library of 19K+ images, videos, etc
Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Amplification & Speakers
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Using Media for His Glory

I did look at the Community speakers you mentioned. The iBox is out of our price range, the CPL's frequency response chart is all over the place, and the HF response on the Veris is abysmal. Seriously? 13k -3dB downpoint. The S-series might be worth looking at. It's -4dB downpoint is 16k, still lower than what I would like, but not enough to rule it out.

I am intrigued by the RH PN121's but I can't find any prices for them online so I assume they are like Meyer and don't allow any publishing of any prices. Something thells me that they would probably be in the same price range as the Meyer's as well.

Anybody have any experience with DAS Audio speakers? The RF-12.85 seems to be in our price/power/size range and although it isn't powered, still looks like something worth listening to.

So far, the ones on my list of contenders are:
JBL PRX512m
QSC HPR122i
QSC K12
RH PN121 (dependent on price range)
DAS RF-12.85
Community S-1296

Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton, Texas
www.nsbcc.org
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 05:54 PM
What was I doing?

Jeff, if you want to drive down to Burleson, just south of Fort Worth, and borrow my K10's for a weekend or 2 to see how you like them just let me know. We might be able to meet somewhere too.

They're being used the next week for a movie premiere I'm working on in town here but after that I don't see why I couldn't part with them for a couple of weeks if you wanted to give them a demo run.

I know they aren't the 12's, but they'll give you an idea on use in the field. It's hard just listening to speakers in the demo room.

In fact, for me personally I didn't feel the 12's would bring me any significant advantages over the 10's. They go sufficiently low that they'll crossover fine into the subwoofers freqs (or when used as stand alone units), they are about 10 pounds lighter, and about $100 cheaper. Plus they are a 90 degree conical where the K12 is a 75. My applications for them will be 1 per side speaker on a stick apps so the little extra coverage is needed.

Just PM me if you want and I'll give you my number.
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
The Crazy Analog Guy

I'm not sure what prices are like for the powered version, but Renkus's CF line might be worth a look. We have the unpowered CFX121s in our sanctuary, and I've been happy with them.
Old Friday, January 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Church Media Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92k7 View Post
Thanks. I probably will. I called our local "Banjo Middle" last night because I wanted to go in and demo the QSC's and the JBL's but was told that they don't carry the HPR series anymore. They've switched to the cheaper K series. Unfortunately, that store didn't have any of the JBL's to compare them to. I called another nearby "Banjo Middle" and they had a couple of the JBL's left over that they were trying to get rid of (and on clearance for $800 each ) but didn't have any of the QSC's.

After some googling last night looking for K12 reviews, I came across some posts mentioning that the HPR's are going to be discontinued. I don't know how accurrate that info is, but if it is true, then that will probably rule out getting any HPR's. The budget funding probably won't be available for about 6 months or so.

Since the K series is QSC's new offering, I'm sure it will still be around by the time we are actually ready to purchase.

Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton, Texas
www.nsbcc.org
You got incorrect information. The HPRs are NOT DISCONTINUED. The Ks are for a different market with different features and reduced weight for the MI and contractor markets.

Guitar Center only carries specific skus from each manufacturer. They will only stock the K8s and not the 12s. They will not stock anything that compares directly. They use box house techniques to keep inventory down and selection minimized. They tell you that they have the widest selection, but that is false!

We sell Behringer, JBL, EV, QSC, etc. The K8 has features that none of the others have. Sonically they can sound like a bigger box. I am not a fan of the bass boost when the speaker is mounted against a wall, in a corner, etc. The stand mount is genious, allowing an optional downward tlit. They are weather ready (not weatherproof), os they can live outside long term in a covered patio, enclosure, etc.
Old Friday, January 15th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Jeff, if you want to drive down to Burleson, just south of Fort Worth, and borrow my K10's for a weekend or 2 to see how you like them just let me know. We might be able to meet somewhere too.
I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on that at some point. It will still be a while though. Thanks for the review of your speakers. It is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehoskins View Post
I'm not sure what prices are like for the powered version, but Renkus's CF line might be worth a look. We have the unpowered CFX121s in our sanctuary, and I've been happy with them.
Those look like really nice speakers. Unfortuantely, the powered versions are quite a bit more than our price range will allow and while the unpowered ones are right in our price range, they are at the top end and wouldn't leave enough to by a matching amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc View Post
You got incorrect information. The HPRs are NOT DISCONTINUED. The Ks are for a different market with different features and reduced weight for the MI and contractor markets.
Good to know. I appreciate your clarification on that.

Adding to my last post, I did some searching over at Prosoundweb for experiences with the DAS Audio products. They typically get a "they're ok" rating. Since they appear to be nothing special, I'm ruling them out. No sense in looking at unpowered speakers if they don't offer notably better sound quality.

My list now:

JBL PRX512m
QSC HPR122i
QSC K12

I really appreciate all the input on the other brands. I just wish these other good brands would get into this same price point... higher than typical MI/DJ stuff, but not quite what I would consider "Pro". Keep the recommendations coming.

Thanks,

Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton, Texas
www.nsbcc.org
Old Friday, January 15th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Church Media Mentor

You guys should ask the guys at Sound Productions there in Dallas. http://www.soundpro.com/

They are probably the highest volume dealer and contractor supplier in that region. They will give you the honest scoop on what is best. They will give you a fair price as well.
Old Sunday, January 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
New Church Media Member

Hey guys, just ran into this forum on the web, so this is my first post. Happened to see this post with 3 'No Behringer' signs, despite which I'd like to mentioned that Behringer's newer products are apparently far more reliable than some of their older ones (from 5 years ago). Someone mentioned the B1520DSPs which are pretty old, heavy wooden cabinets. Their newer plastic cabinets which I've used are pretty neat, powerful and clean-sounding.

Anyway, they JUST unweilled their upcoming range of gear at the NAMM last weekend. You should check out the B812NEO, which seemed pretty impressive to me. Those speakers seem like great value for money. Also some 15" active subs which should be for under $500 ($399 if i remember correctly). May be worth trying them out at Guitar Centre, if you have an outlet close by. If you don't like them, you can always exchange them for something else. IF you do try them, do tell me how you find them. Keen on hearing first-hand feedback on these pieces. Thanks.
Old Thursday, March 11th, 2010, 07:27 AM

I thought I would come back to this issue. If all goes well, we should be ready to purchase in about 2 months.

I noticed a month or two ago that there were some new products introduced at NAMM that piqued my curiosity. Does anybody have any info about:

Peavey EU 112d powered speakers
Peavey Impulse 12d
DAS Audio Avant series

Having kept this issue on the back burner for a couple of months, I haven't really done much since my last post. My list is still pretty much limited to the JBL PRX speakers (really like the low weight and we have had excellent results with our other JBL speakers (JRX series excluded)), and the 2 QSC models (though I'm still leaning more towards the HPR112 rather than the K12).

Now with these new models that appear to be in the same price range, it got me wondering how they would compare. Have any of you dealers gotten to demo any of those new models I listed above? I am very intrigued by the ribbon driver in the Peavey Impulse speaker, even if it does come in an ugly plastic box.

Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton, Texas
www.nsbcc.org
Old Wednesday, March 31st, 2010, 07:41 AM
AVL System Designer

The Peavey impulse stuff is GREAT for the pricepoint. I have always been very pleased with their gear. Also Peavey has a new lightweight amp that is pretty great.
IPR i think? We have installed a bunch of Impulse speakers and have always been very happy with the result.

As for DAS we picked them up a few years ago to sell and the sound quality is great. They are a real contender in that market. My only complaint about the company is the directivity of their line-arrays but that's another story. I would heartily recommend the DAS Audio speakers.

If I was going for a portable system I would recommend going with the JBL PRX gear. It's tried and true and I have three different portable churches that run PRX tops and love them.
Old Wednesday, March 31st, 2010, 08:33 AM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankursamtaney View Post
Hey guys, just ran into this forum on the web, so this is my first post. Happened to see this post with 3 'No Behringer' signs, despite which I'd like to mentioned that Behringer's newer products are apparently far more reliable than some of their older ones (from 5 years ago). Someone mentioned the B1520DSPs which are pretty old, heavy wooden cabinets. Their newer plastic cabinets which I've used are pretty neat, powerful and clean-sounding.

Anyway, they JUST unweilled their upcoming range of gear at the NAMM last weekend. You should check out the B812NEO, which seemed pretty impressive to me. Those speakers seem like great value for money. Also some 15" active subs which should be for under $500 ($399 if i remember correctly). May be worth trying them out at Guitar Centre, if you have an outlet close by. If you don't like them, you can always exchange them for something else. IF you do try them, do tell me how you find them. Keen on hearing first-hand feedback on these pieces. Thanks.
And some things seem to never change as several of the new Behringer products look suspiciously similar to their competitors' products. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it gets old when it happens too often.

What I have never understood is that some of Behringer's best products have been unique ones. Maybe they are able to offer those at the prices they do by subsidizing them with the money saved on the R&D for many of their other products.

I'm actually most bothered by Behringer's little run in with the FCC a few years ago when they continued to import and sell improperly certified products more than a year after being formally notified of the compliance issues. Whether the initial problem was a misunderstanding or not, I believe that Behringer's response (or lack thereof until hit with a $1,000,000 fine, which generated a much more immediate response in trying to fight the fine) and subsequent actions tell you a lot about the company. Since then I have avoided Behringer products whenever possible, but that is a personal perspective and others may see it differently.
Old Wednesday, March 31st, 2010, 02:02 PM
AVL System Designer

I have a funny story about Behringer to share with you guys. I am not bashing them, I just telling the truth from a non-biased standpoint.

There is a product from Rosetta called the 800 I believe. Behringer engineers reverse engineered one and called it the ADA8000. Well they copied the Rosetta 800 so well they even copied the companies name on the circuit board. The Behringer engineers had no idea that "Rosetta" was a copyright and thought it was part of the circuit pattern. So Behringer sold about 1000 of these before they were caught. If you see a ADA8000 for sale check the serial number and google it. You can find out if that is one of the exact replicas from the Rosetta unit or if it is the inferior copy they were rightfully forced to put out later.

One of my reps told me this story and after researching it a little bit it seems to ring true. So if you crack open one of those orginal Behringer ADA8000 units you will see "ROSETTA" burnt into the circuit board lol
Old Wednesday, March 31st, 2010, 02:04 PM
AVL System Designer

Plus just want to re-iterate I do not HATE behringer, my company sell a lot of their products to small churches who can only afford behringer class gear. I just think the story is funny

The Church Media Community > Audio > Amplification & Speakers