The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > Copyright Issues
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Copyright Issues Ask questions about copyright here. If you answer a question, be sure to include a valid source for your answer. Hearsay doesn't count! :)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Church Media Cowboy

Bible Copyright Laws

I have been studying Copyright Laws and I came upon this information about The Copyright Laws concerning the Bible. All Modern translations of the Bible have Copyright restriction.
Except the "King James Version". Now I'm not starting an argument about what version you should use, I just thought it was very interesting. I got interested and started looking at the inside cover of several different Bibles that I have and found this Copyright information to be true and printed right there, I just had never read it. The NIV Bible Copyright says that,
"The NIV text may be quoted and/or printed up to and inclusive of one thousand (1000) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for 50% or more of the total work in which they are quoted.

Notice of copyright must appear on the title or copyright page of the work as follows:

Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984 international Bible Society. used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers."

When quotations from the NIV text are used in non-saleable media such as church bulletins, orders of service, posters, transparencies or simular media, the initials NIV may be used at the end of each quotation.
Quotations and/or reprints in excess of one thousand (1000) verses, or other permission requests must be directed and approved in writtiong by Zondervan Bible publishers".

I found this very interesting I had never considered any of this, it brought up a very interesting discussion in Adult Sunday School class this morning. Everybody was looking in the front of thier Bibles to see what they said some said the same thing only limiting it to 500 verses.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Tim Eason - ChurchMedia.net Community Founder 1999-2008
Spectator

Hey, I thought God held the copyrights to the Bible

Just FYI, this is where some the cost of worship software goes. The programmers have to pay a copyright fee for the Bibles they include (except KJV and American Standard).
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2004, 05:30 PM
law by day-video by night

Don - Thanks for the post! For others that are curious, this was addressed in an older thread - Bible - copyright issues

Old Sunday, June 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Paul Alan Clifford
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C.
...All Modern translations of the Bible have Copyright restriction.
Except the "King James Version". ...
Just curious, how is 1611 a modern date ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Eason
Hey, I thought God held the copyrights to the Bible...
He does, but since He published it first, long enough ago that the copyright is expired, He doesn't collect royalties. It's the people who translate it that have copyright.

BTW, what would a person need to use more than 1000 (or even 500) verses for other than copying the text in toto?

Paul

The Church Media Community > Teams & Leadership > Copyright Issues