise remains the same. I tried a couple different cables just in case it was a bad cable, but to no avail. The only option I can think of is to get 8 XLR splitter adapters and connect one end into the mixer and the other end into the Firepod. We have had so many balance issues in past days that I am not interested in using the Group Outs. I purchased the Firepod so I could pick any 8 channels and multitrack record. I just don't understand why I am getting so much noise and hiss when I use the Insert jacks. I have already purchased an 8 channel 1/4" to 1/4" snake and I hate to have to now find XLR adapters just because I can't get the Insert jacks working correctly.
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Media Mogul

not trying to beat a dead horse, but just to make sure-you're pushing until the first "click", not just first contact, right?

Until you get used to it, it can be a bit difficult to know...

The only reason I even bring it back up is that it sure sounds like what would happen.

On the capture hardware, are the inputs balanced or unbalanced?
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
New Church Media Member

I'm not sure how to check if the inputs are balanced or unbalanced. I know the outputs are balanced. Inputs 1 and 2 can be operate at mic or instrument level. Inputs 3 through 8 can operate at mic or line level. I'm still unsure of how to get the Insert jack working; I am sure that I am inserting the 1/4" jack to the first "click".
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

you will have three contacts if it is balanced and only two contacts if it's unbalanced. Lot's of times it's hard to tell if 1/4 jacks are balanced so the best way to check this is to go to the manual. If you are inserting a 1/4 with only a tip and sleeve contact then it's going to be unbalanced anyway.

On your inserts are you using trs cables? If you are using tip/ring/sleeve cables you will need to rewire them or replace them with just ts or tip/sleeve cables. If you plug in a trs cable to the first click you will get one signal in phase and one signal out of phase and no common ground/shield.

crt
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
New Church Media Member

Two options one easy and cheap one not so much. The correct option would be to get an isolated splitter like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_1x2_Mic.html One send to the computer one send to the mixer. Your other option is to just y the signal and hope for the best. It should work and is a good make it work fix.
Old Wednesday, March 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM
New Church Media Member

Thank you to everyone who has been answering my questions! I am using TS 1/4" cables to connect into the Insert jacks. I have been unable to figure out if my Presonus Firepod inputs are balanced or unbalanced. I checked the owners manual and Presonus.com. Is it possible that answering that question would determine how to solve my problem of noise and hiss? I still don't understand what I could possibly be doing wrong in connecting the Firepod to the Insert jacks. I guess I am going to have to buy XLR splitters for all the inputs. Bypassing the mixer is the only way I can get a clean recording. I don't think there is anything wrong with the mixer - It is only 2 years old.
Old Wednesday, March 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM
New Church Media Member

90% of the time if it has XLR jacks it is balanced. Your insert jacks are unbalanced. The firepod is a balanced in

The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio