Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Audio Software
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wednesday, June 17th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Church Media Mentor

Really?

Here is one that does. Plus you can play in audio (when using PT) and it eliminates the need for MIDI.

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sib..._features.html
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Saturday, June 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
New Church Media Member

How does sibelius 6 allow only the fly chord tranposition in MS WORD?

PDC please elaborate....

If Sibelius 6 does, as you suggest, does this (as described in this post title) I would be delighted to hear about it. So far all I can get sibelius to do is:

I paste the text from a word document into sibelius using a chord diagram placeholder but on transposition it transposes all captial letters in the text (including non-chord diagram symbols) - this is because it can't distinguish which are the chords and which are the text of the song! Also the tranposition is very much not 'on the fly' as one needs to access a menu and use drop-down boxes which is 2/3 clicks away.

Also - having over 500 MS Word files - I'm not keen on transfering them to another program/format. I want something that (as Shay has done) interacts with my original word document chord sheets.

There may be a sibelius plugin for chord sheets in MS WORD that you know about and I don't - please tell if so?
Old Friday, June 26th, 2009, 01:12 PM
New PA System Survivor

Good afternoon

Quote:
Any closer to this being available? - have been looking for something that integrates to word in this way for a couple of years....would love to use it!
It is getting closer, yes. Office Plug-ins are not as straight-forward to distribute and deploy when compared with a stand-alone application. I'll be away for the next two week (vacation) but I'm taking my laptop with me to work on the project.

Quote:
I paste the text from a word document into sibelius using a chord diagram placeholder but on transposition it transposes all captial letters in the text (including non-chord diagram symbols) - this is because it can't distinguish which are the chords and which are the text of the song
One big assumption I'm making is that each line in the chord sheet is either "Just Chords" or "Just Lyrics". It looks at the line and figures out how likely it is that the line is chords or lyrics and it only transposes the ones it things is lyrics. It hasn't seemed to suffer from the issue described above. There is (or will be) an adjustable threshold for matching.

Quote:
Just wondering what your goal is.
I like to do my chord sheets in Word. I find it to be quick, easy, and effective. So my goal is ultimately to allow me to build/modify chord sheets made with Word as quickly as possible. And why not do it from within Word?

Here's what it's looking like so far:

(Note: inserting guitar chords probably won't be in the first release - it's just experimental for now)

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png
Old Friday, June 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
New PA System Survivor

For anyone who is super-curious, I created a deployment package and I have done basic testing on Windows XP Professional with Office 2007. It installed and worked fine for me, although it is not feature-complete. It is available for anyone who wants to kick the tires.

Requirements
Downloading/Installing the Add-In
You can download the installer for the Plug-In here:

http://www.sanctussoft.com/download/..._0_1_Alpha.msi

It's a pretty standard setup wizard, should be comfortable for all.

The first time you run Word 2007 after installing Add-in, Word will tell you that the add-in has been installed but it is not signed/trusted. Just click "Install" and the Add-in will be ready to go.

Now when you use Word 2007, you will have an extra tab in the Ribbon called "Chord Sheet".

What Works
- Target of "New Document" (recommended) or "This Document"
- Transposing Chords
- Making a Lyric Sheet (removes chord-lines)

What Sort Of Works
- Add Chord Diagrams will insert guitar chord diagrams. You can't pick any instrument or tuning (it's always Guitar in EADGBE) and there are very few chords in the database

What Doesn't Work Yet
- Transpose Options
- Download Lyrics (will eventually grab lyrics from cyberhymnal, CCLI, et. al.)

I have proof-of-concept code working for the Download Lyrics button but it's not hooked up.

Technical Support
I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks, away from email mostly during the first week and entirely during the second week.

Disclaimer
This is a preview version - it's not finished yet. I haven't tried it on Vista.

Also, when I fully release it I will probably charge for it. CMN has some strict rules about vendors (or in my case, wanna-be-vendors) promoting themselves or their products. If I'm violating any guidelines in this post, Dan/Phil - let me know (in 2 weeks - I'm on VACATION! )
Old Saturday, June 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM
New Church Media Member

Thanks!

Thank you so much! I too, like to work in word (mainly as that's how I started 5 years ago and I have hundreds of songs in that format). I had thought about converting it all to chordpro but that would take hours of re-positiioning all my chords in standard txt files and then converting them.

I've written various VB scripts (e.g to strip text from all slides in each ppt file in a folder and save them all as txt files that Easy Worship will work with)....but what you're doing is way more complex so I hadn't the courage to start trying that. Was delighted to find this forum!

I will have a go with your program - thanks for sharing what you have so far.
Old Saturday, June 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM
New Church Media Member

Great stuff. I'd check this out when I get home.
Old Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
New PA System Survivor

Anyone have a chance to try it out? While on vacation I got a little time to working on it. I've now got it formatting chord lines (ex: make all of the chords Bold and Dark Blue... my buddy did this on his chord sheets and it made them way easier to read).

The long term thing will be the chord diagrams. I have to enter a couple of hundred diagrams to make the feature usable.
Old Monday, July 6th, 2009, 01:31 AM
New Church Media Member

Tyre-kicking

Yes have been trying it out a lot recently, am on XP SP3 and have office 2007 so all's fine. All seems to be working well. I hope to use it so I can transpose fast on the fly at rehearsals/in services. I've had a few thoughts (just suggestions / wish list) but I appreciate you could be developing something forever if you incorporated everything anybody wanted! The main things I wondered were:

1. It would be great if the user were able to set the default status to 'This Document' rather than 'New Document' - It's just that this option suits me better and it's another click every time to change it to 'This Document' I do understand why you have it set the other way but I would like to be able to change this to default to the other option..

2. An option to transpose a 'selection' or a 'page' (I don't think word is good at identifying a 'page' so the 'selection/range' may be the only way to do this. I have written a vb program to allow worship leaders to select songs for a set and it then compiles them into one .doc file with a title/set list on the 1st page and hyperlinks to all my other songs at the end so I can easily access all my chord sheets. Anyway - I have all my chord sheets compiled in one .doc and don't want to transpose the whole thing - do you plan this feature for 'Transpose Options'?

3. I would like to be able to assign a shortcut key to your buttons in word and your commands don't seem to appear on the list for doing that......again it's just I want to do things fast, on the fly, with a guitar in my hand in front of the congregation.

4. If you could add a button/buttons which when pressed would simply transpose up or down a semitone I could repeatedly press this until the song arrived in the right key which, believe it or not would be less cumbersome than selecting 2 keys from the drop down boxes in the middle of my worship set. I am assuming that you program simply calculates the 'difference' between the two selected keys in terms of semitones and then applies this no matter what key you're in (I tried setting it to transpose from A to B but my song was in D and it did indeed transpose to E perfectly) could a quick button / shortcut key be added? I'd love to be able to simply cycle through keys fast rather than select from the drop-downs. This is partly my reason for trying to assign a shortcut key to your buttons in point 3. - I was trying to get it to work like this myself.

Not having access to toolbars when word is in full reading mode is a pain, but I've just customized the main screen to look a bit like the reading view so that I can access your buttons while I'm playing.

A slightly related/unrelated question - is there a way to set the status of the ribbon in word to 'off' /FALSE as opposed to simply 'toggling' it. If I add the toggle command to my macros it just switches it from whatever it happend to be set on last time - I wnat it to be hidden all the time as default when I run my own program is there any VB way of doing this?

The software is fantastic though, all of the functionality I have tried seems to be working fine….no bugs as far as I can see and the deployment package worked like a dream too. Will keep playing with it - thanks for allowing me to try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Natbud For This Useful Post:
shayward (Monday, July 6th, 2009)
Old Monday, July 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
New PA System Survivor

Quote:
Tyre-kicking
I love that spelling of "tyre". Canadian English has a lot of spelling in common with the UK but use the American "tire". We have some kids books from the UK that use "tyre".

Quote:
1. It would be great if the user were able to set the default status to 'This Document' rather than 'New Document'
That one is on my list. Actually, to save whichever of those options was last selected.

Quote:
2. An option to transpose a 'selection' or a 'page'
That one's on my list too ... for Selection, at least. Another important use for that is having a chorus that changes keys the last time through.

Quote:
3. I would like to be able to assign a shortcut key to your buttons in word and your commands don't seem to appear on the list for doing that
That's a great idea. I didn't have that on my list but I'm going to put it on the list.

Quote:
......again it's just I want to do things fast, on the fly, with a guitar in my hand in front of the congregation.
You're a brave fellow

Granted, I've had to sight-transpose songs on the flight in front of the congregation with a guitar in hand when the Pastor starts of in the key of H#

Quote:
4. If you could add a button/buttons which when pressed would simply transpose up or down a semitone I could repeatedly press this until the song arrived in the right key which, believe it or not would be less cumbersome than selecting 2 keys from the drop down boxes in the middle of my worship set.
Also a brilliant idea. My long-term goal would be to use some of the transposition technology to make a digial music stand program. And so bumping up and down on the fly would be essential. I had thought of Word add-in as more of a "static" tool to be used "offline" but I really like your idea so it's going on the list.

Quote:
I am assuming that you program simply calculates the 'difference' between the two selected keys in terms of semitones and then applies this no matter what key you're in (I tried setting it to transpose from A to B but my song was in D and it did indeed transpose to E perfectly)
Almost

It figures out the distance between two keys and how many chord-name letters it has to go up and down. If you pick improper keys you can get strange results. For example, picking Original Key as C, Transpose To as C# when your song is in the key of A then it will transpose to A# (which isn't a valid key). You can also key into chords that have double-flats and double-sharps.

So picking D -> E when you want to change from G -> A will work just fine.

Quote:
could a quick button / shortcut key be added? I'd love to be able to simply cycle through keys fast rather than select from the drop-downs.
I like the shortcut key idea. That's going on the list as well. I'll have to see what Word uses for shortcuts. Off the top of my head, something like SHIFT+ALT+PLUS or SHIFT+ALT+MINUS would be logical.

Quote:
A slightly related/unrelated question - is there a way to set the status of the ribbon in word to 'off' /FALSE as opposed to simply 'toggling' it. If I add the toggle command to my macros it just switches it from whatever it happend to be set on last time - I wnat it to be hidden all the time as default when I run my own program is there any VB way of doing this?
That I'm not sure of. It would make sense if there was a way to at least see the status of the ribbon, even if that property wouldn't let you set the status. I'll have to look into it further next week (I'm going camping today and will be away from internet). I use C# and VSTO, which is slightly different from VBA but it is very similar. If I can find a VBA article on how to do something, 9 times in 10 it works in C#/VSTO.

Quote:
The software is fantastic though, all of the functionality I have tried seems to be working fine….no bugs as far as I can see and the deployment package worked like a dream too. Will keep playing with it - thanks for allowing me to try it.
Thank-you for all of the feedback - it is most appreciated. I'm putting your ideas on the list.
Old Monday, July 6th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Church Media Regular

I'm stuck with Office 2003, but was wondering if this works with OpenOffice 3.1?
Old Monday, July 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM
New PA System Survivor

Quote:
I'm stuck with Office 2003, but was wondering if this works with OpenOffice 3.1?
Unfortunately, no. I haven't looked into building add-ins for OpenOffice but I'm sure it can be done. I believe it's written in Java.
Old Sunday, July 12th, 2009, 11:26 PM
New PA System Survivor

Quote:
4. If you could add a button/buttons which when pressed would simply transpose up or down a semitone I could repeatedly press this until the song arrived in the right key which, believe it or not would be less cumbersome than selecting 2 keys from the drop down boxes in the middle of my worship set.
This weekend I got a chance to play with the chord sheet editor toolbar and put this feature in. The only thing is, you have to pick your original key. You then have 2 buttons to move up a key and 2 buttons to move down a key.

So, if the original key is C you will have a -1 to B button, -1 to Cb button, +1 to C# button, and +1 to Db button.

To get around the issue of having to constantly pick the original key, if you use one of those 4 buttons and transpose within the same document then the Original Key drop down changes to the key that you just changed the song to. That will allow you to keep clicking the -1 or +1 buttons all you want without having to re-select the key.

I'll send a link to a new build once I have one for testing.

The Church Media Community > Audio > Audio Software