Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Audio Mixers
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2010, 12:08 AM
seeing~hearing~believing

Is multi-track from LS9 possible?

New to digital audio boards and I'm from video world... so I need help determining if there's a means to approximate multi-track recording from a Yamaha LS9? Worship leader wants a live worship music recording of CD quality. I can capture dual channels through XLR outputs, but obviously need something better than this. Approximately 17 channel inputs - some grouping is acceptable. Since we use an Aviom system that accepts multiple outputs through CAT5, I would think multi-track could be feasible to computer or audio recording device. We have access to GarageBand and ProTools... so tell me if this is possible and how. (Coincidentally, we're good on copyright issues). Sorry I can't find these answers in the manual... at least not quickly.
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Church Media Expert

There's a guy on ProSoundWeb who's doing 32 tracks via a pair of mLan cards (which are not supported, but which apparently work). Trouble is I think the card is discontinued.

You can go Ethersound, but the computer card is pretty expensive.

You can go Dante, but the licensing is kinda pricey I think - might be the cheapest overall though.

You can go TDIF if you can find a computer card (or get a stand-alone hard disc recorder with TDIF inputs, such as the Mackie HDR24/96).

You can go ADAT but that would be my last choice sound wise.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Church Media Expert

We have gone ADAT using an additional 16 channel slot card in the LS9 and a corresponding card in the PC. We use 8 channels from the LS9 to the PC at the moment. We have grouped our instruments and vocalists together (FIXED MIX channels from the other thread...) and have a separate group for the service leader/preacher.
The PC card is a "MARC A" but we are not entirely happy with it. We have found that Audacity will not record in more than 2 channels out of the box using this card. We are in the process of updating from Audacity to Reaper and we have tested this with 8 channel multitracking and found it to be fine. There is a cost for Reaper - but if you meet their criterion for the low-cost licence (charity, Church etc.) it is not expensive. You can download a trial version and compare it to Audacity before you buy.
We think our problems are with the Windows OS and Virus scanner software though - not necessarily the audio card. We have physically disabled the internet connection and the virus scan software whilst we are recording and will see how it goes from now on.

Dave
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM
New Church Media Member

What protools interface do you have?

You are going to have to get an output card. The LS9 only has 2 slots, one of which you are probably using for Avioms. As far as I know the biggest card you can get is 16 outputs.

Here is what we are doing, 16 channel adat card out of the board into a Presonus interface and recording in Logic. We assign direct outputs on the channels we want to record.
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
New Church Media Member

I will be installing an LS9 in my church in about a week and we have also ordered a MY16AT ADAT expansion card that will connect to an M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge firewire interface. The ADAT will give us 16 multi-track channels and then using the TDIF out on the LS9, we get two more. Summary
MY16AT - $420
Lightbridge - $340
ProTools 8 M-Powered - $220
= $980 to get 18 channels of 48kHz ProTools recording.
We're pretty excited to see how this setup will work out.
Old Thursday, October 14th, 2010, 03:21 AM
New Church Media Member

The new Dante cards from Audinate will work also, I got a quote for $500 per card. We have an LS9 with an Aviom card, so for us to get 32 track digital record we would also need a whirlwind pxp-da, which I have got a quote for $2200. The whirlwind pxp-da is a protocol exchange processor, so for us it goes from Dante to Aviom. I know this option is more expensive, but you can get pretty much 32 tracks of digital record (if you don't need groupings for the Aviom). Here are the links to the Dante card and the whirlwind pxp-da.

http://www.audinate.com/index.php?op...roduct_details

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/digi...hange-platform

Hope this helps and gives you more to think about.
Old Thursday, October 14th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Just keep in mind that regardless of the number of physical outputs the LS9 has 16 mix buses, 8 matrix buses and L/R/mono buses. I believe you can assign inputs directly to an output without using up a bus but you otherwise have to work within those 27 buses even if you have 48 or 64 physical outputs.
Old Thursday, February 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Church Media Regular

Hi Brad. I know this was a post from awhile ago. but I was wondering if you could speculate on this last post? And i was wondering if anyone has comments on how well the LS9 recording is working out for them?
And curious to see what route WORDpictures used.
Old Thursday, February 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
seeing~hearing~believing

I discovered a friend has an 8-channel audio interface. I planned to route 8 mixes from the board through the interface and into a computer via firewire (Garage Band). I could monitor the mix through the interface. Then it took awhile to find a readily available laptop with firewire. Alas, we were getting into holiday preparations when the interface availability became known, so the band had refocused on seasonal song prep and schedules became scattered.

So... it didn't materialize, but I would love to give this a try still! Another issue through the LS9 was inability to monitor and optimize the recorded mix without altering the FOH mix during an actual worship service.

EDIT: This would have allowed 8 tracks recorded within the computer.
Old Thursday, February 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM
ubergeekimus maximus

Which LS9 do you have? 16 or 32?

I assume you are using one of the card slots for the Aviom card?

crt
Old Thursday, February 24th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Church Media Regular

No no. We dont have an LS9 yet. But we are very interested.
Old Friday, February 25th, 2011, 03:04 AM
New Church Media Member

In hindsight....after going to the LS9 we would have also gone to a digital snake at the same time. I know it is really expensive, but digital network would give some awesome flexibility in the future. Also, if you are really worried about multi-track recording, why not the Presonus?

We just ordered our Dante card this week, so I should be getting it soon, That will be installed in our LS9 with an Aviom card. It is gonna be really nice to have 16 track pre-fader recordings.

Going the way described above a few posts, using 8 of the mix/matrix into a firewire interface actually would not work for us. We currently use a mix for drums (into Aviom), a mix for wedges, two IEM's. We Matrix to; foyer, underbalcony. We were using a Mix with an omni out for recording, but it was really clunky, the new software out like Airfader or the iPad app (when it comes available for the LS9) should help with the clunkyness. Also, we send out for our mains as well.

One quick FYI, the USB recorder on the LS9 is pretty good, it gives a good backup and sounds pretty good. The only issue is that sometimes it does fail, requiring the user to pull out the USB and re-plug it in.

The Church Media Community > Audio > Audio Mixers