Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 11:27 AM
bwatson
Spectator

Digital Sound Boards

Howdy from Texas!

I am the new Media Director at a church here in East Texas, and the staff is wanting me to begin pricing/researching some new sound equipment. The Music Dept wants a digital sound board, and I am unfortunately better at video than audio.

Has anyone had any experience with mackie (or other) digital sound boards?

Thanks!

Ben Watson
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Church Meal Expert

My new church CCOB has a Digico D5. I'm so new here that I haven't had a chance to do much with it other than wipe my drool off. One of our CMN Admins (Drew Ryan) has a bit of experience with digital boards. If he doesn't chime-in here soon - drop him a PM.

Best regards,
PCH
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Using Media for His Glory

The Mackie TT24 looks to be a very promising board. It is still relatively new and supply has not yet caught up with demand so there are a lot of people that want to get one or test one but very few people actually have.

A good place to read up on the TT24 is at the forums at prosoundweb.com. Do a search for "TT24" and it should return with some good reading.

From everything that I have read, it appears to be a VERY good deal. Our church is looking into getting a couple for a full FOH and Monitor solution. However, until the effects card is released that will add processing to channels 25-48, it's not an option for us right now.

Jeff
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 12:13 PM
bwatson
Spectator

Thanks for the input PCH. I too have been learning (playing) with the equipment (toys) here, and it looks like I need to do some research. (In fact, I don't even have an office yet; I am residing in the production cave upstairs) Some of our equipment is a little dated, but still very good stuff. We have just put in a new projection system from Media Merge, so now we need to get the sound to fit!

Keep the recommendations coming!

Thanks!

Ben Watson
MBC
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Board of Directors
Become a CMN Professional Member!

I absolutely love the Digico D5 Live. You would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands before I would give it up. Reasons?

In it's class it is the best sounding console on the market.
It is the most user friendly console on the market.
You can have more than one opperator on each seface at a time.
The support that we have recieved from Digico has been increadible. I truly cannot say enough great things about them.

Here is the skinny. For a moderatly configured D5 system you will pay about $130,000.00. They just released the D1 Live that is significantly less expensive, but just as flexible.

Check both out at www.digico.org and click on the left side of the screen.

The direct competators to the D5 are Yamaha PM1D with the 5000 mic pres and the Digidesign Venue.

The Mackie looks to be a great console for the price. I have been less than satisfied with mackie's customer service as of late, but that may just be me.

Bryan Ramsey may also choose to join in the fray

Drew
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Church Media Expert

doh! here i thought the conversation was about internet sound boards. i like calling my mother-in-law using the napoleon dynamite soundrack. Hi. Is grandma there? I need you to come pick me up.
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Church Media Expert

We too are looking at replacing our sound board. We finally upgraded the speakers this year. I've been looking at digital vs. analog and for us the analog is a much better fit. You can buy a lot of analog board and processors for the price of most digital boards (mackies excluded). Now if you have a venue where there are different style services (traditional, contemporary, college, youth) in a short amount of time. Or if you have a lot of changes where you are adjusting EQs, Aux sends, etc.. during a service. I can see a digital board coming in handy.

I've seen a lot of churches pushing for a digital board because it's the newest thing not because it's the best fit. I've also seen several installs where a digital board was a lifesaver. Just make sure you need a digital board, not just want one.

-Dave
Old Thursday, July 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM
bwatson
Spectator

The church is probably big enough to need a board of this caliber, as we do lots of special concerts, plays and such, so i don't think the cost would really be much of an issue.

Thanks for some ideas to get rolling on. We probabl need to take care of some acoustical issues in the sanctuary before we fret on pricing a new board.

Ben Watson
MBC
Old Friday, August 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ryan
I absolutely love the Digico D5 Live. You would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands before I would give it up. Reasons?

In it's class it is the best sounding console on the market.
It is the most user friendly console on the market.
You can have more than one opperator on each seface at a time.
The support that we have recieved from Digico has been increadible. I truly cannot say enough great things about them.

Here is the skinny. For a moderatly configured D5 system you will pay about $130,000.00. They just released the D1 Live that is significantly less expensive, but just as flexible.

Check both out at www.digico.org and click on the left side of the screen.

The direct competators to the D5 are Yamaha PM1D with the 5000 mic pres and the Digidesign Venue.

The Mackie looks to be a great console for the price. I have been less than satisfied with mackie's customer service as of late, but that may just be me.

Bryan Ramsey may also choose to join in the fray
Sorry - I have been very out of touch lately with the traveling I have done.

Yes - I agree totally with Drew's comments.

I love the Digico as well and would never use another digital board if I could keep from it.

I am not that familiar with the Mackie products - as we just don't use them that much. There are some smaller Yamaha boards in the 20K range that work well if you aren't going to use more than 24-32 channels. If you want or need more channels then another option in the 40-50K range is the Yamaha PM5D. That will give you 48 channels with no external I/o's to buy. In my opinion the PM5D is a good board for the money - but in my experience with it - I really see it working best in a monitor world configuration.

Hope this helps.
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 12:49 PM
New Church Media Member

Digital Audio Mixers

Good morning! I'm looking for a sound mixer that is in the price range of 4-6k. I may be dreaming in that price range but that's pretty much where my budget lies for a mixer right now. My sound crew are volunteers and the sound changes depending on who's up... I'm looking to have a system that gives us some resemblance of consistency. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Need help please!
Aric
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Board of Directors
Become a CMN Professional Member!

More Info

We would need quite a bit more information on you set up. How many channels are you in need of, what programming does the audio console support? Things like that.

There are consoles in that price range that will offer some setup recall-ability. We just need to know what all you need the console to do.

Drew
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
New Church Media Member

Digital Audio Mixers...

Yes, being more specific would definitely help

So, we would need a 32 channel board (running 24 now but 1 channel shy of being out... with 1 not working). I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "... what programming the console supports"... my weakness is in the audio realm. We have assistive listening, wireless systems, etc. ????

I hope this helps

Aric

The Church Media Community > Audio > Audio Mixers