Go Pro!

Go Back   The Church Media Community > Audio > Amplification & Speakers
Forgot Password?
                          Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tuesday, December 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM
New Church Media Member

Bose 801 Speaker System

Does anyone have experience with the Bose 801 Speaker system? I have serached for information on Google, Yahoo and Ask.com and have come up with very little. Anyway, we have this sytem set up as our main FOH sytem in a circular type sanctuary with a capacity of approx. 400 people. 2 speakers flown directly over the front of the stage about 10 feet apart. The system has been in since well before I joined and we have no literature.

We are looking to spend some money on improvements to our sound system (I'm estimating a budget of around $10,000.00 - $15,000.00). Our sound is quite aweful (coverage problems, feedback, and clarity issues) and in fact, I know of several former members who site audio issues as part of the reason they moved on. As much as I would love to gut it and completely start over, I don't see that in the budget.

So what I'm wondering is this...Do I have decent speakers, so that I can focus on other issues such as accoustics, or do I have speakers that are just inadequate for the room and therefore need to focus our resources there? Our services are primarily traditional, but we are trying to move toward blending with contemporary, including live P&W band.

If anyone has had a particularly good or bad experience with these speakers it would be quite helpful in knowing where to start with improvements. What I have have found are blurbs of "bad", but none of these blurbs have elaborated. I have also found a conspicuous lack of any acknowledgement on the bose web-site that there was any predecessor to the Panaray 802 III system on the market today, even in their "discontinued products" section.

Thanks in advance...Jim
Reply With Quote Start a New Topic From This Comment
Old Wednesday, December 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Church Media Mentor
Become a CMN Professional Member!

Jim:
If you're going to go with a blended => contemporary style service, even if the 802's were adequate (which they are not) you need to look at room acoustics. Your circular sanctuary is going to be a big problem with all the open microphones that a contemporary style service may introduce. You also need to consider if you're going to use acoustic or electronic drums. Acoustic drums will introduce even more problems into the room unless you consider a 'cage'.
After the room acoustics are addressed, it will be of utmost importance that the loudspeaker system designed to reduce/eliminate sound reflecting off the back wall in the direction of the talent-worship team-platform.

The 802 system with the old style bass bin ( circa '80's) sounds great outdoors for small to medium venues. I have never been happy with a 802 system indoors.

C.
Old Wednesday, December 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
New Church Media Member

Thanks. We already have electronic drums which helps a lot with the overall sound level.
Old Wednesday, December 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
PoGo Stick Champion

IMHO I would have to highly suggest getting a sound engineer to build you a system. We are currently experiencing some of the same issues that you are facing at our church as well. Any time we have singers or bands come in from outside our church they bring there own portable PA. We are working with Bret Welty. He has a ministry called Sound Harvest. Here is his website www.soundharvest.com . There are many testimonies on the website and one of which is a dome or rounded sanctuary. If you agree to let him he will send you a questionair about the deminsions of your church and what equipment you already have. he will then digitally draw up your church using the deminsions you gave him. Then he can tell you where to place speakers and recommend new equipment that you could buy to improve the all around sound. I have no doubt you will be more than satified with his work. He charges 1100 to reengineer your sound system and at the end of the process he will give you 2 or 3 different solutions to go with. I know that we are at the point to where we have done it wrong so many times that we could have paid for 3 sound systems buy now from him that would have been 100 times better then what we have now. We are installing everything ourselves with his instructions on where and how to do it. If you dont go with Bret I would suggest that you find a sound engineer somewhere to do it. Bret is very reasonable with his pricing and often gives discounts if you go with him for your PA purchase. It has taken us about 9 months to decide that we were going to use him and he has been nothing but awesome through this entire process. He is not pushy and he is very straight forward. He will let you know what will and what wont work. Good luck with your project. Our church can hold about 500 comfortably. I have talked with Bose before about the 802's and he said that they where geared more for speach rather than music. He did say it would work for smaller venues with music.
Old Wednesday, December 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM
The Crazy Analog Guy

I agree; I've never liked 802s, or anything else Bose I've heard.

I'd vote for putting in a new PA that's right for the application and the room, as well as looking at room acoustics. If it sounds like crap before you put speakers in it, it'll sound like louder crap when you do put speakers in it.
Old Friday, December 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
New Church Media Member

Thanks everyone for your input. As we all know, these things are often political in churches, as is the case with these Bose speakers. Believe it or not, I was able to use the information y'all provided to convince some folks we might need to replace them with a more suitable system.

We have elected to hire a consultant to help us figure out the acoustics issue and re-design of our sound system, hence the forked thread for recommendations.

The Church Media Community > Audio > Amplification & Speakers