The Church Media Community
Equipping You to Communicate Effectively
support CMN & share a
library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Audio Monitors & Systems
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Audio Monitors & Systems Stage monitors, In-Ear monitors, Close-field monitors, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, May 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM
New Church Media Member

Wireless Audio System for Hearing Impaired

Does anyone use an audio system to help with the hearing impaired(and elderly)? We have a system that is pretty old and it is very difficult to get replacement parts. I'm thinking that given the last 10 years of technology, there are much better and cheaper wireless audio systems out there for this purpose.

I looked around in hear but didn't find a thread on this. Maybe it's there and I just missed it. Let me know.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, May 18th, 2006, 03:13 PM
New Church Media Member

We have a system made by Gentner. They have both analog and digital receivers available at abou the same cost. Do yourself a huge favor and only use the digital receivers.
Old Thursday, May 18th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

I would stick with Gentner, Williams Sound or Listen Technologies.
C.
Old Thursday, May 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Ne'er-do-well

There's a thread on it from last summer here. There's a good discussion of some different systems. CMN member dovprst is deaf (in fact is pastor at a deaf church in VA), and may have some additional thoughts.

One thing to consider is a t-coil system. They work directly with a person's existing hearing aid, so people don't need to fuss with separate earphones if they've got a t-coil compatible hearing aid. A t-coil system can either be done with a wire around the sanctuary (and hence nothing for users to wear except their hearing aid), or in conjunction with a digital wireless assitive listening system, just use a special loop instead of earphones.
Old Thursday, May 18th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Be aware, if a T-Coil system isn't installed properly, it can interfere greatly with electric guitars.
C.
Old Thursday, May 18th, 2006, 06:53 PM
New Church Media Member

We use a Williams Sound system, and I find it to be quite flexible... In fact, it was even used once when our monitors on stage were out for the choir director to keep pace with a track and keep the choir up to speed...
Old Friday, May 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
New Church Media Member

We use Williams as well with good results. We have 16 receivers and use their 16 station battery charger as well. VERY convenient. I keep a unit at the console so I can monitor it every now and then.
Old Friday, May 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM
New Church Media Member

Anothe vote for Williams. Ours was pretty much much install, set it up once, and forget it. It just works. We have even patched from one of the receivers into the mic in of a camcorder for picking up audio, wasn't great, but was significantly better than the built in mic, and allowed the camera to be mobile.

Steve S.
Old Friday, May 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
KJ5GG

We have a Telex system and it works quite well. Was real popular when we first installed it quite a few years ago but no one uses it anymore except some of the media team just so they can hear the mix.
Old Saturday, May 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Member? Hardly!

About three years ago, we replaced an old IR ALS system with an FM system from Listen Technologies. http://www.listentech.com/ The only suggestion I would make is that you step up to the LR400 body pack receivers. We chose the LR300 series in a cost saving move, but I wish we had gone with the 400 series because they are easier to setup - the 300 series does not have a display so you have to just go from one freq to the next by pushing a selector button and then it can be tough to remember which of the previous frequencies sounded the clearest. The LR400 shows you the chan as you scroll through. I would also suggest the LA-164 "ear speakers" instead of the standard LA-161 earbuds. The 164 fits over the user's ear and can be used with the user's hearing aid still in place. I am told by the users that the 164 is far better than the 161 "in ear bud." They also have a "neck loop" (LA-166) for direct interfacing with T-coil equipped hearing aids.

We have a retirement community very nearby and our senior pastor's parents live there. It seems as though every Sunday there are more folks attending from that community. They even come in a bus now! (sing along... "Good news! Chariot's a-comin!) Don't get me wrong, it's great! But we have had to add receivers like crazy.
Old Thursday, May 25th, 2006, 08:41 PM
New Church Media Member

We just bought a Nady FM system for a killer price from Troxell Communications (www.trox.com). It's about 1/4 the price of Williams and others.

Cheers!
Paul

The Church Media Community > Audio > Audio Monitors & Systems