The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio
Forgot Password?
                          Register

General Audio All things about sound are discussed here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, April 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Richtape

Split-track CD/Cassette playback

I thought I would see what other techs were doing with split-tracks.
How do you handle the signal on a stereo board and with aux sends.
On our mono boards its simple just unplug the vocal side, except when the choir director ask for just a little bit of vocal for guidance for the choir. Horizon makes a box for this that has a volume control for each channel and converts the signal to a mic. level.
For stereo I had to build my own box with the volume controls and a switch to switch the signal to mono to get it to mono, it stays line level.

Your Turn,
Let it rip

Aubrey Richardson
Mountain View, AR
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Tuesday, April 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

We have a TT24. Control Pan moves the Pan to dead center, we mute the vocal track (Auxes post mute) and away we go. When we're done with the split track, pan hard left/right-unmute, and off we go again. Want vocal in monitor, but not main - unassign the offending channel from the mains.
C
Old Tuesday, April 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
will design for bandwidth
Become a CMN Professional Member!

We run the CD and tape decks into 2 channels (each) and just control them separately. That way, they can practice with the track, if needed and then we can take it out.

Or with the kids, we sometimes leave the vocal track in the monitor, but take it out of FOH.

"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Old Tuesday, April 24th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Still Young CM Member

We do the same. 2 differant channels and leave the vocals out of FOH and add it to the monitor if needed which is most of the time.
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2007, 05:44 AM
KJ5GG

Same here. For example: Left audio to ch 23, Right audio to ch 24. If we want to drop the vocals then we leave the ch 24 fader down. Our monitors are on Aux 4 so if we want a smidge of vocals for the choir then we'll turn up ch 24's Aux 4.
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Church Media Regular

I unplug the CD/Tape player from the stereo channel and usually just plug the instrument track into a mono channel...or you could do as suggested above and plug it into two mono channels one for voices and one for instruments.
Mike
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Church Media Regular

We also bring the left and right signals into separate mixer channels... BUT with a twist:

We use a stereo submixer (an Ashly LX308b) where ALL of our stereo sources are first run to (CD, Cassette, Computer, DVD, & VCR).
The LX308b has 3 outputs, Left, Right, & Mono, that we run into our main sound console, thus using 3 input channels.
For typical, non-split, tracks we use the Mono input channel and mute the Left & Right.
For split tracks, we just mute the Mono channel and control the Left and Right channels independently just like most others above.

This setup has some great benefits:
1.) The single Mono channel makes it easy to use for typical (non-split) tracks.
2.) Up to 8 stereo sources consume only 3 channels on the sound board! As opposed to 8-16 channels.
3.) Easy to manipulate split tracks (include vocals in monitor mixes, maybe some vocals in foh, etc)

Disadvantages to my submixer setup:
1.) Cross fading between sources is difficult or not practical. You need to operate the faders on the submixer to do this. THis is not a problem for us as we never do this.
2.) Need to be careful about unexpected audio from things like DVD players. For instance, if you are playing a CD and getting a DVD cued up, the DVD may have audio in the menus and such that gets mixed in.
3.) This setup is best for mono foh systems.
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Church Media Expert

We do the same thing as Ron posted above, except that we have another pair of channels that control whatever originates from the projection booth. CD's originate in the Sound booth, DVD's, and whatever comes from the computers originates in the projection booth. Same thought process behind both.
Old Wednesday, April 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Will Work For Food

I think we do the same thing (note the only time we really do this is for VBS)
we bring the track into 2 diffrent channels
This way i can control the volcal track
Ill Set the aux 1 feed to around 5 (for stage monitors) and aux 2 feed (recording feed) to around 1 or 2 (just a hint of the recorded kids vocals)
The house slider goes to around -15(sometimes a little higher at the start of the week for new songs)
by the end of the week just a touch or none at all
We call this a confidence mix
Old Thursday, April 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Richtape

Good replies. The 2 channel way is good if you have the extra channels. Our board has 21/22, 23/24 as stereo (on one fader) kinda limits us on tying up mono channels for music.
I guess it goes back to what ever you have, and what ever you can make work.
I will have another post soon on another subject. My reason for coming up with these post is, hopefully we can help some "not so talented" become more talented. You never know when somebody may read about a different way or new way of bettering (is that a word) the sound.

Nuff

Aubrey Richardson
Mountain View, AR
Old Thursday, April 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Media Mogul

other than the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmchamp View Post
We have a TT24. Control Pan moves the Pan to dead center, we mute the vocal track (Auxes post mute) and away we go. When we're done with the split track, pan hard left/right-unmute, and off we go again. Want vocal in monitor, but not main - unassign the offending channel from the mains.
C
we do the same. Easy to manipulate, no wiring to re-route, and just a few button pushes to set up either with or without the vocal tracks going to the monitors.

The Church Media Community > Audio > General Audio